Author Topic: Hiigaran Interceptor WIP shots (feedback and ideas appreciated)  (Read 10537 times)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Hiigaran Interceptor WIP shots (feedback and ideas appreciated)

For those of you who want to see the model, go here. HTML5/webgl capable browser required i believe.

The cockpit and the gun have not yet been modelled and thats why the front looks a bit "empty" :p
In any case, i am a bit stuck on what more to add to the base model, so if anyone has any ideas, pece demands your opinion!

My personal polycount budget is 6k triangles for the main mesh.
Textures will be 20482

Smoothing is not actually finalised in any way, shape or form.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Re: Hiigaran Interceptor WIP shots (feedback and ideas appreciated)
The wings... although this is probably not an aerospace fighter... would look better with actual aerofoil sections. This will subtlely enhance the sleekness of the design. I really like the work done on intake section, though.

:yes:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
care to explain what an aerofoil actually is? i have barely the basest knowledge of aircraft nomenclature...
nevermind that, quick wiki search explained the basic, but how do you mean it in the relation to the model?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Here's a simple prototype:

"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Aesaar

pecenipicek: I think you've made the wings too curvy.   I don't think beveling the leading and trailing edges was necessary.  Makes them look really weird, imo.  I'm also not fond of what you did with the engines.  The fighter's supposed to look angular.  The top looks fine, but the wings and the engines look off.

limdaepl made an absolutely stunning high-poly version of the Hiigaran Interceptor.  He contributed to Wing Commander Saga, so it might be worth asking him if you can use his model.  If he does, I'd happily do the converting (if you want).  If not, it's at least worth looking at for reference.

I don't mean to sound harsh.  It's just that this is possibly my favorite fighter design ever, and I've got a very clear image in my mind of what a high poly version looks like.  limdaepl nailed it perfectly.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 08:53:32 pm by Aesaar »

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
care to explain what an aerofoil actually is? i have barely the basest knowledge of aircraft nomenclature...
nevermind that, quick wiki search explained the basic, but how do you mean it in the relation to the model?

Thaeris means vary the thickness of the wings like with traditional aerospace wings... not necessarily alter the planar profile of the wings.

Oh, looks good btw.  :yes:
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I think you've made the wings too curvy.   I don't think beveling the leading and trailing edges was necessary.  Makes them look really weird, imo.  I'm also not fond of what you did with the engines.  The fighter's supposed to look angular.  The top looks fine, but the wings and the engines look off.

Not to be rude, but pece is modelling this based on what he wants the fighter to look like. This may not conform to your wishes.
As for myself, I find it hard to choose between the two models; but given that pece is building this according to the needs of the game engine, I am inclined to side with him on this one. Offline render models are rarely, if ever, possible to convert to real-time models; just ask the various people who worked on the new Hatshepsut, the new Collossus, or the new Arcadia models.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Aesaar

The E: You're quite right.  He's under no obligation whatsoever to listen to me.  If he prefers his interceptor that way, then he certainly shouldn't change it for my sake.

However, he asked for feedback, and I gave mine.  I was not under the impression that only positive feedback was allowed.  I don't think I was rude or mean (if I was, it wasn't my intention).

Lowering detail is not something that's all that difficult to do (the most time consuming part is reworking the UV map).  In fact, a high-poly model is immensely useful for generating normal maps for a lower-poly one.  And I think pecenipicek already plans on doing that, since there's little reason to model the panel lines otherwise.  Using an existing model might save him some time.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
The E: You're quite right.  He's under no obligation whatsoever to listen to me.  If he prefers his interceptor that way, then he certainly shouldn't change it for my sake.

However, he asked for feedback, and I gave mine.  I was not under the impression that only positive feedback was allowed.  I don't think I was rude or mean (if I was, it wasn't my intention).
True.
Lowering detail is not something that's all that difficult to do.  In fact, a high-poly model is immensely useful for generating normal maps for a lower-poly one.  And I think pecenipicek already plans on doing that, since there's little reason to model the panel lines otherwise.  Using an existing model might save him some time.
No, but doing it properly and not ending up with a mess might take up as much time as making a completely new model. And no, this is not going to be used for generating normal maps either. If i just wanted to make normal maps, i could just have taken relic's interceptor, fixed the textures a bit and just make a completely new normal map. I do not want to use Relic's work for TAP directly.

Modelling in the panel lines results in some very very tasty speculars. And i'll just point you at the overall polycount on the p3d link so far. as i've said, my poly budget is 6000 triangles for this model. And i havent bothered optimising it much yet either.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's true that some of the detail in that model _looks_ extraneous. But, at an overall polycount of ~6k, those are polygons well spent; given that these fine details would otherwise depend on the normal map not being affected by texture compression.

The basic shape of the Interceptor, as well as the texture job, do not really give that much room for large-scale greebling (IIRC, anyway), so spending polygons on small details makes sense.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken