Author Topic: Origin Games at Good old Games  (Read 7938 times)

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
    • German Wing Commander Site
Origin Games at Good old Games
In a Conference by GoG is now an announcement: EA goes Goold old Games. The first three of more than 25+ is

Dungeon Keeper
Ultima Underworld 1+2

and why I post it in the Wing Commander Thread?

Wing Commander - Privateer

5,99 $  each one :)

The next 3 are Magic Carpet, Alpha Centauri and again a Origin Game : Crusader No Remorse

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 03:07:32 pm by Deathsnake »
Star Citizen No. 250

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Re: Origin Games at Good old Games
So, instead of putting the true good Wing Commanders like 1 and 2 into GOG they add Privateer.

What.

At least this means the other Wing Commanders may end up on the list, and even System Shock 2 (Which was the most wanted game to be added since the site was opened by the way), and Privateer 2 which actually looked pretty good in comparison to the first Privateer.

But with the way things have been going with GOG (Adding nothing but PI games and The Witcher 2, two days after its release [Not old, wtf], and other wide arrays of **** games) I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't add the good Wing Commander / other older EA games.

Edit: I take some of the last part back, Crusade? **** yes I've been wanting to try that game for about a decade and haven't had the chance since it would never work.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Keep in mind that WC 1 & 2 (as well as their expansions) are old to the point that most any abandonware site will have them. In fact, they might be old to the point that EA never gained the IP for those titles (which... is probably not the case, but oh well). In any sense, I don't think you really need to be complaining about this fact, if you get my point.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Well actually from what I'm seeing the acutal Wing Commander games themselves up to WC4 are both developed and published by Origin, Privateer is published by EA, so this makes sense and unfortunately probably means that they won't appear at all.

Plus those WC games off the Abandonware sites never work right, and you can't even get WC3 off the Kilrathi Saga set which is SUPPOSED TO INCLUDE WC3, and thus is ****ing retarded.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Hmmm...

Well, that's a fair assumption.

Perhaps the best option would be for a situation wich happened with a few of the free games that GOG already has, though those are assumably free as they are genuinely abandonware. WC 1 and 2 are however, tiny in respect to filesize, even with their expansions. Thus, given that WC 1, 2, etc., are genuinely abandonware, bundle them up as a package and offer them as a free download. Free is a great way of winning your user base as well.

Speaking of which, I have to say that you'll likely never see the C&C old games on GOG, as although TD and TS are officially freeware/abandonware, they take up  A LOT of space, each one in excess of a GB. That's a lot to give away for free without turning a profit.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
The old Command and Conquer games are still sold in bundle packs, and usually any place that has them has a decent number of them on their shelf.
Then again there are some other games on GOG that are probably on some shelves too, and they do have The Witcher 2 which is brand-spanking new...

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I think GOG might wind up as a marketplace for indie devs, as demonstrated by The Witcher 2. Much of the ease of distribution like other online markets, without all the restricitons. You have to admit, that undoubtably has a HUGE appeal to the buyer - in turn, it thus has a huge appeal to the seller as well.

By the way, if you didn't know, go to Moddb and you ought to be able to download the full versions of C&C 1 and 2, as well as the first two Red Alerts (if I'm not mistaken).

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I think GOG might wind up as a marketplace for indie devs

okay, this makes -

as demonstrated by The Witcher 2

wait wtf, CDProjekt is not indie

Indie devs gravitate to Steam because it gives them so many sales.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Hmph.

A misunderstanding. Disregard.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I just find it hard to imagine GoG supplanting Steam as an indie outlet, because Steam is so powerful it can literally save entire studios - Introversion would not exist right now except for the enormous cash-flow generated by a Steam sale on their games.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
GOG is owned by CD Projekt and Witcher games are developed by CD Projekt RED STUDIO. That's why they are sold on GoodOldGames, not because they're old or new or indie or mainstream.

