Author Topic: ANNOUNCEMENT: Eos: The Coward's Blade  (Read 14479 times)

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
ANNOUNCEMENT: Eos: The Coward's Blade

I'm working on a 10-14 mission mini-campaign that will (hopefully) get released in a couple of months. I've currently got all of the important mods I need (although a few minor things still need to be added), but I'm still FREDing the first mission, and it might die away like all the other half baked campaign ideas I've ever had.  Although, this particular campaign is different in that I actually have the basic storyline planned out.

Description:
Twenty years have passed since the Second Shivan Incursion. When Capella was destroyed, it drove the Alliance into a state of panic. None of our warships-not even the Colossus-were able to stand up to the overwhelming firepower of the Shivan juggernauts, and had we not sealed them of in Capella, the Alliance would have been annihilated. As it stood, we had lost nearly all of the 3rd Fleet-save for the GTD Aquitaine-and billions of Capellan citizens. These events caused economic depression and severely damaged the reputation of the Security Council and the GTVA in general-they had promised a military solution to the Shivan threat, and when the time came they were arrogant and unprepared.
To end the depression and again strengthen the military, the Security Council passed the Armada Declaration, a program of massive military spending. This plan would employ billions of civilian workers and create a fleet of next-generation warships capable of matching or exceeding the damage output of their Shivan counterparts. This ambitious project has taken over fifteen years to complete, and there are some within the Alliance that have criticized it, calling it an unnecessary and costly waste of resources-the Shivans have not been sighted for twenty years, and many doubt that they will ever return. Ultimately, though, the Declaration has been a success-at least from a military perspective. With the funds provided by the Declaration, we have improved every aspect of our fleet. We have created devastating long-range beam and torpedo weaponry, and advances in armor technology have allowed us to produce warship hulls up to 80% stronger that previous designs. It seems that we can finally match the Destroyers.
But when they finally return, will we truly be ready?
Shivan forces have taken over Eos-256, and the 7th Fleet is being sent to reclaim the system. You are a member of the elite 276th Highlanders bomber squadron, and you're about to be caught in a milennia-old war.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I said, I may never finish this. On the other hand, I think I have enough done to make it worth mentioning. Eos will not be story-driven, although I will try to make the narrative at least somewhat interesting. I've managed to adapt WiH's capship control script for the Orff, so there will be several opportunities to pilot it. I will also include several unlockable bonus craft, such as the Pyro GX and Vishnan Missionary. If I get the mini-campaign finished, I may create a larger sequel. However, seeing as I have little FREDing experience and little free time, I won't be trying to create my own Derelict. I'd rather finish something relatively small than plan a huge 50+ mission campaign that never gets done.

EDIT: Updated the descripton
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 10:26:57 pm by Apollo »
Current Project - Eos: The Coward's Blade. Coming Soon (hopefully.)

Offline Madrox

• Because destroying shivans ins´t enough...
    • My DeviantArt
Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Eos: The Coward's Blade
You have a game design philosophy completely different than mine, i give more effort first on story, then gameplay, and then ,if this willl not cripple the experience  and performance within the campaign, the graphics.

Well, after reading your story i found it... average, with many inconsistencies like:
- After i lost an entire system of worlds, the last thing i would be occupied with is with the military, i would first invest in rebuild supply lines,  reallocating the exiled people of Capella to another worlds, invest in the people....then i would think about investing in the military, 20 years its a very short time to do it all. not to talk about the motivations of the GTVA government, "protect against future Shivan invasions"? they are locked in the Capella for Russel´s Teapot! even if you use something coming directly from Deus Ex Machina (the literary concept, not the campaign xD) the GTVA would be not so concerned about it so soon.

- So, in the time of 20 years after a civil war and a entire system destruction by the hands of the Shivans you think they would ave the resources to buid a Supercarrier?

-You plot seems to be a little...rushed...try to slowdown thing a little, take some more time to develop the situation, even with all this DEM thing, you will be able to do a nice story.

well, thats it! dont give up, your idea shows potential (who am i to talk about it? xD) but need a bit more pplish on the story.

antoher  question: you will do all the models by yourself?

