Author Topic: Colossus  (Read 167678 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Sorry for posting here again, but has anyone still contact with ragingloli?
I wanted to ask him for the usage of the Colli and Sathanas in another mod but i got no answer (and yes, i´ve waited a while for it).  :(
If it's a mod for FS, you can do it. Same as with every MVP asset, really. Either make Mediavps a dependency or extract the model. If it's a non-FS mod, then the water is a bit murkier. Still, Mediavps are a group effort and IIRC, Ragingloli wasn't the only one working on this ship. Someone on FSU team will likely know what to do.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Dragon, I hope you realized you just responded to a post that is more than a year old...
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Only when I woke up the next morning. :) Shouldn't have posted in the middle of the night, I guess...

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
See,  this is why I think we should have a central WiP assets database.  If someone disappears, work can be finished by the rest of the team without having to try and track that person down for the files, and old files are still available if needed. 
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I'm pretty sure the FSU team is already using SVN for WIP & released assets ;)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline BirdofPrey

Apparently not all of them if they only have finished files and not source files for things like this.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This idea is brought up often. It's just not realistic to force modders and artists to have to upload their content to a file system every time they work on a project. What do we do if they don't upload? What if they want to keep their project hidden until it's done for a big reveal? What if they want to avoid much of the (usually) controversial feedback regarding FSU upgrades?

By the time we answer all those questions in a way that satisfies everyone (unlikely), we'll basically have the system we have now. Make a model, post when you want and FSU will save it, whether it's completed or WIP.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
What if they want to avoid much of the (usually) controversial feedback regarding FSU upgrades?
This should be very much discouraged by FSU, preferably in favor of learning how to take criticism. Community feedback is important for models, especially ones that could go into MVPs.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
and yet it is a fact of HLP
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What if they want to avoid much of the (usually) controversial feedback regarding FSU upgrades?
This should be very much discouraged by FSU, preferably in favor of learning how to take criticism. Community feedback is important for models, especially ones that could go into MVPs.

The community doesn't know how to give feedback constructively, and so a perpetual cycle was born. But that is neither here nor there.

FSU's job is not to regulate how or what modders create or how they create it, share it, or submit it. When an asset becomes available (finished, or WIP) we save it, test it, complete it and put it into the MediaVPs. That's all. Artists are free to create how, when, and what they want. I believe that putting rules on those sorts of things will begin to act as a barrier to artists creating anything at all for the MediaVPs.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Understood, but perhaps some modders might be willing to use a voluntary ftp location or something, as opposed to making it some sort of rule.  Especially if it was easy to use and also served as a remote backup of their work in the event of an HD crash.  Ask me why I know that's important :p
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That's a good idea!

Offline BirdofPrey

Well I think they should be encouraged to put WiP stuff up just in case.  I do understand some people wanting to keep stuff as a surprise, but when they do reveal it, it sucks to see it then languish in development hell.  Like with this where it would have been easier for you guys to pick up where someone else left off if you had the original texture files, or the Leviathan that seems to be 99% done for the past year.

I know that may come off as entitled, but I do think there's a difference between working on a project for yourself and working on a project for something specific.  It's great seeing the ship someone is working on, but when they specifically single it out for the MVPs or mods, you do kind of get excited, and then when it is left half finished, it's incredibly disappointing (see my continued grousing about the Apollo), and I would hope people would feel more comfortable allowing other's to finish their work if they don't have the time for it.  I know I personally like to finish what I started, but I also like to see something finished regardless of who actually does it.

I'd certainly be willing to upload the .xcf files for what I've been working on in case someone other than me wanted to revisit them for 8k resolution in 5 years or maybe, if I were to become busy after finishing icons for each strikecraft, someone could backfill the larger ships.

As far as feedback when there actually is constructive criticism, it seems to be reasonably sound (looks wonky from X-angle, might look a tad bit better if, there's off geometry here).  The problem is it tends to get drowned out by all the not close enough to stock, crowd and the resulting counterargument that we shouldn't be bound by that and it, in fact, is too MUCH the same.  Every time someone turns a sharp angle into a curve or adds some greebling, someone seems to take exception.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 12:09:07 pm by BirdofPrey »