Author Topic: 2009-04-05 - Cylon Basestar  (Read 52894 times)

Offline newman

2009-04-05 - Cylon Basestar
Here's a few shots of the Cylon Basestar, being built by yours truly. Since you've last seen it I've added the raider racks - all 864 of them; this is a more complex task then you'd think so it took a while. At any rate, it's ready for texturing now - for the late arrivals asking themselves "but haven't we already seen a fully textured one in the videos", that one was just a placeholder done to hold scrutiny from a distance. The final one that you see in the attached renders will allow you to fly into every nook and cranny that this organically shaped thing has - provided it doesn't blow you out of the sky while you're attempting to get closer to it :)

[attachment deleted by evil Tolwyn]
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:14:31 pm by karajorma »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Re: 09-04-05 - Cylon Basestar
that's a beautiful monster!
Great work :yes: :yes:

Offline Demitri

:jaw:

:yes: :yes: :yes:
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
*Looks at the mesh*
*Looks at his GPU*
*Gets a bucket of sand, just in case*
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Remember pilots to fire your proton torpedoes into the central trench. It's ray shielded, but since we don't use pansy frakin' ray guns that's not a problem.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Remember pilots to fire your proton torpedoes into the central trench. It's ray shielded, but since we don't use pansy frakin' ray guns that's not a problem.

It's not impossible. I used to bullseye prairie dogs in my T-16 back on Aerlon, they're not much bigger than two meters.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Okay, you go do that. Me, I'm staying the frak out of Galactica's firing solution.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
ಥ_ಥ ...Beautiful.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Abso-frakkin'-lutely gorgeous. Too bad I'll have to blow it up.  :blah:

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
I'm afraid you'll be the one doing the blowing up.

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????

Need some ice for that burn nugget?
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Need some ice for that burn nugget?

Remember, pilots: ice drippings should be collected and returned to the water recycling station aft of Frame Sixteen.

Oh man, I do not even want to know the poly count on that beast. Regardless, frakking awesome!

Offline Narvi

That is one beautiful model, even though the basestar has never been my favourite ship. (Does anybody know what the arms are for?)

Offline newman

Arms house the weapon systems, and provide excellent shielded entrances to the interior of the ship. Since the arms extend from the core in 6 directions, you get good firing arcs with the weapons housed there. Also, if weapons are damaged by enemy fire, the damage will be limited to the arms (which can apparently grow back), while the core with the critical systems will remain undamaged. All in all, it's not a bad design at all.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Wow, that looks amazing Newman. All that difficult work was definitely worth it!

Can't wait to zip in and out of those nooks and crannys when it's in game.

Awesome work.

This is so awesome

This is like Awesome²

Great work.

Offline Spidey-

w00t! can't wait to see the real textures you've been on about!

but I can't help wondering if the polys you used for the racks could be better spent elsewhere
i'm sure you've considered it, but I'd like to know your rationale anyways

Offline newman

There is no rationale. I'm quite, quite mad. And you've made mr. Flibble mad, too. If you don't watch it, you'll be punished with 2 hours of W.O.O. (With Out Oxygen)

(Mr. Flibble wanted me to pass along a message from the Potato king: detail boxes. I can make use of those so each of the rack areas is replaced by a lower poly one when you're far enough. Considering everything else had been modeled up to that point, no I couldn't have spent those polygons better elsewhere.)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 02:20:44 pm by newman »

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
There is no rationale. I'm quite, quite mad. And you've made mr. Flibble mad, too. If you don't watch it, you'll be punished with 2 hours of W.O.O. (With Out Oxygen)

(Mr. Flibble wanted me to pass along a message from the Potato king: detail boxes. I can make use of those so each of the rack areas is replaced by a lower poly one when you're far enough. Considering everything else had been modeled up to that point, no I couldn't have spent those polygons better elsewhere.)

The model is frakkin gorgeous, but that is frakkin hilarious! :lol:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions