Author Topic: Gender objectification in games  (Read 87221 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Gender objectification in games
If the reviewer is not to take points off of a game as a result of their opinions of its content, then what, exactly, is the difference between a review and an advertisement?

When was the last time you saw an advertisement that said "This film is ****. You shouldn't go watch it"?

The difference between an advert and a review is pretty clear. A review examines the problems with a game and tells you whether or not its worth your time and money. An advert does not. It simply says you should buy it.

For the third time, if you want to argue that political context is an important part of whether a game has or doesn't have problems, argue that. But trying to make a silly claim that without that it is simply an advert even though there are other factors that are hugely important in a good game review doesn't help your cause at all. It simply makes you look like you don't know what you are talking about.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
No, don't argue.  Discuss.  We've been arguing for pages and pages and pages and it's disgusting how useless it's been except to piss people off.  This quibbling about definitions is significantly less than helpful in contributing to a good discussion.  We've managed (for a few posts, at least) to successfully move the topic to something less desultory.  Now can we please successfully move the tone to something less combative?

Politicizing reviews I think is a good thing because it treats gaming as a mature/respectable medium. The people who argue for gaming to be taken seriously has to accept games as something more than entertainment. If games are to be on the same level as movies, operas, dances, poetry, music, or photography; people have to take it into account of cultural influences. External influences shape culture, and for games influence culture regardless of what gamers think.

If gamers do not want games to be taken seriously, then certain places like Kotaku are not for them and they should consider going to sites that cater to their taste. Attempting to aggressively shut down Kotaku is childish. But it's hypocritical to think that games can be treated as a respectable media without including social/political critiques.
What if you don't care about any of that and you just care about having fun with a hobby?

I'm not going to stop someone reviewing a game however they want to. But I don't care about any of that stuff. All I care about is if I am going to like the game, and first and foremost to that is gameplay.

Would TotalBiscuit's "WTF is..." series be a good measure of what gaming reviews should be like?

I do not care if the World views gaming as a respectable or mature medium. That has zero impact on my enjoyment of a game. And may negatively impact on my enjoyment of future games, due to people caring about such things instead of simply making a game which is fun to play and letting their creativity run loose unfettered by such considerations.

I don't really see how gaming being seen as a creative medium can limit creativity. I'd think that having to listen to your publisher's wims has far more impact on your creative freedoms then anything else.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Sorry the derail, but I am even more confounded now.

When I made a big post earlier on celebrating diversity of reviews and calling for it.

So I felt bad about my outburst earlier and decided to read your "celebration on diversity of reviews", but if

Me personally I think that is exactly what a reviewer should be doing. Grading the game based on their honest opinion. With no external influences.

... If an outside external pressure is put on game reviewers, that balance is destroyed.

is what you call celebrating a "diversity of reviews" and not treating a single site as a microcosm of video game review sites, then we have already failed to meet before we even began.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I am reading, you think that a single that when a single review includes social commentaries that it will have a domino effect on all other gaming review sites and thus will affect all games? If I'm misreading, please enlighten me.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
No, don't argue.  Discuss.  We've been arguing for pages and pages and pages and it's disgusting how useless it's been except to piss people off.  This quibbling about definitions is significantly less than helpful in contributing to a good discussion.  We've managed (for a few posts, at least) to successfully move the topic to something less desultory.  Now can we please successfully move the tone to something less combative?

I couldn't agree more. I meant argue as in argue your point, not as in start an argument. :)

Offline Luis Dias

What are you protesting against? The expansion of games' subject matter into potentially political areas? That's where you wanna dig the trench? Spare me the lamentations that serious games are being made and have critics to accompany them. There'll always be a market for the Serious Sams of the industry for you. You don't have to read or play **** you don't like.

You understood me wrong. I agree with Errant Signal's video completely (big fan of his youtube work btw, seen them all). I was just describing what I feel is the reaction to the increasing political awareness in games. Errant is absolutely right in the sense that if anyone believes these things were ever "neutral" or never had "politics" in them they are amazingly naive or just been abhorrently blind to what has been going on in games for the past, IDK, two decades? I think that people who actually think these influences should be "out of games" are, in a sense, naive. But not completely, but I'll get back to this point below.

