Author Topic: A possible bug related with autopilot  (Read 4367 times)

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
A possible bug related with autopilot
Well I've found a possible bug related with autopilot, but as I'm not sure, I prefer to post it here before mantising.

I've reinstalled WCS Demo (after a PC change). It is installed in its own folder outside FreeSpace2 so no possible conflicts here. As game exe (wcsaga.exe) is a pretty old bug, I've picked latest Launcher (5.5c) and Fsopen build 2007-10-28 Xt build, and I'm going to play play this MOD through these latest exes.

I've found the problem in the second mission. When you approach the TCS Aurora, and you initiate the autopilot jump with original wcsaga.exe your speed is kept matched at Aurora's one (22) so more or less you end the run in formation with the TCS.

But with 2007-10-28, your speed is set at 25 so you end the autopilot run quite far from Aurora.

I upload screenshots of both situations (although they are not really needed to see the problem).

I know that the autopilot code has received a lot of modifications since wcsaga.exe. So, I don't know either if we have a bug now or if there was a former solved bug which also needs an updated mission.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Re: A possible bug related with autopilot
I am pretty sure it is the result of the recent autopilot modifications. The only thing you can do is following: extract all missions from the VP, open them in FRED and check "use autopilot sequences". I can't tell how well they will perform, but at least it is the only way to avoid the problem you described (and you save a bit of travelling time!)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I am pretty sure it is the result of the recent autopilot modifications. The only thing you can do is following: extract all missions from the VP, open them in FRED and check "use autopilot sequences". I can't tell how well they will perform, but at least it is the only way to avoid the problem you described (and you save a bit of travelling time!)

Thank's Tolwyn, you've confirmed what I thought but ...  :nervous: ... actually ...  :nervous: ... you haven't answered my question  :lol:

Which is the right option?:

• It's not a bug. It was an old bug which was fixed but it also needs a mission update.

OR

• It's a bug that should be fixed. Ie. I should Mantis it.

OR

• It's a bug but it isn't worth fixing it. This way of generating autopilot travel is depreciated, (more or less like D3D). Even if it is buggy, nobody is going to fix it.
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Offline Topgun

]It's a bug but it isn't worth fixing it. This way of generating autopilot travel is depreciated, (more or less like D3D). Even if it is buggy, nobody is going to fix it

I think.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
It is obviously a bug - why in havens would we want the transport to lag behind? :)

It is very unlikely that the patched version of the Prologue will use the old autopilot system, yet I would go ahead and put a report into mantis. As far as I can tell BtrL is using the autopilot system too.

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Ooops, I've taken a deeper look and I'm pretty sure it's not a build bug but a bad table setting. (Remember I'm not modder at all)

The Amadeus-Class seems to have incoherent table entries:

Code: [Select]
$Name:                        Amadeus-class
$Max Velocity:           0.0, 0.0, 25.0
$Max Oclk Speed:         23.0

So, reading what Wiki says, an Amadeus class transport goes faster at normal engine energy settings than at maximum settings  :wtf: ...

It seems that the new Autopilot code makes you travel at the slowest $Max Velocity of all set-nav-carry ships. But with the original ship.tbl, you are actually travelling faster than Aurora capabilities. (Maybe old autopilot code took the MIN between both $Max Velocity and $Max Oclk Speed, so it hid this table error).

I've swapped $Max Velocity (23.0) and $Max Oclk Speed (25.0) and then it runs fine. With these new settings, what happens in this mission is:
+ At the beginning, Aurora is flying at 15 because of the cap-waypoint-speed SEXP.
+ When Aurora recieves the cap-waypoint-speed = -1 SEXP, it accelerates till 25.0.
+ Then, you initiate the autopilot run and every single ship travels at 23.0.

I upload a patch table, but please fix it in the final WCS release.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 06:06:29 am by ARSPR »

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I don't have to fix it, as it was fixed months ago in my tables. ;) And, like I said, this version of autopilot is obsolete anyway.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Another small issue that nearly makes me mad until discovered what happened  :mad:

In Demo-04-BG-Hermes.fs2 (The fourth mission) you've got this SEXP whenever you reach an autopilot location:

Code: [Select]
$Formula: ( when
   ( <
      ( distance
         "Alpha 2"
         "Waypoint Nav 1:1"
      )
   )
   ( add-goal
      "Alpha"
      ( ai-stay-near-ship "Alpha 2" 89 )
   )
)

It is pretty simple: whenever you reach a nav, make Alpha wing stay near Alpha 2 (player ship). Well, if you play the WCS Demo with 2007-10-28 build, and I suppose because of the autopilot changes, this SEXP doesn't work, alpha wing doesn't get that order and it doesn't follow you. In order to make it work, you need to put 998 instead of 999 in the distance check. So it seems that the autopilot run, (while the ships doesn't seem to allow ai orders), is slightly longer now.

Nevertheless, if you use cinematic autopilot, then it works fine even with 999.

OTOH, please take a look at Mantis 1520 if you can. (I discovered it while trying to ascertain what was happening with the ai-stay-near-ship issue).

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I usually use lt 5000 as distance check.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis

That make things worse if you don't use cinematic autopilot. Giving orders just seem to work with a 998 or less distance check.

It's a minor bug but I've mantised it (1521).

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga

That make things worse if you don't use cinematic autopilot. Giving orders just seem to work with a 998 or less distance check.

It's a minor bug but I've mantised it (1521).

nah, you just need to chain orders with one second delay to the "proceed to nav x" event ;)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It is very unlikely that the patched version of the Prologue will use the old autopilot system, yet I would go ahead and put a report into mantis. As far as I can tell BtrL is using the autopilot system too.

We've not used the old autopilot system, only the navpoints from it thus far. Any new missions using autopilot will use the new system most likely.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]