Author Topic: I built a standing desk  (Read 2777 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I built a standing desk

Ok, more like a standing add-on to a desk. :p Whatever, it works. I've been using it for over 10 minutes now. Here's my observations.

• My monitors were already raised up on that wooden shelf thing, and all were at their lowest vertical extensions. This resulted in their tops being just an inch or two above my eye level when setting down. Now, when I stand, I can easily pull them all up to the height you see here, which is... workable. It's no worse than looking down at a laptop screen in your lap. Ideally they'd be much higher, but there's only so much I can do with wood scraps, a drill, and a saw.
  • I'm glad I left some overhang on the left and right; I find myself gripping those edges—particularly the left one—when I'm just mousing around.
Sorry for the odd blurriness to the image; usually the Google Camera app is better at blurring out things in Lens Blur mode. :p

Incidentally, that monitor on the left is the Dell 2405FPW I got 12 years ago, and it's still in almost perfect working order."Almost" because if I display a full-white image, some areas of the screen are very slightly tan-colored, as if a tiny bit burnt. It's unnoticeable with any normal image displayed on the screen, though.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: I built a standing desk
I'd add a back board or some sort of struts to that bud. 
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Well done!  May this make you a healthier person!   :) :yes2:

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I'd add a back board or some sort of struts to that bud. 

It's actually quite sturdy; I used these Ikea hex screws, and they're pretty amazing:

Although yes, I do plan on adding triangular braces regardless. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Good bit of glue as well I hope ;)

How's it holding up?
Also glad to see you've got back from whatever action you had. :yes:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Nahh, no glue... it's strong enough as-is. Not like I'm going to be sitting on it. :p

I was permanently let go from reserves a few years ago... only action I've had is of the, errr... marital variety. ;)

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
I'm curious about the toilet paper on your desk.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress

:drevil:

Nahh, no glue... it's strong enough as-is. Not like I'm going to be sitting on it. :p

I was permanently let go from reserves a few years ago... only action I've had is of the, errr... marital variety. ;)

I've got 7 years "reactivation" left of my ten year window.  Hope Trump and AFD and Korea get it over with quickly if they're going to do anything.

:nervous:

Anyway,  I'm doodling a ground level Tree House / den / bunker thing for my dogs / unborn child. 

Hashtag nesting right?
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Haha. :rolleyes: I've been sick, and we don't do tissues here for some reason. They also make convenient little napkins for when I'm eating at my desk. Finally, I have a makeshift mosquito catcher using the transparent plastic part of a CD cake and a stiff piece of cardboard (you can vaguely see it blurred out on top of my PC case at the left of the photo). Trap the buggers with the CD cake, slide the cardboard behind it, and shake it around as hard as you can to stun them. Once they're stunned, drop 'em onto the desk and smush with a wad of toilet paper.

Anyway,  I'm doodling a ground level Tree House / den / bunker thing for my dogs / unborn child. 

Hashtag nesting right?

Woodworking is a very fulfilling hobby. :)

And now you've got me curious if there's any SMF mods that bring hashtag support... :p

Incidentally, that monitor on the left is the Dell 2405FPW I got 12 years ago, and it's still in almost perfect working order.

Sunuva...! Spoke too soon. :blah: After 4,431 days (or 12 years, 1 month, and 17 days) of faithful, loyal, Full HD+ service, my Dell 24" 2405FPW monitor turned itself off last night, and adamantly refuses to turn back on.  :( You have served me well, oh venerable one! Rest in peace.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 07:10:15 am by Sandwich »

Offline Mikes

... and shake it around as hard as you can ...  and smush with a wad of toilet paper.

Selective quoting for the win!  :eek2: :eek:

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Sunuva...! Spoke too soon. :blah: After 4,431 days (or 12 years, 1 month, and 17 days) of faithful, loyal, Full HD+ service, my Dell 24" 2405FPW monitor turned itself off last night, and adamantly refuses to turn back on.  :( You have served me well, oh venerable one! Rest in peace.

Did you check whether it's plugged in?

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773

:drevil:

I've got 7 years "reactivation" left of my ten year window.  Hope Trump and AFD and Korea get it over with quickly if they're going to do anything.

:nervous:

Hashtag nesting right?

After the shop is finished, the next big building project for me is the porch roof
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Did you check whether it's plugged in?
Yes.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Get on my level.

"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I have those exact same speakers. They're... decent, I guess. I don't like the "low power mode" they go into though. Annoying.