Meanwhile, the thing is, it's getting more and more balkanizing by the moment. If until now we could obviously read some game's "political" messages, if at least they were just messages of a kind of metal rock expression like DooM, or literally political treatises like BioShock, it was rarely the case that games got chastised for their choices in this respect. I think that this righteousness that is dividing games between "good ones" and "bad ones", in other words moralizing game mechanic choices according to a particular set of ideologies is the more recent trend. Suddenly we are not just becoming aware of all these cultural expressions with different political leanings, we are also morally judging them as Good or Evil from the standards raised by a few. This is balkanizing the game landscape.

Again, don't take me wrong. This is perhaps for the best in the long run, because as Errant says "with great power comes great responsibility", and if games are to be these amazing cultural artifacts, then they are to be held to everyone's higher standards. But there's something lost in this "awareness and moral judgement" activism phase. To go back to the point I said I was going to get back to, there's something novel in putting these concerns into the "superego" of the society where they were not until now. Until now, we could all pretend games were "just about fun". That was the prevailing ideology, under which we could then discuss and express our politics, our social ideas, our utopias or prejudices but without the gaze of this Big Other One (the superego) judging us from above, because all that he "knew" was that "games are just about fun". Now, this superego knows that games are much more than this, "games are about politics", and now no one is innocent. Everyone and every game is under this new gaze of awareness, and thus their own honesty and expression are somewhat lost, tarred, "politcally corrected" in some sense.

Not only "games are about politics" now, and this is what is most jarring, "Games are another Tool of the Patriarchal White Supremacist Oppression" is the attempted notion of the new Superego. And people are fighting about this superego notion of Games. This is the notion that is under a Culture War, and the source of all this drama. Just take Admiral Ralwood quoting Desmond Tutu about the correlation between "neutrality" and "complicity of oppression". Yes people, you got it right, Games are oppressing women and minorities just like the Apartheid, and if you dare be "neutral" in this, you're no better than the white supremacist oppressive anti-feminist rape apologist mysoginistic cabal.

Why do you wonder there's rage over this bizarre morality that is getting their ways into the mainstream? "Gamers are mysoginists" is a trope now that is reaching kids ears nowadays. Think about that fact for a moment. What crazy world are you creating in the name of the Blissful Utopia?

Offline Luis Dias

Now, if you have an hour to spare, make sure you listen to this interview by Sargon of Akkad to the Young Capitalists. Throw away your prejudices about who's who in this, I'm pretty sure everyone in this forum will actually like what is being said and approve of pretty much everything the young capitalists guy is saying. More to the point, he speaks extremely well and about things that I had little knowledge about, not the petty drama details, but the wider discussion, why they are doing what they are doing and how. He seems to be extremely well aware of all the issues involved here, and if that guy isn't a feminist, I don't know what he can be.

The kind of discussion he is bringing to the table is such a good thing, and it might bring some lights why this fight is occurring in the first place. Nevermind my words here, still listening and parsing after all. Go listen to it, and if anyone replies with a "but isn't that Sargon guy the same guy that..." then just go away I don't care about what you have to say. That kind of attitude will get nowhere really fast with me.

Aren't TFYC the peope who decided to lie about ZQ to advance their own monetary position? Because this video propogates those blatant lies the first 30 seconds in. EDIT: I do not wish to partake in a discussion with these people - for the sake of making this discussion non-combatative.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 09:50:48 am by -Joshua- »

Offline Luis Dias

There's no evidence whatsoever they ever lied about this at all, we only have Zoe Quinn "saying stuff". But that wasn't the point of the video at all and in that vein, thanks for doing exactly what I asked you not to. This is not going anywhere if you deny reading what you perceive as your "enemies". If you can't come out of the ivory tower you built up around your position you will learn nothing with this exchange.

Well, then again, why do I bother? It's your ****ing loss, not mine. Savor your ignorance and simple minded bunkerized opinions for all I care.

EDIT: I do not wish to partake in a discussion with these people - for the sake of making this discussion non-combatative.

