Author Topic: Mouse Control  (Read 25809 times)

Offline newman

@Dragon:
There is such a program and until now it worked perfectly, I use the stick for some old DOS games like Privateer for example. In the worst case I define the throttle buttons as keyboard commands. No Problem until now. But somehow Saga does not even recognize a key is being pressed, which is really weird.
I'll try again and test it, though, perhaps it was my fault.

That's because Saga, like any other FS2_Open based game, only recognizes one input device. G940 consists of 3 separate ones. Meaning you you tell Saga to use the stick, it won't see the throttle and pedals, etc. So when you push a button on the throttle, it won't be recognized. The software that came with the stick doesn't allow to combine all 3 devices so windows see it as one. Yes you can define macros and stuff but you can never have a profile that reports it all as a single device to windows. Without that, games that don't support multiple input devices won't work. Well, they'll work, but they'll only recognize one of the devices. Flying with only pedals without the stick or a throttle isn't much fun..  Logitech doesn't seem interested in fixing it, either. And I'm guessing the SCP have better things to do than code in multiple input device support, too.. after looking everywhere, the only solution I've found was ppjoy.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 07:56:19 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
Well, that's not really a problem for me, I'll simply use PPjoy. (or continue using my other stick which is also ok)
I just wondered where that came from since this is the first time I encountered that particular problem. :)
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."

Offline newman

Actually, I've just found this:

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/7665701.page

Specifically, this:

Solution: G940 works fine in both BF2 and BF3 (all flight axes fully analog).

The problem is with the way the Logitech software creates 3 controllers. You have to go to device manager, uninstall the "logitech game controller" or whatever it is called and make sure to select the box to permantly delete the device drivers. Now click the scan for hardware changes button and Windows will install the default driver. Now we have one G940 controller in "devices and printers."

May want to calibrate at this point.

Now that we have one controller, both games can fully utilize the G940. BF2 is a little more difficult as you have to manually edit the controls.con file. A quick search can pull that up but we are here to talk about Battlefield 3 because flying around with my G940 is pretty freaking awesome.

Note that I haven't tested this yet so I can't say whether or not it will work. But I'm going to check when I get home. If it works it's a much better, practical solution than ppjoy.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Your logic escapes me.

You're reading alone as though it is not in reference to the word immediately proceeding it, but to some other context that does not exist within the statement you have responded to.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 08:17:53 am by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
Can anyone point me to a working download location for a x64 capable version of PPjoy? All Downloads I found are 404...
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Actually, I've just found this:

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/7665701.page

Specifically, this:

Solution: G940 works fine in both BF2 and BF3 (all flight axes fully analog).

The problem is with the way the Logitech software creates 3 controllers. You have to go to device manager, uninstall the "logitech game controller" or whatever it is called and make sure to select the box to permantly delete the device drivers. Now click the scan for hardware changes button and Windows will install the default driver. Now we have one G940 controller in "devices and printers."

May want to calibrate at this point.

Now that we have one controller, both games can fully utilize the G940. BF2 is a little more difficult as you have to manually edit the controls.con file. A quick search can pull that up but we are here to talk about Battlefield 3 because flying around with my G940 is pretty freaking awesome.

Note that I haven't tested this yet so I can't say whether or not it will work. But I'm going to check when I get home. If it works it's a much better, practical solution than ppjoy.

Perhaps, after installing the generic driver, you could then disable that driver, install the manufacturer ones, then disable them and re-enable the generic drivers, letting you switch between them?  Or will the OEM drivers uninstall the disabled generic driver?

Can anyone point me to a working download location for a x64 capable version of PPjoy? All Downloads I found are 404...

I just finished downloading all of the following files:

Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider:

http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=dseo

Here you can get the following versions (0.83, 0.845, 0.846)

http://www.4shared.com/archive/9bwBd488/ppjoy.html

Source Code (coders can has compile quick with no bother, or is it hard?)

http://www.4shared.com/zip/xaBqntQI/PPJoyOpenSource084.html

If you can get the control panel app to build I will be forever in your debt.

I do not take any credit for this, just something I found on the internet that 1) fixes the control panel (still cannot get the compiled one to run on win 7 x64) and 2) it fixes your VID thing.
http://www.mediafire.com/?1g2a71cygydq84o

First off, great mod.

I completed playing it but had issues with the mouse controls. I do have my choice of flightstick/gamepad. Slightly older but were expensive, good quality when new. I dislike using them due to crappy precision and lack of comfort for long term play(every one I've tried). Really despise force-feedback, so not a selling point. Have always preferred kb-mouse. Even best flightsicks have used, almost always have to take a hand off controls to hit a button or two on the keyboard for some function or other; yet another needless distraction. It would be nice if the game engine (FS2 as well) would recognise that my mouse has 7 buttons instead of merely 3.