I wait for updates! \o/

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Madrox, my friend, I think his plot is fine. Your objections are of the 'I would take a different approach' order, not 'your story is logically inconsistent'.

20 years seems like a perfectly reasonable time for a big military buildup in preparation for another Shivan incursion. FreeSpace 2 itself said the GTVA knew that sealing Capella was only a temporary measure. BP took a lot of the same positions on post-Capella development and made it make sense in 18 years.

Offline Madrox

• My DeviantArt
Madrox, my friend, I think his plot is fine. Your objections are of the 'I would take a different approach' order, not 'your story is logically inconsistent'.

20 years seems like a perfectly reasonable time for a big military buildup in preparation for another Shivan incursion. FreeSpace 2 itself said the GTVA knew that sealing Capella was only a temporary measure. BP took a lot of the same positions on post-Capella development and made it make sense in 18 years.

Hummm, maybe you´re right, but i still think this plot isn´t a good as could be. personal opinion tough...
Im not the best writter out there. i only tried to give some constructive critisism.
xD

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
antoher  question: you will do all the models by yourself?

All the models I'm using have been released either publicly or in campaigns.

As for the storyline, it probably could use some more polish.

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Isn't the Karnak already used for a class of Vasudan Insatallation from FS1?
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
Isn't the Karnak already used for a class of Vasudan Insatallation from FS1?

The 'Karnak' I'm using is just a Hedetet with slightly altered maps. Since the GVI Karnak is non-canon, I felt it would be OK to reuse its name.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It completely is.

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Although it's not Canon, it is included in the FSPort release and in several campaigns.  As such it would be somewhat confusing to use it as a destroyer class. 
IMHO
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The GTCv Diomedes class from BP shares its name with a canon Deimos-class corvette from the retail campaign. Was anyone confused ? Nope.

That's just one of many example. Name-sharing is perfectly fine.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
blah, blah, blah...

I wanna screenshots! :D
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Although it's not Canon, it is included in the FSPort release and in several campaigns.  As such it would be somewhat confusing to use it as a destroyer class. 
IMHO

We have a bunch of non-canon name sharing. There are at least two Orestes and Eos and probably more than two Hyperions.

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
blah, blah, blah...

The SFg Xantico firing its primary cannon.

From the first mission-sort of.

Offline Madrox

• My DeviantArt
blah, blah, blah...

The SFg Xantico firing its primary cannon.

From the first mission-sort of.

It seems...
ominous...
xD

I want to see what comes next. \o/

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
IMHO

We have a bunch of non-canon name sharing. There are at least two Orestes and Eos and probably more than two Hyperions.
There are only so many elements of Greek mythology you can go through before you start getting some overlap, after all.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Why use Greek? why not something else, like Old English/Frisian, Finnish, Lithuanian, Slavic, Indian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Mongolian, Turkish, Scythian, Etruscan, Phoenician, Georgian, Armenian, etc.

You get the point.
Volition would have come to this wall eventually as well, so...  :o

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Why use Greek? why not something else, like Old English/Frisian, Finnish, Lithuanian, Slavic, Indian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Mongolian, Turkish, Scythian, Etruscan, Phoenician, Georgian, Armenian, etc.

You get the point.

Yeah, uh, we do that. (Hindu myth is a big source with a lot of thematic connections to FreeSpace)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

You get the point.
In FS canon ship classes generally follow the following themes

Terran = Greek
Vasudan = Egyptian
Shivan = Evil Mythology

So to feel consistent model makers tend to follow these themes.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Madrox

• My DeviantArt

You get the point.

Terran = Greek
Vasudan = Egyptian
Shivan = Evil Mythology

Actually, Shivas = Hindu Mythology
D:

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

You get the point.

Terran = Greek
Vasudan = Egyptian
Shivan = Evil Mythology

Actually, Shivas = Hindu Mythology
D:

while yes there are Hindu references also consider that many come from other beliefs for example the Lucifer, Manticore, Nephilim, Seraphim, Dis, Azrael, Cain, Lilith, Moloch, and possibly Sathanas (Satan?) is named for near and middle eastern and Dragon, Basilisk, are European
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art