Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 305135 times)

Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
Latest expanse.
#belterwords

I wish I could watch Season 2  :(

Offline Luis Dias

Caught up with Tanya of the Evil, overall a very satisfying first season.

They kept hyping up some kind of challenger, only to end up an utter disappointment, with no lessons learned, no arc to the main character, nothing whatsoever. Then they end up with another challenger as a cliffhanger.

I liked episode two. It showed potential in the long run. I'm utterly annoyed by now. Same goes for Attack on Titan season 2.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Same goes for Attack on Titan season 2.
Really?  Because I've been enjoying what I've seen of it so far much better than the first season.  Probably because Eren's barely in it: the less he shows up, the better.

Offline Luis Dias

The plot is doing to the titans what it should never do, humanize them. Give them real human faces. Really disliked that. Titans are a mesh of Kaiju and Zombies. And they are slowly being turned into tools of several sorts.

Well, to be fair, they kinda need to evolve as a threat. If they remain just giant zombies, the threat they pose would diminish drastically as soon as the heroes lvl up or tech up.
(Note : Haven't paid too much attention to season 2, I only watched up to episode 4 or 5.)

If we go with the standard threat evolution paths in this context, you've got :
- Shonen inflation syndrome : ever more powerful titan-shifters, leading to the usual power level escalation bull****, which I'm tired of seeing.
- Switch the main threat to humans, in which case the titans become irrelevant.
- Go full Shivan and bring out the Sathanas fleet Colossal titan army (still carries the risk of heroic power inflation).

So, I'd be OK with a "tool-ification" of the titans, as it would help keep them relevant to the plot without necessarily needing to go all "moer powar", and make them more tactically useful (if by "being turned into tools of several sorts." you mean "they are tools for the titan-shifters", otherwise this whole post is irrelevant :nervous:).

Finished Kemono Friends and started rewatching GaoGaiGar and Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta.

The thing that I kinda realize more I watch it, is that Gundam Zeta is really lacking style visually. Lots of details though. Most of the style comes from the music. That and the character interacts are at the same time more stilted and adult at the same time. I should get around to jotting down some changes I'd make to it and ZZ.

imo, I wish the Titan threat became a bit more insidious, ala that episode where the guy sees that Titan. You know the one I mean.

Offline Luis Dias

Well, to be fair, they kinda need to evolve as a threat. If they remain just giant zombies, the threat they pose would diminish drastically as soon as the heroes lvl up or tech up.
(Note : Haven't paid too much attention to season 2, I only watched up to episode 4 or 5.)

Imagine what Mass Effect 3 did to the Reapers.

anime with more than one season was a mistake
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Didn't play Mass Effect 3, so I can't draw any parallels to that ^^. But I see your point.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
When did AoT s2 release?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

New season started airing a couple of months ago. It hasn't finished yet.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Netflix has failed me.  Is it the case for knights of sidonia as well?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Luis Dias

AoT has finished its season. 6/10. Not solid. Many surprises, very little in the way of actual story.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
AoT has finished its season. 6/10. Not solid. Many surprises, very little in the way of actual story.
On the massive plus side, in the last episode I watched, the show hung a lampshade on Eren being ****ing terrible at everything he does.  At least it's self-aware that its main protagonist sucks!

(Plus I feel like if you're watching Titan for coherent plot developments, you're doing it wrong.)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
On the massive plus side, in the last episode I watched, the show hung a lampshade on Eren being ****ing terrible at everything he does.  At least it's self-aware that its main protagonist sucks!

(Plus I feel like if you're watching Titan for coherent plot developments, you're doing it wrong.)

The last episode I watched also had me in stitches for it's BAH GAWD, IT'S THE COLOSSAL TITAN FROM THE TOP ROPE moment

Offline Luis Dias

I'm sorry if I feel like there's a massive waste of writing potential in an incredible setting like that, and feeling that all the time while I'm watching the show, which seems to always focus on the wrong things.

It's done already ? How many episodes are in there ?

Offline Luis Dias

12? 13? Check it in its wiki page.

12 according to Wikipedia. I'm surprised, I figured it'd be in the mid-twenties, like the first season.

That means they must barely have had time to resolve the second sortie behind the Wall. The story can't have had time to progress at all beyond the action stuff.

I thought they'd stop at least neck-deep into (manga spoilers)
Spoiler:
the Revolution and move Historia's arc forward. Then you could have the third season dedicated to the second attempt to get to the basement, the consequences of it, and stop right before the time skip.

Oh well, that means I've only got 6 episodes left to watch, maybe I'll pick it if I've got an afternoon to kill.

So I've been watching a number of animus since I last bothered to post, and I HAVE OPINIONS.

1: "My Hero Academia" continues to be highly entertaining in it's second season. It's really great!

2: On nearly universal recommendation, I watched "Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid", which lived up to expectations fantastically! And it's one of the rare anime that's not based in or even adjacent to high school!

3: I also watched "Kemono Friends" which was really light, and cute, and fluffy. And stealth-educational. Warning: if you hate CG anime, you may need to skip this one.

4: Watched one of the nominees for Longest Anime Title Ever. It is called: "WorldEnd: What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us?"
I'm conflicted on this one. The universe it built is fascinating. The characters introduced have interesting histories. The events in the anime are interesting. Buuuut when all three of those things hit each other, nothing really interesting actually happens. I'd say it's worth a watch though.

5: Re-watched season 1 of "Attack on Titan", and went straight into season 2 without expectations. I was pleasantly surprised, actually. I thought it was nuts! I said "Wait, what?" and backed up in multiple spots so I could be sure that I heard correctly. And all together, I found the art and animation to be just beautiful, especially in the last episode with all the scouts doing scout stuff. And I second Mongoose's opinion that less Eren is better, mostly because there was a lot more Sasha and Sasha is best scout.

6: There's an Attack on Titan spin off, called "Attack on Titan: Middle School". It's a comedy where all the characters (even titans) are students or staff in a middle school. It's weird, even more so if you've just finished season 2 of AoT proper. But entertaining, so far.

7: Saw the first episode of "Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor". I don't think the title translation quite succeeded, but that's the least of the problems here. It's a comedy! There were no jokes :(
Ok, there were one or two, but they just weren't funny enough to justify the "hilarious" faces that the characters kept making. I got halfway through the first episode, and took a break for a few days, then came back to give it a fair one-full-episode test. I can safely say that you can skip this one.

8: And finally, another comedy which actually reminds me of the previous entry a little: "Aho Girl". This show is bananas

No! "Bananas" is an idiom in English, meaning "crazy". Anyway, it's fast paced, there's a lot of physical comedy, and silly faces, but it actually works. Reminds me a little of Nichijou - which you should absolutely see if you haven't yet. There's only two half-episodes out so far, but I'll be sticking with this one, I think.