Author Topic: RELEASE: Relive the Glory Days with New Autopilot Feature  (Read 41912 times)

Re: RELEASE: Relive the Glory Days with New Autopilot Feature
I knoticed somehing.  When Hobbs was seriously dammaged when he collided with an enemy fighter, durring the autoplilot sceen there should be sparks flying out the back of his ship or random shots of elecricity moving around his ship and yet. He is perfectly healthy in the autopilot sequence.  Not that I am complaining, you guys did an exelent job and I enjoyed playing thoes missions more in saga than the origional wc3. Much more interesting dogfights for one thing.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Looks like someone forgot to set the dummy ship's hits-left to whatever the real ships actually have. :)

I'm only gloating cause I noticed I'd made the exact same mistake in one of my missions a couple of days ago. Fortunately I was lucky enough to have spotted it in time but I could very easily have been where you guys are now. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I definatly wouldn't mind an entire remake of wc3 with your engine  ;)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
While I like the idea of remaking WC3 I'd rather see a new story first :)

Good point, There is enough of a challange with what they are doing already.  Hopefully this auto pilot thing in the end will make it easier as it is probably a good bet that most of your bugs were happening when you were turing up the time compression in the old code, and trying to get that to work properly.  Even after your release It was still a little buggy. For instance, if youaccedently hit autopilot before Major Baws sends the message that you have all left the astriod field, then it would throw evreything off and baws would never reach that point despite you turing autopilot off agian.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
if i ever get time i'll try to promote this from sexp-level feature to code-level feature
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
That would certainly be a major improvement, as well as much much more userfriendly  :)  :yes:
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
it would be sufficient to be able to disable autopilot between navpoints :)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

First of all: Wonderful job! OMG I've missed this game so much and now it is here - even looking better than ever!
Thank you, Thank you - THANK YOU!

*Anyway:
I played the Prolougue (and loved every bit of it) and this autopilot/WC3 demo (loved it as well!).

I agree, that the initial time incrementation autopilot featured in Prologue was a bit tedious. (= AutoPilot 1 =AP1)

The "new" autopilot (AP2) is a spitting image of the WC3 one!!! Good job!

However - and I'm probably going to take some heat for this - one thing that used to annoy me, playing WC3+ was that when you Auto pilot, you get plunged right into the action, with no or little time to adjust your configurations.

In that perspective, I kinda like the AP1 style, because you can see that you are approaching the fleet and not just "jumping" in there.
The fact, that you have some time/distance to "configure" the energy-allocation before plunging into combat is a bit more... realistic???.

The feeling I'm trying to describe is best explained if you recall the mission in Prologue when you return from the "Zartoth patrol", as the cats ambush the Lexington.

There you get the sence of approach (from afar), have time enough to get ready, cycle the targets and selecting approach vector.
With the AP2, it would feel like I just jumped in there, guns blazing...
Truth is, that the pilots of Alpha wing (any wing) have several thousand 'kliks' to fly while observing the action ahead - getting prepared and making plans while getting closer. This would, ofcourse, be killer to the game-flow if no Autopilot was there, since traveling a 1,200.000km patrol at speed 80 would be... insane.

So what I am getting at is, that if one could combine the two - getting the theatrical/movie-style feel with the fly-by-cam (AP2) but also being able to get the feeling that you are flying a long time and distance to get there (AP1) by seeing the approach to the target area/fleet site.

Anyway - this is just my humble opinion. It is insignificant compared to the bohemuth of a job you guys are doing!
(But if you do not voice your opinions - they aren't heard, right?)

Stay cool and may progress be with you!

Cheers,
Sonneboy

P.s.
THANK YOU!!!

Offline Harbinger of DOOM

• Three fries short of a Happy Meal.
Link is down........ can someone please re-upload?
Nevermind, I got it off the site.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 10:08:24 pm by Harbinger of DOOM »
aldo_14 ~ "The ego has landed."
an0n ~ "Wheee, I can spam and no-one will notice!"

Offline Drakon

• Thud-Wielding Menace
Lol, it took me until today to realize that the wc3_demo file isn't the same thing as the autopilot demo video. When I try to download the missions though a window pops up saying that IE wasn't able to open the internet site. I tried downloading then from the link provided on the Saga section of CIC with the same result. When I try refreshing or entering the link's destination myself instead of clicking the links I get the classic 404 Object not Found screen. Is there any other way for me to download the missions? :)

Edit: I guess I made the same mistake. wcsaga_autopilotdemo.zip from CIC worked. My copy of WC3 is for Macintosh so finally being able to play even a couple of the missions on my PC is truly awesome. Thx m8s. ^^
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 11:51:22 am by Drakon »
C.M.C. "Drakon" Cunningham

Writer, WCIII/IV junkie, one-time Freelancer hotshot, and uh... quaintly eccentric.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
that link on page 1 is not working anymore  :rolleyes:
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
you can still download it from our download section.

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Re: RELEASE: Relive th' Glory Days with New Autopilot Feature
i know, I just wanted to notify you. Then why not change the link here in the forum to be working again ?  ;) ;) ;) It can't hurt.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline CaptJosh

Well, I got my ass handed to me in the mission, but the autopilot sequence works beautifully.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Do you need to limit the ship selection for auto-pilot to work correctly?  I've been thinking of trying to add this auto-pilot feature, but I don't know if it's possible to set the dummy ships to whatever the player chooses to fly.  As in, if the player decides to fly the Ares rather than the Herc II, the auto-pilot scene would still be the Ares, unless I'm missing the way to fix this.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
The original template uses proxies, so ship selection is a no go. Our current super duper secret template uses actual ships for cinematic cutscenes.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Well, isn't there a teleport sexp or something similar?  I wonder if I could use that instead.

Thanks for the reply regardless.

EDIT: I think it's the set-object-position.  Is there a more appropriate thread I should be posting in for this sort of discussion?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 03:28:25 pm by Ioustinos »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Simply change it to whatever ship class the player has.

when-argument
-list of possible fighter classes
-is-ship-class
--<argument>
--dummy
-change-ship-class
--<argument>
--dummy

Aha, can't believe I missed something that simple.  Thanks.  Testing now.