Author Topic: Joystick "roll" problem with newest nightly (no problem with 3.7.4)  (Read 2788 times)

Joystick "roll" problem with newest nightly (no problem with 3.7.4)
Hi,

I decided to finally try out newest nightlies (23rd november) to see what the fuss was about SDL2 and PBR. So far however there is an annoying gamebreaking problem with the newest nightly. The Joystick (Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2) seems to roll left all the time regardless of what I actually try to do. Pitch and yaw work fine, so does force feedback and directional hit, but roll is just broken and does not react to anything.

Currently it's impossible to finish any missions, because I can't negate the constant left roll in any way. I tried joystick calibration from windows, but it didn't help.

3.7.4 is still fine, so joystick should work ok. I guess SDL2 doesn't support my joystick's roll feature?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Joystick "roll" problem with newest nightly (no problem with 3.7.4)
Are you sure you have the correct axis bound to roll? Also, I didn't think any of the Sidewinder joysticks had drivers for remotely modern versions of Windows...
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Yeah, it's an old joystick but it does still work (native win7 x64 drivers) ;)

I tried to reconfigure the "bank" control (roll in freespace) in options menu. The game recognized the correct axis when I rolled my joystick, so it does take at least some kind of input correctly. It's a mystery why this input is not interpreted at all while actually flying in missions.

Daamn, so do I have to upgrade my trusty old workhorse just because of SDL2? That sucks...   :banghead:

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

I tried to reconfigure the "bank" control (roll in freespace) in options menu. The game recognized the correct axis when I rolled my joystick, so it does take at least some kind of input correctly. It's a mystery why this input is not interpreted at all while actually flying in missions.

Daamn, so do I have to upgrade my trusty old workhorse just because of SDL2? That sucks...   :banghead:
Well, maybe not. If it recognizes joystick input correctly in the controls menu, it ought to work in-game as well. It might be an input bug (we had several of those shortly after the initial SDL2 merge, and I've been meaning to revisit the situation after the most recent SDL2 update).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Well, maybe not. If it recognizes joystick input correctly in the controls menu, it ought to work in-game as well. It might be an input bug (we had several of those shortly after the initial SDL2 merge, and I've been meaning to revisit the situation after the most recent SDL2 update).

Thanks for the information =)

In the meantime, is there anyway for me to produce meaningful log files or other debug information with different launch parameters? This is the only joystick related information I got from launching the game:

Code: [Select]
Initializing Joystick...
Printing joystick info:
  Joystick name: SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick
  Joystick GUID: 5E041B00000000000000504944564944
  Joystick ID: 0
  Joystick device ID: 0
  Using 'SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick' as the primary joystick

Number of axes: 4
  Number of buttons: 8
  Number of hats: 1
  Number of trackballs: 0

Initializing Haptic...
  Available haptic devices:
    SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick

Number of haptic axes: 2
    Number of effects supported: 128
    Number of simultaneous effects: 128
  ... Haptic successfully initialized!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I've seen this, you can set the correct roll axis in the options menu, but the problem returns if you leave & restart FSO.  I suspect there's a pilotfile issue but have not spend the time to track it down yet
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

I've seen this, you can set the correct roll axis in the options menu, but the problem returns if you leave & restart FSO.  I suspect there's a pilotfile issue but have not spend the time to track it down yet

Actually, the axis was already correct when I entered the options menu. I deliberately cleared the key and tried to get the same axis, which succeeded.

However the in-game input is still broken no matter what I do...

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
OK, that's different to what I saw then and probably a separate issue (and I need to qualify my report with, I remember the issue, I don't remember the exact steps to reproduce).
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I have the same joystick, using Windows 10 64 bit.  I tried the November 27 nightly.  I did not have the OP's issue, but I did have to reset my roll, bank, and throttle axes (pitch was OK) in-game.  They stayed bound even after exiting and restarting the game. 

I've been have some other issues with Buttons 1 and 2 occasionally not doing anything, and force feedback quitting, but they have not been consistently reproducible and it could be issues with this 15 year old stick. 
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Oh my gosh, it's not just me? I'd assumed it was the cheap joystick I've been using... Similar issue, constant roll to the left (though it's intermittent - sometimes I have troubles and sometimes I don't) and buttons 1 and 2 only sometimes respond (...which is annoying 'cause I bound the roll to those after unbinding it from the joystick axis...).

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
yeah... those issues sound more like old joysticks to me, I've had that occur to a number of sticks over the years :)

Pretty sure with one stick if I didn't store it dead flat it'll have a constant yaw when I next went to use it! (yes, I've nearly always bought cheap sticks)
----
----