Author Topic: Any work done on GUI (Menus etc)  (Read 2890 times)

Offline Tribane

Any work done on GUI (Menus etc)
Hi there, WCS looks very promising. Good job! :)

Has there been any work done on the GUI of WCS?
I'm looking for any availble info like Concepts or Ideas already in motion so I can try my hand at it.

Thanks!

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Re: Any work done on GUI (Menus etc)
That is, apart from a totally redesigned FS2 interface? ;)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Tribane

:) I'm not entirely sure what you meant with that .. sorry I haven't had my morning coffee yet ;)

I was playing WC Prophecy yesterday and couldn't help but notice the huge difference in the GUI. I was hoping to try and recreate it with a much closer 'feel' to those than what is currently being used.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Feel free to try if you feel like it. Mind you, it is a huge task.

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Tribane

Yes I am well aware, thank you.

I think I'll tinker with some fullscreen images first and then pester you guys on how to slice and dice them to fit into the Game Engine :)
... which makes me think, is there any links with info on how FSO implements the GUI stuff?

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Not really, you need to figure out most of the stuff for yourself. Originally I just downloaded the source code and looked for interface images references. There is a nice list of all full screen images / references in there. ;)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Tribane, let me tell you this: The FSO interface is one of the most irritating ones available. Check this out: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,65342.0.html , It's an application that generates about half the images the full FSO interface requires, about 1000 of them. That excludes the graphics needed for 640x480 resolution (another 1000) and the mask files needed to make it work (about 100 of them). Redoing the interface completely is a very long, very tedious process.
And yeah, reading the source is necessary to figure out which piece of interface art goes where, unfortunately.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Tribane

The app at that link you posted looks extremely helpful. Especially the Layout templates. I think I'll try to jump the 'implementation' hurdle after I've actually tried my hand at the GUI stuff.

I downloaded the DVD and CD covers from www.wcsaga.com (I think). Do you guys have a hi res download for the WCS Logo with transparent background?

« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 07:49:18 am by Tribane »

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yup, I do have it ... somewhere. ;)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Could you send me the logo also. I missing the files I think.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"