.... aaaaand there you go. A certain picture of a monkey with their ears closed comes to mind. Isn't it great to not listen to people that might disagree with your perspectives? Am I the only one who has problems with this attitude? The video, unlike Joshua's sleazy accusation, is not lying at all in the first 30 seconds in. It is a ****ing fact that Zoe Quinn did attack TYFC's campaign on twitter ranting how it was such a blatant exploitation and how it was transphobic and so on, leading to a twitter kerfuffle on the whole thing. So those 30 second words are nowhere near lying material. But hey if it makes you sleep better.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:14:45 am by Luis Dias »

Offline Lorric

So I felt bad about my outburst earlier and decided to read your "celebration on diversity of reviews", but if

Well, that's different. Maybe we can talk. But I don't want you to jump down my throat again, so please, can we keep this civil if we keep talking?

is what you call celebrating a "diversity of reviews" and not treating a single site as a microcosm of video game review sites, then we have already failed to meet before we even began.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I am reading, you think that a single that when a single review includes social commentaries that it will have a domino effect on all other gaming review sites and thus will affect all games? If I'm misreading, please enlighten me.

But I am puzzled by this. I don't think a single review will domino onto other reviews. I wouldn't even be too bothered if political reviews became the norm as long as there was still a healthy fringe of reviews about just the game only.

Now from your post, the impression I got is you think people who want games to be taken seriously want reviews to be political. And if you don't, then that means you don't want games to be taken seriously. I didn't like that. So I posted about what if that doesn't matter to you? I chose this hobby because it suits me. I don't care what the rest of the World thinks, that has no impact on whether I enjoy a game or not, whether the World decides to think gaming is super cool and the best thing since sliced bread, or whether the World goes back to me growing up, when gaming was seen as "uncool" and having idiots in my face telling me gaming is for nerds, throwing out the classic negative stereotypes, and telling me to get a "real" hobby, that doesn't change what is right for me.

I also don't think games have to be political to be taken seriously or viewed as art. And that games can be taken seriously and seen as art without any political aspect, or even regardless of political aspect. An example of an apolitical but serious game series would be Gran Turismo. An example of art purely on its own merits would be imo from my Massive Cities thread in the Gaming section. Go check out the video I posted of a tour of Divinity's Reach. Or anything from Ni No Kuni:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ni+no+kuni&num=30&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=-9VHVK6YAovd7QaY_oDoCw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1024&bih=653

Offline Luis Dias

You should really watch that Errant Signal's video, Lorric, because you seem to have missed the point.

Offline Lorric

You should really watch that Errant Signal's video, Lorric, because you seem to have missed the point.
Thank you Luis. That was very interesting.

“Already regrets the conversation taking place in the comments below this video: Chris Franklin” :D

That video I largely agree with. And yeah, I see a lot better where SypheDMar is coming from now I think.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:58:14 am by Lorric »

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
This is the last warning to cut that he-said she-said bull**** out of this thread.  I don't care if I agree wholeheartedly with the message, the next person to try to rebut a position based on who said what to whom as if that matters to the salient point in the slightest is getting a formal warning.

I'm not sure how to make this more clear.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I think there are very few people in the whole affair who haven't said something objectionable by this point. So I'm going to agree with Scotty on this one and say that if you're going to use "They said x...." as a reason to ignore someone I suggest you ignore GG / Anti-GG completely or at the very least leave the thread voluntarily before we have to kick you out.

Offline Luis Dias

The most saddening part is how in that TYFC interview, I was so pleasantly surprised on how knowledgeable the interviewee is about feminism, how he is such a defendent of it, how interesting his conversation about all these activisms surrounding games and so on actually are, etc. To watch this source of wisdom being so flippantly ignored in such a way really angered me. Sorry about that.

Since the video revolves around a lot of recent events and anecdotes, I am not sure how to even engage with it without resorting to the same "he said she said bs" that we have been specifically warned about. The video involves quite a bit of anecdotes of TFYC being attacked by people, and their telling of the events is something I don't neccisarely agree with - unforunately, both me and the video are then resorting to the "he said she said BS". Hence my statement that I would not engage with in order to make this thread less combatative. I pondered on removing the original comment, but I decided to let it stand after I fussed about it a bit too long and it was likely that people read it anyway - and it seemed dishonest to remove it.