Looking at Witcher games being distributed by their own developer doesn't tell us anything about GoG being more preferred distribution path for indie games than mainstream games, or indeed even the general age of such games. It's a special case because the games are so closely linked to the distribution channel.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Mikes

I'd love to get Wing Commander 1 on GOG if they include the Blueprints as PDFs. :)
(They usually do include all the box contents as PDF... even I-War had the Ship chart bundled.)

Let's hope!

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Let's hope if Wing Commander 1 ever does go to GOG that it's with the Kilrathi Saga pack. Otherwise you'll have to deal with answering questions about the game and Lore before you can even play it.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I believe you can find the blueprints via Abandonia.

As I'm not sure about HLP's general views on abandonware, I'm not going to discuss this further. If you're not sharp enough to find out generally known, safe, and popular sources of abandonware on the net... you need to invest a little more time on your own volition.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I'd love to get Wing Commander 1 on GOG if they include the Blueprints as PDFs. :)
(They usually do include all the box contents as PDF... even I-War had the Ship chart bundled.)

Let's hope!
You can get high resolution scans of the blueprints at CIC.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Kewl..

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Let's hope if Wing Commander 1 ever does go to GOG that it's with the Kilrathi Saga pack. Otherwise you'll have to deal with answering questions about the game and Lore before you can even play it.

The CIC has the Wing Commander 1 Kilrathi Saga Edition to download: Exclusive!

http://www.wcnews.com/news/update/10285
That's good and all but it's just the first game when the pack has three. If GOG adds The Kilrathi Saga then I know for a fact I'll be able to play the other Wing Commander games and they will actually work. Every other time I've downloaded The Kilrathi Saga or any other Wing Commander game they have never worked despite adding all the compatability patches and DoSBox and all that other jazz needed for them to run.
I've played the first Wing Commander, I've played it to death. It's a good game, it's fun, but I'm tired of only playing the first game. There's still Vengeance of the Kilrathi, Heart of the Tiger, The Price of Freedom, Prophecy, Secret Ops, I guess there's Armada too (Arena doesn't count don't even mention it). One of the main reasons why I'm so eager to play the WCSaga mod for FreeSpace is because I'll be able to the fly all the other ships from those games.

And for the person that quotes this post: Read it thoroughly, because if you dare mention Abandonware sites to me, you've missed the fact that,
...they have never worked despite adding all the compatability patches and DoSBox and all that other jazz needed for them to run.
I'll end up flipping the **** if I see Abandonware directed to me.

I suppose I forgot about this, but I remember most sites with The Kilrathi Saga for some stupid reason omit the Heart of the Tiger, which really defeats the purpose of releasing the pack at all if all three games aren't together.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 07:47:07 am by Commander Zane »

Offline Anjelus

I'm surprised you have had so much trouble getting Wing Commander games after WC1 to work. I don't know what kind of OS you run and this is hardly the place to troubleshoot, but I can confirm the original trilogy all work quite comfortably with DOSBOX and WC4 with the Win95 patch. If you ever feel like trying again you ought to head to the CIC forums' tech support section, they're wizards at getting the games to run on modern systems.

Though really that won't be necessary anymore. Not sure why some of you chaps seem cofused, GOG has already confirmed that more Wing Commanders will be released soon. They've got the license to all the games, WC1 - Prophecy and the spinoffs. Why start with Privateer? You'd have to ask them, but it's a classic and a great standalone entry to the series for gog newcomers.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
The CIC is where I looked at the compatability instructions, tried with XP, Vista, and 7 and they have never worked.
I'll say that Wing Commander 2 does work when I install it, but I hardly consider a lagging ****storm a running game.
And as I said I never find WC3 in any Kilrathi Saga download I find.
Actually with Kilrathi Saga you don't need DoSBox at all since the pack was made to run with Windows.

In the end since they might be on GOG, I'm not worried.

Offline Anjelus

Yea WC3 is never really included in the WC1/2 KS downloads, that used to annoy me too.

Still surprised you had so much trouble running the originals even with the CiC's help, but whatever. Really doesn't matter, all the more reason to be happy for the Gog release ;)