Author Topic: Release: 3.7.2 Final  (Read 49149 times)

Offline SirKnightly

• George or Keira?
Release: 3.7.2 Final
Happy 3.7.2 Final!  This is functionally identical to trunk r11307, only the version numbers have been changed to protect the troubleshooters.  It is an export of 3.7.2 branch r11329.  This will probably be the last final release build using DirectInput on Windows, hooray!
Previous 3.7.0 Release Thread

Important!!
As always, you need OpenAL installed.  Linux and OS X come with it but Windows users will need to get Creative's OpenAL installer. Alternatively, if Creative's OpenAL doesn't work with your hardware, you can use OpenAL Soft.

Hidden Text: TrackIR Users • Show
Important!!
Also, since the internal code linking for TrackIR was revised, an external DLL is now required for FSO to use TrackIR functions.
The following DLL is simply unpacked in to you main FreeSpace2 root dir.
TrackIR is only supported on Windows.
TrackIR SCP DLL (Mirror) (Mirror) (Mirror)

Launchers, if you don't have one already:
All platforms:  wxLauncher (ongoing project for a unified launcher)

Hidden Text: Alternative Launchers • Show
Windows:  Launcher 5.5g (Mirror) (Mirror) (Mirror) Not compatible with Windows 8, use wxLauncher above
OS X:  Soulstorm's OS X Launcher 3.0
Linux:  YAL or by hand or whatever you can figure out.

Known issues:
  • Open non-feature issues in Mantis: 128
  • See the list of Fix for next release bugs - mark a bug as an elevated priority (high, urgent, immediate) to get it included in that filter.
  • Here is the filter for Target 3.7.2 bugs.

Windows
Compiled on MSVC 2008 SP1

fs2_open_3.7.2.7z (Mirror) (Mirror) (MD5)
This one is based on the SSE2 Optimizations from the MSVC Compiler.

Hidden Text: Alternative builds • Show
If you don't know which one to get, get the second one (no SSE).  If you don't know what SSE means, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_SIMD_Extensions
You can use freely available tools like CPU-Z to check which SSE capabilities your CPU has.

fs2_open_3.7.2_SSE.7z (Mirror) (Mirror) (MD5)
This one is based on the SSE Optimizations from the MSVC Compiler.

fs2_open_3.7.2_NO-SSE.7z (Mirror) (Mirror) (MD5)

fs2_open_3_7_2_WIN9X.zip (Mirror) (Mirror) (MD5)
For Windows 98, Windows ME, and Windows 2000.

What are those SSE and SSE2 builds I keep seeing everywhere?
Your answer is in this topic.

OS X Universal (32/64-bit Intel)
Compiled on Xcode 5.1.1

fs2_open_3.7.2.dmg (Mirror) (Mirror) (MD5)

Hidden Text: Other Platforms, Source Code • Show
Linux 32-bit
Compiled on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32bit, GCC 4.6.3

fs2_open_3.7.2.tar.bz2 (Mirror) (Mirror) (MD5)

FreeBSD 64-bit (experimental, limited support)
Compiled on GhostBSD LXDE 3.0 64-bit, GCC 4.2.1

fs2_open_3.7.2.tar.bz2 (Mirror) (Mirror) (MD5)

Source Code Export (MD5)
fs2_open_3_7_2_src.tgz (Mirror) (Mirror)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 11:03:08 am by chief1983 »

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Re: Release: 3.7.2 Final
Hooray!

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
5 days later lol

Posted to Reddit and facebook
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I'll update the installer config files after my workout.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Great job, SCP team!
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
First post updated with Win9X-compatible builds and a link to the 3.7.0 release thread.

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
All the source mirrors are broke. D:
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
All the source mirrors are broke. D:
While waiting for chief1983 to fix that, the source code for 3.7.2 Final is available through both SVN and Git.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Source exports fixed, found a bug in the release script that only affected final release builds.  Added mirrors for the Win9x builds.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

I'm replaying FS2 with 3.7.2 and the 2014 MediaVPs. In "Into the Maelstrom", one of the freighters/gas miners almost reaches its waypoint, then starts spinning in place. (Sounds like a "must reach these exact coordinates" versus "must get near these coordinates" issue.) In "Speaking in Tongues", the Vasudans fire on the Iceni after saying they won't.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

A good place for posts like this is the FreeSpace and FreeSpace Open Support forum, but it's fine to post here.

I'm replaying FS2 with 3.7.2 and the 2014 MediaVPs. In "Into the Maelstrom", one of the freighters/gas miners almost reaches its waypoint, then starts spinning in place. (Sounds like a "must reach these exact coordinates" versus "must get near these coordinates" issue.)

This can happen on rare occasions.  Most infamously, it has been seen when the Galatea reaches the jump node in the FS1/FSPort mission "Paving the Way".  It has to do with the coordinates, as you surmised.  Try rebooting the computer to clear the RAM.

In "Speaking in Tongues", the Vasudans fire on the Iceni after saying they won't.

Don't worry about that.  It's a case of the mission events not quite adhering to the story.

This will probably be the last final release build using DirectInput on Windows, hooray!

Will this affect the support for older devices in future builds?

I am asking, because i bought a newly restored Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 a few weeks ago that uses only DirectInput and afaik do not fully support XInput (lack of Force Feedback, switched axis etc.).
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline LHN91

We are moving to SDL, (not Xinput) to move in line with the Linux/MacOS codebase, and as far as I know this shouldn't affect support for older joysticks. Might have to wait for someone more familiar with it to comment.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well, I should clarify that the idea is we'll be moving to SDL everywhere, including on Windows.  I believe SDL on Windows is still using DirectInput as a backend, so theoretically the joystick should still work, and joysticks have in fact been working fine with this code.  However, I've had terrible luck getting Force Feedback working on Windows with the SDL everywhere code so far, so having some more testers and bug reporters for that code will be very helpful in the coming weeks.

Ah okay. Thanks for the answer.

I am glad, that i get Force Feedback to work with this stick under Windows 7. It was somewhat tricky. So i hope, that this will work in the future too. Because i never play with FF before and i already start to like it :).
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline Vrets

Hooray for continued development!

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
All the source mirrors are broke.

I hear that's 7 years bad luck.  :drevil:
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Echelon9

Well done to all.

Offline Jackho

• Gnoti seauton ...
    • Downloads an al
So far,

It's running like a charm with every mod I tried, congratulations for this !   :yes:  :yes:  :yes:
Needless to say, you are AWESOME.

:v-old: A+
Jack H.
A+
Jack H. : "Well... There's much more to check than six..."

Offline wistler

Hi, I've downloaded 3.7.2 but for some reason I have black bars down the sides of my screen. I have the resolution set at 1920x1080 which works fine for the previous version. Is there something I'm not doing right?