I did actually watch parts of it. Despite your recurring claims (which I do not appreciate), I actually *AM* interested in people with other perspectives -  I wouldn't be in Gendisc, posting threads or discussing points, otherwise. I currently do not have the time for a full 2 hour vid, and I must say that the vid did not interest me up to a point where I wanted to watch two hours of it. I don't feel the need to discuss it since the bits that I watched don't seem to make points which I can discuss in the context of this thread (either points that involve gamergate, or points that I don't disagree with). If you have any particular points you wish to discuss, I will. But please point me to *which* particular points those are.

What are you protesting against? The expansion of games' subject matter into potentially political areas? That's where you wanna dig the trench? Spare me the lamentations that serious games are being made and have critics to accompany them. There'll always be a market for the Serious Sams of the industry for you. You don't have to read or play **** you don't like.

You understood me wrong. I agree with Errant Signal's video completely (big fan of his youtube work btw, seen them all). I was just describing what I feel is the reaction to the increasing political awareness in games. Errant is absolutely right in the sense that if anyone believes these things were ever "neutral" or never had "politics" in them they are amazingly naive or just been abhorrently blind to what has been going on in games for the past, IDK, two decades? I think that people who actually think these influences should be "out of games" are, in a sense, naive. But not completely, but I'll get back to this point below.

Meanwhile, the thing is, it's getting more and more balkanizing by the moment. If until now we could obviously read some game's "political" messages, if at least they were just messages of a kind of metal rock expression like DooM, or literally political treatises like BioShock, it was rarely the case that games got chastised for their choices in this respect. I think that this righteousness that is dividing games between "good ones" and "bad ones", in other words moralizing game mechanic choices according to a particular set of ideologies is the more recent trend. Suddenly we are not just becoming aware of all these cultural expressions with different political leanings, we are also morally judging them as Good or Evil from the standards raised by a few. This is balkanizing the game landscape.

Again, don't take me wrong. This is perhaps for the best in the long run, because as Errant says "with great power comes great responsibility", and if games are to be these amazing cultural artifacts, then they are to be held to everyone's higher standards. But there's something lost in this "awareness and moral judgement" activism phase. To go back to the point I said I was going to get back to, there's something novel in putting these concerns into the "superego" of the society where they were not until now. Until now, we could all pretend games were "just about fun". That was the prevailing ideology, under which we could then discuss and express our politics, our social ideas, our utopias or prejudices but without the gaze of this Big Other One (the superego) judging us from above, because all that he "knew" was that "games are just about fun". Now, this superego knows that games are much more than this, "games are about politics", and now no one is innocent. Everyone and every game is under this new gaze of awareness, and thus their own honesty and expression are somewhat lost, tarred, "politcally corrected" in some sense.

I am suddenly reminded of this new video game trailer coming out. The one about "Hatred" - that video game where the whole point of the game is to shoot innocent civilians. It was specifically created to make a game which was not politically correct, because the game creator's felt that games were getting too politically correct.

I think that is silly. This is a world where the best selling game ever is GTAV, which is basically the south park of video games, up to and including a torture scene which involves electrifying people's balls. This is a world where the best selling game genre involves walking up to middle eastern people and stabbing them in the throat. If "politicall correctness" is now the new effect of the "Superego", I am not seeing any of it's effects.

And finally, I do not think that someone's honesty and expression is lost when it is viewed by more people. If anything, more people should allow someone's expression and honesty to truly shine: When somebody makes potentionally unpopular statements in front of a large audience, it means that one truly means this and is willing to take responsibility for what he claims. Without this "superego", these statements ultimately become as meaningless as the random things you say to yourself.

Not only "games are about politics" now, and this is what is most jarring, "Games are another Tool of the Patriarchal White Supremacist Oppression" is the attempted notion of the new Superego. And people are fighting about this superego notion of Games. This is the notion that is under a Culture War, and the source of all this drama. Just take Admiral Ralwood quoting Desmond Tutu about the correlation between "neutrality" and "complicity of oppression". Yes people, you got it right, Games are oppressing women and minorities just like the Apartheid, and if you dare be "neutral" in this, you're no better than the white supremacist oppressive anti-feminist rape apologist mysoginistic cabal.

Why do you wonder there's rage over this bizarre morality that is getting their ways into the mainstream? "Gamers are mysoginists" is a trope now that is reaching kids ears nowadays. Think about that fact for a moment. What crazy world are you creating in the name of the Blissful Utopia?

