Author Topic: Wing Commander Saga Rebalanced  (Read 2732 times)

Offline Lorric

Wing Commander Saga Rebalanced
Well, some of it anyway...

On the second page of topics you can find my "Does the heavy scripting stop" thread, which will show my motivation for this, if you're bothered. I've finally finished the Wing Comander Saga campaign, and now I'm setting about moulding it to my own personal specifications. I will share the tweaked missions with you. They are attached right here in blocks of 4 per post. Just pluck them out one by one and place them in the missions folder inside the data folder inside the Wing Commander Saga folder. If there is no missions folder, create one. I believe this will work. It works for me anyway. Then you can play them as single missions.

The missions are being balanced around the medium difficulty. They are playtested and approved by me. Of course there is only me, so some bug could have slipped in without my notice, or I might have not played enough to get the balance right. But as far as I can tell, they work for me and are fun to play. Grab them if you want.

Here's what I have and what has been done to them and some notes. This is also a chance to hear some lines from defeated pilots which you will never hear in the Saga Campaign! Particularly the first mission if Greywolf goes down, he seems to have a special ejection line for that one mission, so the Saga team must have planned for these people being able to be shot down at some point, then changed their plans, because the voice work is created and still there and ready to go.

Orsini 1 - Removed ally invulnerability.
Orsini 2 - Removed ally invulnerability.
1 - Removed ally invulnerability.
2 - Removed ally invulnerability, prevented Pothead’s scripted death. Made some adjustments due to problems occurring while Pothead still lives.

These missions play just fine. The Orsini missions are the Saga team's remakes of the first two levels of Wing Commander III, available to grab on their site. Which you should do if you don't have them, in order to access the voices and FMVs from WC3 that have been used in those missions. 1 and 2 are the first two missions of the main Saga Campaign. I don't think I'll be touching the prologue.

Note that making these changes sometimes stops the autopilot cutscene from working in a mission, presumably because the ship the camera was supposed to be on has been destroyed. This doesn’t have any impact on the actual game though.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 09:44:30 pm by Lorric »

Offline Lorric

Re: Wing Commander Saga Rebalanced
Hmmm, problem. I thought I'd be able to upload 4 missions per post, but it tells me the upload folder is full, I suspect I'm only allowed to upload 4 attachments period.

Oh well, I'll just leave this here. I've done 10 missions so far, seemed a good number to start this topic with. This is what I did to the other 6, I'll wait and see if anyone's actually bothered about getting their hands on them.

3 - Removed ally invulnerability, added an additional wing (Foxtrot) of two Hellcats.
4 - Removed ally invulnerability, prevented Tresh’s scripted death. Tried to prevent the Vaillancourt’s scripted death, but it still dies anyway.
5 - Removed ally invulnerability, Hotel wing is still alive here at Nav 5. 4 damaged Super Ferrets (200HP between them and no missiles.)
7 - Removed ally invulnerability, prevented Dawn’s scripted death.
12 - Removed ally invulnerability. Removed Kilrathi respawns except Nav 1. Removed 1 Sorthak from Nav 1. Removed 2 Sorthaks from Nav 3. Charlie Wing (6 Arrows) will join you at Nav 5. In addition, after the arrival of the Armageddon, Golf Wing (4 Hellcats) comes out to play early.
14 - Removed ally invulnerability, removed all but two Kilrathi fighters from the last Nav point.

Missions 3-4 seem to play just fine. In both of these the Hermes battle group was invulnerable until I changed that. Just worth noting. You won't fail the mission if the Hermes is destroyed, but good luck trying to land on the ship to complete the mission!  :D

Mission 5 is a tough mission anyway, extremely tough for it’s early position in the campaign, so the Super Ferrets should balance the vulnerability of Greywolf and then some, bringing it more into line with what you’d expect with it’s early position in the campaign. Of course, getting to that point just got a little harder.

Mission 6 is not suited to this, as it’s essentially a story mission and modifying would tamper with that.

Mission 7 seems to play just fine.

Mission 12, if you manage to clear the fighters at Nav 5, you can consider the mission won. If you stay you may have to wait a while for the TCS Armageddon to complete it’s business, but being able to watch that magnificent ship in action might not be such a bad thing. Speaking of which, I tried having the fighters ignore the cruisers, but that stopped the Armageddon from firing on them for some reason. Releasing Golf Wing was the compromise then for the fighters getting slaughtered on the cruisers.

Mission 14 is do-able, which is surprising considering the number of Kilrathi to allies. The last Nav, the Hermes can handle itself, so I’ve removed all but two fighters to speed up the process. The Hermes will still have to traverse the asteroid field though. The asteroids are harmless. Don’t bother with this, just consider it a victory if you make it back to the Hermes.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 01:01:10 am by Lorric »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Wing Commander Saga Rebalanced
Be aware that post attachments are not permanent, and liable to be deleted at any moment (The forum has only a limited capacity for that kind of storage, and when it's full, attachments will get purged).
I would recommend using dropbox or something similar instead.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns