Author Topic: installation help  (Read 6092 times)

Hi there,

Being totally new to FSO, I have done something incorrectly and my game will not launch. I could use some help please.

So far.....

1. I downloaded and installed Freespace 2 from Steam and it  is now installed with my other Steam Games in.....C:Steam/Steamapps/Common              /Freespace2.

2. I ran the FSO setup .jar  and pointed it to the above file path.

3. When I try to launch I get the error message, "Freespace2 /Fred2 cannot be run from a drive root directory."

My Questions are...

1.  What did I do wrong and how do I recover from this incorrect install.

2. What are the correct file paths needed for the Steam install and the FSO install?

3. In the FSO install do I select both Win 32 and Win64?

4. In the FSO install if I select Advanced Installation, what are all of the other options? If I install them are they just additional mods that I can then select?

Thank you very much.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
1) Did you try to launch the fs2_open....exe directly? That doesn't work you have to launch it through wxLauncher. If you don't have that yet, it should be available on the installer.
2) The paths you used for the Steam install seems correct. It doesn't matter which path you use for FSO as long as it's not in C:\Program Files.
3) You have to select one.
4) Most of them are additional mods. The MediaVPs for example improve the retail FS2 missions and are a requirement for most of the other mods.

EDIT: My previous answer to 3) was wrong.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 05:05:15 am by ngld »

Wow.....

It worked!

I now have the wxLauncher and it opens the game just fine. I have the MediaVPs 2014 and the No Mod version available.

1.  If I want all of the Advanced Mods do I just rerun the FSO Installer and select them?

2. The Opening Intro movie is very pixelated on my 55" screen. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks!

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
1) You can either run the installer again or go find the mod folders individually either through the campaign list on the wiki, Freespacemods.net, or on the campaign release posts.

2) The opening is the video file from 1999 at a resolution of that era. I don't know if mjn.mixael is still working on higher resolution/updated versions of all the Freespace 2 scenes.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Ok boys and girls, here's the thing.

Apologies in advance for such an abrupt free-falling entry,
but it's a matter of dire importance, haste and emergency.

Installed Freespace 2 from GoG, Downloaded
all the packs, modes, contents, etc. from community site, through
the installer... and now I'm stuck, with the game not starting.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but, there should be two individual installation
folders, correct? One for the 'clean' FS 2 game installation, and a second one,
labeled 'Freespace2' for the community created content(s).

I was getting a 'missing avcodec-57.dll ' error, which I have solved (or at least I believe I did so)
by downloading it from online site and pasting it into a Windows\System 32\....folder.

Now, when starting a wxLauncher, I'm getting a application error labeled

(0xc000007b) - application was unable to start correctly.

In the wxLauncher itself, on the bottom of the welcome page,
I'm getting a 'FS2 Open did not generate a flag file' message.

All four executables get recognized by the wxLauncher,
but when I try to browse-select them, it fails to do so.

----------------------------------------

Hardware wise, I'm running a Win 7 Pro,
with Core i5 and 6 GB of ram.

Ati graphics (Radeon HD 7650 mobile)
as well as the shi%$y Intel HD4000 or
whatever it's been called.

Obviously, it's a laptop, not desktop.

Any further guidance would be, and will be, hugely appreciated.

Yours sincerely,
Primero Ultimo :D

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but, there should be two individual installation
folders, correct? One for the 'clean' FS 2 game installation, and a second one,
labeled 'Freespace2' for the community created content(s).
No; your regular FS2 installation should be in a folder named 'Freespace2', and FSO should go into that folder.

I was getting a 'missing avcodec-57.dll ' error, which I have solved (or at least I believe I did so)
by downloading it from online site and pasting it into a Windows\System 32\....folder.
Never ever ever do this. Ever.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

No; your regular FS2 installation should be in a folder named 'Freespace2', and FSO should go into that folder.

Well now, that was short to the point.

And by none the less than the Ctulhu programmer himself!

Ok so.....  I guess I should delete that dll file?

What's the alternative? And deinstall the GoG installation and install it into the FSO folder, right?

Sorry for nagging you...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

Well now, that was short to the point.

And by none the less than the Ctulhu programmer himself!

Ok so.....  I guess I should delete that dll file?

What's the alternative? And deinstall the GoG installation and install it into the FSO folder, right?

Sorry for nagging you...

Pretty sure you can just cut - paste (or right-click > drag) the GOG install to the FSO install, or perhaps better the other way.  You know the location of both, so once you have them combined, you can just move them to the other location if it doesn't work right.

Also, as for your missing file, this should fix it:

https://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html#build-windows

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
You shouldn't have to install FFmpeg. The necessary files should have been installed by the installer. That the DLL is missing in the first place means that something went wrong during the installation. Can you post a screenshot with the contents of your FSO folder?

Huh, I will get to it as soon as possible.

The reason of my haste on this matter is the following fact;

Tomorrow I'm leaving to joint the ship,
and I'll be stuck there for 4-5 months,
so if I don't sort this out now,
there gonna be no space adventures for this rookie pilot.

I'll hit you back with feedback how did reverse installation go...

Thnx, once again.

Offline m!m

The FFmpeg DLLs are included in the standard executable downloads so you shouldn't need to download them separately. Make sure that you extract all the files from the zip file. You also cannot have 32-bit and 64-bit executables at the same time so you will have to choose which ones you want to use (I recommend the 64-bit executables).

The FFmpeg DLLs are included in the standard executable downloads so you shouldn't need to download them separately. Make sure that you extract all the files from the zip file. You also cannot have 32-bit and 64-bit executables at the same time so you will have to choose which ones you want to use (I recommend the 64-bit executables).

Errrm..... what zip file are you talking about?

Thank you.

Is there any log file i can copy paste to you guys from FSO installation process,
so that it's easier for you to see what went wrong, instead me spamming you here on a daily basis for nothing?

Further on - deinstalled the game, installed it again into the same folder where FSO installation files are,
deleted manually previously mentioned avcodec.dll file from the Windows\System32 folder,
now again I'm getting the missing file message plus the same old error message
((0xc000007b) - application was unable to start correctly.)

I'm all ears and long range sensors :D

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
You could try to delete all DLL and EXE files from your FSO folder and then reinstall FS2 Open through the installer. Select only the 64bit version this time.

You could try to delete all DLL and EXE files from your FSO folder and then reinstall FS2 Open through the installer. Select only the 64bit version this time.

Pardon, just to clarify - you mean DELETE or DEINSTALL the files?

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
delete

It's over, no more time, leaving for few hours, can't go through all that now.

Talk to you all back again in March/April :/

Still, thanks for your assistance, much appreciated.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Someone should've hooked up with him on Discord..  :(

Someone should've hooked up with him on Discord..  :(

What's Discord?

Explain yourself, pilot :D  :lol:

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
It's a chat / VoIP system like Skype or Teamspeak though it's mostly used for text chat.

Here's the link to join HLP's server