I find this massive hyperbole to be... hyperbolic. Also a strawman argument. If you are going to claim that people are claiming "that games are opressing women and minorities just like the Apartheid", I'd rather see some rather concrete examples of where this is happening in this thread. I do wonder why there's rage over this bizarre morality that is getting their ways into the mainstream - as I simply have not seen this bizarre morality enter the mainstream at all!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 03:11:51 pm by -Joshua- »

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Since the video revolves around a lot of recent events and anecdotes, I am not sure how to even engage with it without resorting to the same "he said she said bs" that we have been specifically warned about. The video involves quite a bit of anecdotes of TFYC being attacked by people, and their telling of the events is something I don't neccisarely agree with - unforunately, both me and the video are then resorting to the "he said she said BS". Hence my statement that I would not engage with in order to make this thread less combatative. I pondered on removing the original comment, but I decided to let it stand after I fussed about it a bit too long and it was likely that people read it anyway - and it seemed dishonest to remove it.

This belies a fundamental way of thinking at odds with discussion aimed at being civil - and I'm willing to bet it's not on purpose, or even a conscious effort.  The guidelines, much as I curse the sky at the day they became a thing (for reasons I'll enumerate later), state fairly plainly: Address the argument, not the person.  I'm going to (provisionally) say that the same holds true for articles and evidence.  Address the point being made, not the person making it.  It's okay to disagree.  It's okay to say you disagree.  Your disagreement should not be based on who is speaking, but rather what is being said.  If you resort to painting the speaker as the problem with the viewpoint, you will be given a warning and a couple days off, so sayeth the mod.

And now I'm going to explain why the forum guidelines are fundamentally flawed, and why any attempt at formally regulated moderation is fundamentally flawed.  HLP is full of intelligent, creative people, and those intelligent, creative people use their intelligence and creativity to skirt as close to breaking the guidelines as they possibly can with distressing regularity.  I'm firmly convinced that this effort is ultimately unintentional, but consider one of the good pieces of advice offered here since the discussion of the guidelines: Be prepared to present evidence to support factual points.  This is a reasonable point.  HLP has utterly twisted this into some bastard form of: Be prepared to present evidence to support your personal opinion, when evidence is neither helpful nor necessary.  I'm going to use this thread as a fantastic example of that, especially in the last few pages before I tried to lay down the law.

My first attempt to steer the discussion back toward a Good Topic (tm) was based on finding a beneficial (or at least non-harmful) ideal within the morass of GG.  Instead of actually addressing the point, the immediate response was to pick at the single part of my point that mattered the least (that GG could possibly agree on a good thing) and attack it.  GG wasn't the point, and yet it was immediately the subject of discussion because someone thought my perception of events was wrong and needed correction despite the actual events not mattering in the slightest.  I switched the direction of my attempt, and was rewarded with another rebuttal relating to what GG does and does not say - the substance of the issue was completely ignored in favor of this.  You all saw my frustrated response.

That frustration was not aimed at the fact that someone was disagreeing with me, it was aimed at the fact that someone was disagreeing with me based on who did or did not say something, not because the point itself was disagreeable.  That's what generated the declaration that arguing the person rather than the point is an actionable offense.  The important thing to note is that the person disagreeing did not even realize there was a problem, and strictly according to the guidelines, there wasn't.  This despite the evidence that such disagreement and discussion tactics directly contributed to the degeneration of this thread despite the intentions of all involved.

The crux of the issue is this: Posters on HLP (and GenDisc in particular), consciously or unconsciously, deliberately or incidentally, are heavily inclined to subvert the intent of the forum guidelines while adhering to the letter.  The exact method differs, and the "civility" of responses differs, but this is what I've noticed over the course of several of this threads as they degenerate into ****fests.  Therefore, until someone stops me I will moderate discussion in a fashion that adheres to the forum guidelines' intent of facilitating civil discussion, but I will be disregarding the letter of the guidelines.  HLP is far too good at being just civil enough to avoid inviting serious action to continue on the previous course of action.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
That's kind of how SA works, or did work, was that the mods are competent people and they're allowed to ban people subjectively for being ****heads.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

The 'did work' qualifier there speaks volumes.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Felicia Day spoke out against Gamergate and was doxxed within an hour of posting. I'm sure it's a coincidence.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 09:25:57 pm by Mr. Vega »
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes