Author Topic: FSO Installer Derelict confusion  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Pherim

FSO Installer Derelict confusion
So I recently decided that maybe I don't need to have 20+ GB of mods installed as long as I have not even beaten the original FS2 campaign (only FSPort and Silent Thread: Reborn so far) and therefore intend to re-install FSO from scratch with only those things I actually need, and add mods as I play them, when it comes to it. I know how to reset the FSO installer and all, so no problem there, however, as I wanted to backup my existing installation, I noticed something odd.

Just a few days ago (in fact just before I decided to re-install everything) I ran the FSO installer again and it updated a few mods. I use FreeFileSync to backup my installation, which gives detailed information about which files have changed since the last time I made a backup. It is set to automatically update a file if it is newer than the existing one. But for some reason, suddenly the file DerelictSCP1.vp (from the Derelict mod voice pack) is not only older, but also smaller than the one in the existing backup. So I suppose the FSO Installer must have replaced it with this older and smaller file. Is this an error or has the mod been downgraded for some reason? If I download the mod manually from here, the file is identical to the one in the existing backup (the newer and bigger file.

I just wanted to clear that up before I delete everything and start from scratch, because I wondered if it would be wise to keep the file from the older backup.

Can someone tell me what's going on with this?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: FSO Installer Derelict confusion
To my knowledge, nothing has been changed in the FSO installation of Derelict.  It's possible that at one point there was an update of the voice acting.  It's also possible, but unlikely, that there was a botched download.

Can you compare the two versions of DerelictSCP1.vp in a VP viewer and see if there are any files that exist in one that don't exist in the other? 

Offline Pherim

Yes, the newer and bigger one contains 1618 files, but the older and smaller one (which can also be downloaded here: https://dev.tproxy.de/fs2/mirrors/) only 1605. This is the one that is currently installed with the Installer, but I am sure that it used to download the newer one (as it was still present in my backup), hence my confusion. The other files in the voice pack appear to be identical.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
IIRC, a while back a bunch of files on fsmods.net were gone. chief managed to restore them. Maybe the Derelict download was one of the files and an older version was restored?

Just for the record, here's the download link: http://freespacemods.net/files/installer_files/campaigns/Derelict_3_7_core.7z
And here's the installer text file: http://www.fsoinstaller.com/files/installer/java/fsmods.net.txt

BTW, why doesn't the text file have checksums?

Offline Pherim

Only the voice pack appears to be affected, not the core files.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Thanks to both of you, that was helpful.  I compared the two versions of DerelictSCP1.vp and found that these files are present in the 1618 one, but not the 1605 one:

dl32_al210
dl32_al211
dl32_al212
dl32_al213
dl32_al214
dl32_al215
dl32_al216
dl32_al27
dl32_al28
dl32_al29
dl32_al51
dl32_al52
dl32_al61

These files are in DerelictSCPPatch.vp.  For some reason, they are also in the DerelictSCP1.vp from the same Derelict.7z zip file -- which means that that distributor applied the patch, but only partly. :confused:

I created a new Derelict_3_7_VA.7z and PMmed achtung to update the file stored on FSMods.  That should fix the FSOInstaller issue.  Pherim, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Ngld, the short answer is because checksums weren't supported when the Derelict mod was uploaded.  I can add some when achtung updates FSMods.