Author Topic: Release: 3.7.4 Final  (Read 49237 times)

Offline SirKnightly

• George or Keira?
Release: 3.7.4 Final
Happy Independence Day to all the Yanks!  I present to you the Independence builds.  Remember to run after lighting the fuse.  Please allow 15 minutes from the time of the post for the mirrors to sync before reporting broken links.
Previous 3.7.2 Release Thread

Important!!
As always, you need OpenAL installed.  Linux and OS X come with it but Windows users will need to get Creative's OpenAL installer. Alternatively, if Creative's OpenAL doesn't work with your hardware, you can use OpenAL Soft.

Hidden Text: TrackIR Users • Show
Important!!
An external DLL is required for FSO to use TrackIR functions.  The following DLL is simply unpacked in to your main FreeSpace2 root dir.
TrackIR is only supported on Windows.
TrackIR SCP DLL (Mirror) (Mirror)

Launchers, if you don't have one already:
All platforms:  wxLauncher (ongoing project for a unified launcher)

Hidden Text: Alternative Launchers • Show
Windows:  Launcher 5.5g (Mirror) (Mirror) Not compatible with Windows 8+, use wxLauncher above
OS X:  Soulstorm's OS X Launcher 3.0
Linux:  YAL or by hand or whatever you can figure out.

Known issues:

Windows
Compiled on Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, MSVC Community 2015 Update 2

fs2_open_3.7.4.7z (Mirror) (MD5)
This one is based on the SSE2 Optimizations from the MSVC Compiler.

Hidden Text: Alternative builds • Show
If you don't know which one to get, get the third one (no SSE).  If you don't know what SSE means, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_SIMD_Extensions
You can use freely available tools like CPU-Z to check which SSE capabilities your CPU has.

fs2_open_3.7.4_AVX.7z (Mirror) (MD5)
This one is based on the AVX Optimizations from the MSVC Compiler (fastest build if your CPU supports AVX instructions).

fs2_open_3.7.4_SSE.7z (Mirror) (MD5)
This one is based on the SSE Optimizations from the MSVC Compiler.

fs2_open_3.7.4_NO-SSE.7z (Mirror) (MD5)

What are those SSE and SSE2 builds I keep seeing everywhere?
Your answer is in this topic.

OS X Universal (32/64-bit Intel)
Compiled on OS X 10.11.5, Xcode 7.3.1 (Apple LLVM version cross-reference)

fs2_open_3.7.4.dmg (Mirror) (MD5)

Hidden Text: Other Platforms, Source Code • Show
Ubuntu Linux 32-bit
Compiled on Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS 32-bit, GCC 4.8.4, glibc 2.19
The Ubuntu builds are built and provided as a reference, and also because Ubuntu is a very common Desktop Linux distribution.  We usually recommend Linux users compile their own builds, but if you happen to be running 32-bit Ubuntu, or 64-bit Ubuntu with 32-bit libraries installed, these may work fine for you.  There have been reports of package managers maintaining FSO packages in various Linux distributions, if you plan to package an FSO release for a distribution please let use know and we will include a reference to it in our release posts.

fs2_open_3.7.4.tar.bz2 (Mirror) (MD5)

FreeBSD 64-bit (experimental, limited support)
Compiled on PCBSD 10.2 64-bit, clang 3.4.1
As FreeBSD is still a small player in the desktop space, but PC-BSD is becoming a much more user-friendly platform, we were able to get it reliably working with our build system.  The limited user base for these builds will likely keep them in the experimental realm, so if you do have any issues or successes with them, please report your experiences here.

fs2_open_3.7.4.tar.bz2 (Mirror) (MD5)

Source Code Export (MD5)
fs2_open_3_7_4_src.tgz (Mirror)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 02:50:34 pm by Goober5000 »

Re: Release: 3.7.4 Final
Yay, congratz :yes:

Congratulations on the release!  :pimp:

I apologize in advance if this is not the place to be posting this... Figured the experts would look at this post  :confused:

To the point. the reg FS2 open 372.exe works fine, However going to ANY 3_7_4 build (SSE, SSE2,RC2,AVX) I get NO render on the models, except glows FX. Doesn't matter no mods, blue planet, MediaVP 2014 SAME THING!  :banghead:

See below:

Normally I wouldn't care so much, however mods like Blue Planet get a dumpload of errors running the regular 372.exe and now eventually crater on the last part of Warrior from Heaven campaign (now I'm hooked on the story line  :shaking: ) I need a fix!!  :eek:

Thanks Guys in advance

Other Details: Using Original Freespace 2 disks from 1999. installed freespace open ontop.