The mouse position pointer in-game has a tendency to freak out and jump all over the screen whenever facing debris, asteroids, or get close to complicated geometry capships, sending my ship in a crazy spinning tumble that takes time to stop, as have to try and locate rapidly flickering and position roaming pointer just to try to correct the tumbling. Happens in almost every mission, especially if trying to accellerate or hit ab when approaching these objects. Sensitivity and deadzone changes do squat. Even reduced the dpi settings for the mouse to lowest possible in its control applet but no luck. I had to extract the missions and reduce the asteroid field densities to about 100 just to get a reasonably ability to play where they are present. As for the capships, had no choice but to put up with a follow-the-bouncing-ball routine on sight of one, then stop and ever so slowly gently twitch the mouse and tap accel toward the target. Much irritating self-death ensued. I don't mind if my frame rate occassionally sags below 20. It would still be playable. With the present control set-up, it is not just a framerate problem. It is an uncontrollable issue. This is not a problem with the FS2 setup under similar circumstances. I've checked with similarily detailed models in the latest RC build.

The FS2 mouse controls were a lot better for kb-m play than the WC versions. It's impressive to see a team add in an authentic idea like this from WC, but it was always an irritating, distracting detraction from game enjoyment for myself. I would have been a lot happier to see it optional or left in the dustbin.
All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
And a laughing yarn from a merry fellow rover.
And a quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.
- JOHN MASEFIELD

Offline newman

Perhaps, after installing the generic driver, you could then disable that driver, install the manufacturer ones, then disable them and re-enable the generic drivers, letting you switch between them?  Or will the OEM drivers uninstall the disabled generic driver?

I tried it with the generic driver yesterday. Diaspora seemed to work, all the axes got recognized when setting up controls in the f2 menu. But for some reason the game wouldn't register throttle movement no matter what I tried.

WCS, on the other hand, saw "G940" in the launcher, but failed to recognize any inputs either in the f2 menu or the game. I ended up restoring the logitech driver and using ppjoy again. Which is a shame because ppjoy doesn't recognize enough buttons / axes so I can't use the hat mini stick, stuff like that. Would have been awesome to use that for thruster control.

That mouse control actually brings me back to the days I first played WC and couldn't hit a damn thing, except that was with a flight stick.
Anyway, while I do feel a little frustrated at times, I believe I'm well on my way to getting used to it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 05:54:48 am by X3N0-Life-Form »

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
You can now stop whining. First patch is available and it adds FS2 style mouse control. Yes, we are listening.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Thanks. will give it a try. As well, can't say it enough: Thak-you for your labours. You people have accomplished what few ever do outside a professional dev studio.
- JOHN MASEFIELD

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You can now stop whining. First patch is available and it adds FS2 style mouse control. Yes, we are listening.

You guys are awesome.

The FS2 option in the patch cleared up the loss of control issue perfectly. Still jumpy in the situations above but this is due to my hardware, and much easier to compensate for during play. Fine job folks. Well done!
- JOHN MASEFIELD

Thanks for the fix.

Offline kaa

Yes, thanks for that. I was afraid i will be forced to uninstall it.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
TL;DR: [David Banner]Please don't make me angry.[/David Banner]

I'm pleased to see WCS Team address this issue so well.

What I'm not so pleased with is the several posts that had no meaningful contribution to the issue and the near directly hostile tone that they took. And while I have no wish to moderate issues that I know the WCS Mods are more than capable of handling, I would like to say that I don't want to see it repeating itself ever again. Because I also would have fully supported WCS to NOT have patched in FS style controls just based on the tone that some of these posts took (Especially the ones levied against WCS Team Members directly).

And that would have benefited nobody in the long run.

Thanks for the patch for the controls and the dedication it took to get to a release.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Thanks for the patch for the controls and the dedication it took to get to a release.

As mentioned before, we are listening to feedback and are making necessary alterations. However, hostilities towards team members will no longer be tolerated and such posts will be deleted without advanced notice.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Qent

Thanks, this is so awesome!

EDIT: Woo, cats don't stand a chance now! :D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 08:56:22 pm by Qent »

Offline CaptJosh

I have to say, I'm having a blast with this game. It feels like Wing Commander. Admittedly the only Wing Commander game I've played previously was Prophecy, but the feel is right. The missions are long, but that feels right too. I never remember having any short missions to speak of playing Prophecy. I miss the walking around the ship parts, but I can manage without them. I think I may just have to treat myself to Wing Commander 1-3 as a birthday present so that I can learn about the story up to this point in the universe, as well as what happens with the people everyone is buying time for.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I'd be curious to see if the WCS Team uses FPS elements once they are integrated into FreeSpace (that is, if that's still planned; I saw it once on a table of suggested features that the SCP guys were going to try to do).