Author Topic: Speed Up Index Buffer Creation Using This One Simple Trick! BX Files Hate It!  (Read 13482 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Speed Up Index Buffer Creation Using This One Simple Trick! BX Files Hate It!
You seem to be under the mistaken impression that this is a discussion. The decision has been made; you'll just have to wait a few seconds for missions to load (or, who knows, you might as well get faster load times).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Re: Speed Up Index Buffer Creation Using This One Simple Trick! BX Files Hate It!
Oh for god's sake, all he's asking for at this stage is the option.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Luis Dias

I also firmly believe that the mistake here was to let us know there would be a disadvantage by not using the cache files. As an architect, I'm intuitively fully behind any attempt at getting rid of any redundacies which are only a source of potential further issues and bugs in the future, with no genuine advantages at all. No, 2 seconds less is not worth it. Simpler the code is, the better it is to take care of it, and the faster old things like cache files can be deprecated. Swifty's trick is awesome and should be celebrated! :yes:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Oh for god's sake, all he's asking for at this stage is the option.

Yes, and I am of the opinion that if we can make the code simpler and reduce the number of commandline options we have (and we have a ton; it's pretty ridiculous) without any adverse effects, we should do so.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
When are we going to get a pull request for this? I miss the shorter load times. :nervous:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yes, and I am of the opinion that if we can make the code simpler and reduce the number of commandline options we have (and we have a ton; it's pretty ridiculous) without any adverse effects, we should do so.
What exactly is the problem with commandline options anyway? It's what makes FSO customizable, and they're easily accessible via launcher. I don't understand the recent phobia against them. Commandline options are something that would normally go into in-game options menu, with the added bonus of being editable outside of game. We can't exactly mess with FSO's in-game options (being limited by the interface art), so that's the best we can do. What is ridiculous is, IMO, the drive to move away from a perfectly good, fairly transparent customization system. Flags that set lighting values could be handled better, but I think that the way to do it would be to modify the launcher, not moving those flags to a table where the user can't usually access them.[/rant]

For the end user, more customizability=better. They say you can't please everyone, but in some cases, you can, if you give them enough customization choices. Unless we can add another tab into the in-game options menu, commandline options are the best way to do so.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Commandline options have their place. When they can be used to customize the experience, or make major changes to the amount of ressources the engine needs.

If the removal of cache files had a big impact one way or another, this would not be a discussion. But it doesn't. It's at worst neutral. As such, having an option that will have almost no effect for end users makes no sense. It just introduces additional ways in which things can go wrong, additional behaviours that have to be accommodated. Those are the kinds of options that should be cut.

Customizability is great. But only when it actually means something.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Maybe some stuff that can be applied to retail would be unavailable, but that doesn't actually break anything.
So you think that people using retail assets shouldn't be allowed to, say, enable 3D radar? Or framebuffer shockwaves? That people with retail assets shouldn't be allowed to enable the rearm/repair completion timer?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The discussion about commandline options and ingame UI to set/manipulate them has been moved here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=89675.0