-Edited- Logfile Attached

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 05:35:39 pm by xTooMuchBoostx »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

The renderer changed in 3.7.4, so you might need to use some different options in the launcher, a log will help confirm that.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

attached log to previous post  :yes:

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Thanks for the log.  However, could you please post another one where you've entered a mission & reproduced the issue?

Alternatively, you could try setting "Disable GLSL (shader) support" in the launcher, although I don't know why a HD5800 series card supporting OGL 4.2 would have problems our shaders...
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Here is the log after opening the a mission and replicating issue.

Even the technical database will also not show models.

Running Debug exe and Disabling GLSL (shader) support allows for models to show  :nod:

So what does this mean exactly?

thankyou for the help thus far

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Couple of things: You have selected the following commandline settings:
Code: [Select]
  -noenv
  -noglow
  -nospec
  -nonormal
  -noheight
  -old_collision

The only one of those that has any performance impact is -noenv (aka Disable Environment Mapping in the launcher). The rest is either neutral or really unnecessary; could you try removing them to see what happens then?

Also, you could try disabling shadows, they are by quite a margin the most expensive feature (and the one most likely to break on older cards).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Running Debug exe and Disabling GLSL (shader) support allows for models to show  :nod:
So what does this mean exactly?

For some reason your video card has a problem with FSO's default renderer, which is a little bit surprising given your card is about the same age as mine (GTS 450) and mine works just fine.

In addition to what The_E has suggested, you could also try:
1) In the launcher try selecting these options, either individually or together: "Disable batched model rendering", "Disable geometry shader for effects"
2) Check that your video card drivers are up to date
3) Try a recent nightly, which has an even newer renderer, but might also have some other bugs being very new

Also, you could try disabling shadows, they are by quite a margin the most expensive feature (and the one most likely to break on older cards).

I don't think that should be required, shadows should be off by default in 3.7.4.
----
----

Code: [Select]
  OpenGL Renderer  : ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
OpenGL Version   : 4.2.11762 Compatibility Profile Context
Problem is that these gpu drivers are from c. 2011.
OpenGL 4.2 was latest at that time.

Could you try update drivers?

Any render errors, the first step should always be to make sure you have up to date graphics drivers. That's troubleshooting 101 for these sorts of problems.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Any render errors, the first step should always be to make sure you have up to date graphics drivers. That's troubleshooting 101 for these sorts of problems.

Held off on updating the latest drivers until I asked you guys. I wasn't sure if it would make things worse  :sigh: being that it is an older game.

Problem Fixed   :yes:  Thankyou for your help and patience

sounds really dumb, but just wanted to get the right info before doing something. I have had issues with updated drivers causing issues in the past (nvida motherboard with ati videocard)

one last question: should this question be reposted to a troubleshooting thread and removed here?

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Yes! Downloading now.

Offline Luis Dias

So.... what are the novelties here (apart from all the work you guys have had with bugs)?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
There are a lot of things that have been added. I tried going through the list of closed merge requests to get a comprehensive list, but we have been veeeerrrrryyyy busy :P

The big things that spring to my mind immediately are deferred rendering/shadows and fast debug builds, but there are lots and lots of smaller features or tweaks to existing features (like SSM beams, for example)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
There's also enhanced sound (requires OpenALSoft).
----
----

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
There's also enhanced sound (requires OpenALSoft).

Does this mean if I have OpenAL installed via the creative thing I should now do the other one?
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
You don't have to uninstall Creative's OpenAL if you don't want to; you can just pop the OpenAL Soft DLL into your FSO directory and rename it to OpenAL32.dll; that'll make FSO use OpenAL Soft instead of the system-wide OpenAL DLL (if using wxLauncher, also copy it to your wxLauncher\bin\ folder so wxLauncher sees the same devices).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Dumb question maybe, but is wxlauncher NECESSARY or can I stick with the old windows launcher 5.5g?