Author Topic: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.3.5  (Read 378476 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.2.1
I've uploaded version 2.2.1 with the following changes:

• Improved extraction of archives that contain only a single file, such as compressed .tars
  • Improved handling of temporary files used during the extraction process
  • Minor code tweaks

Offline Pickles

I'm new to Freespace and generally bringing nothing to the table but I wanted to create an account to say a huge Thank You for all your work on this.  It is, quite simply, amazing.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:welcome:

Thanks for the kind words.  Do be sure to send messages to the mod teams as well, or post in their forums.  The FSO Installer is merely the gateway to all the fantastic content that the community has produced.

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Am I blind? There's no .exe files in the installer .rar file.

edit: ignore this post, i am dumb, don't use winrar to open the archive, feel free to make fun of me
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 08:18:44 pm by Ghost »
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
edit: ignore this post, i am dumb, don't use winrar to open the archive, feel free to make fun of me

I would, but alas, my flamethrower is filled with water...

Offline bmwbmc

Hello and a BIG THANK YOU to everybody for keeping this alive and kicking. I can't really contribute with much other than playing, unfortunately, but I'm sure as hell gonna enjoy every minute of it. I haven't been around here for a good few years but I'm back now and it's great to see the installer working. A few years back i followed the manual instructions to get everything working (installer was down at the time) and i just noticed now that the installer is up and running ;7. However, the wiki page still states that the installer is out. I'm just thinking that it might help other newbies get into the whole Freespace spirit if they would find an easier way to get started.
Now though, it's time to kill some shivans! :D

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Thanks for the post, it's always nice to receive feedback.  Speaking of which... could you link the wiki page that was still recommending the manual install? I had a look through some likely pages and couldn't find it to ensure it's updated.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Thanks for the post, it's always nice to receive feedback.  Speaking of which... could you link the wiki page that was still recommending the manual install? I had a look through some likely pages and couldn't find it to ensure it's updated.

It's on the first page of the getting started wiki.  It just says that the installer doesn't work.  Maybe it could be changed to link to the installer release thread?
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I can't really contribute with much other than playing, unfortunately, but I'm sure as hell gonna enjoy every minute of it.

That's a perfectly good way to contribute. We always can use feedback on what you liked or didn't like. And if you're willing to playtest, there are lots of people with campaigns that really need that sort of playing.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

What on earth do I do with this file? I can't see an executable file or anything.

I'm very confused.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Are you referring to the .jar file? If so, you will need to install the java runtime (a link can be found on fsoinstaller.com).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Yes, I'm referring to the jar file. I've never seen one of those before.

I do have java installed. Is that what you mean?

Thank you for your help by the way, I really appreciate it.

OK, I just figured it out. I had to right-click on the jar file and "Open With" Java.

I sure do appreciate your help. You learn something every day!

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
I just tried the installer again. It took 7 tries until I finally got everything installed. Most of the time I had to retry the FSPort MVPs 2014 because they failed with a CRC error:
Code: [Select]
2016-07-23 22:02:40,188 [pool-1-thread-2] WARN  com.fsoinstaller.internet.Downloader - Extraction failed due to CRC error!
2016-07-23 22:02:40,189 [pool-1-thread-2] ERROR com.fsoinstaller.internet.Downloader - An exception was thrown during download!
net.sf.sevenzipjbinding.SevenZipException: CRC error
at com.fsoinstaller.internet.Downloader$2.setOperationResult(Downloader.java:726)
at net.sf.sevenzipjbinding.impl.InArchiveImpl.nativeExtract(Native Method)
at net.sf.sevenzipjbinding.impl.InArchiveImpl.extract(InArchiveImpl.java:112)
at com.fsoinstaller.internet.Downloader.downloadFromArchive(Downloader.java:461)
at com.fsoinstaller.internet.Downloader.download0(Downloader.java:223)
at com.fsoinstaller.internet.Downloader.download(Downloader.java:159)
at com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InstallItem.installOne(InstallItem.java:1034)
at com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InstallItem.access$1700(InstallItem.java:70)
at com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InstallItem$6.call(InstallItem.java:798)
at com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InstallItem$6.call(InstallItem.java:791)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Tell me if you need a complete log, I'll try to reproduce it then.

Also, MV_RadarIcons_3612.zip keeps failing with:
Code: [Select]
2016-07-23 22:04:49,507 [pool-1-thread-3] WARN  com.fsoinstaller.internet.Downloader - Extraction failed due to unknown compression method!
2016-07-23 22:04:49,508 [pool-1-thread-3] ERROR com.fsoinstaller.internet.Downloader - An exception was thrown during download!
net.sf.sevenzipjbinding.SevenZipException: HRESULT: 0x1 (FALSE). Error extracting 1 item(s)
at net.sf.sevenzipjbinding.impl.InArchiveImpl.nativeExtract(Native Method)
at net.sf.sevenzipjbinding.impl.InArchiveImpl.extract(InArchiveImpl.java:112)
at com.fsoinstaller.internet.Downloader.downloadFromArchive(Downloader.java:461)
at com.fsoinstaller.internet.Downloader.download0(Downloader.java:223)
at com.fsoinstaller.internet.Downloader.download(Downloader.java:159)
at com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InstallItem.installOne(InstallItem.java:1034)
at com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InstallItem.access$1700(InstallItem.java:70)
at com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InstallItem$6.call(InstallItem.java:798)
at com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InstallItem$6.call(InstallItem.java:791)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: net.sf.sevenzipjbinding.SevenZipException: Unknown compression method
at com.fsoinstaller.internet.Downloader$2.setOperationResult(Downloader.java:712)
... 13 more
However if I manually download that file and extract it with 7z, it works fine.

I'm using ArchLinux 64-bit if that helps.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the CRC error could be due to network or host issues.  And the MVPs only have one download host, so the FSO Installer can't try mirrors if one fails.

The MV_RadarIcons_3612.zip seems to be particularly prone to causing errors -- in at least one case due to being so small that it triggered a bug with my integration with 7-zip.  (This bug is now fixed, assuming you're using the latest version.)

One other possibility is that 7-zip JBinding is not well supported on ArchLinux.  Since this library was not written in Java, it has to be recompiled for every platform.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Hm, couldn't the installer retry a failed download even if there's only one mirror? The CRC errors are weird because I seldom have issues with corrupted downloads.

Anyway, it makes reinstalling FSO so much easier.  :yes: Thanks for your hard work.

I've made a small change to the mirror monitor. The time of the last update is now relative (i.e. "Last updated: 38s ago"). You'll also get a warning if the data is older than an hour.

And the MVPs only have one download host, so the FSO Installer can't try mirrors if one fails.
Do you need / want mirrors? Isn't lunardigitalproductions.com a mirror?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the CRC error could be due to network or host issues.  And the MVPs only have one download host, so the FSO Installer can't try mirrors if one fails.

The MV_RadarIcons_3612.zip seems to be particularly prone to causing errors -- in at least one case due to being so small that it triggered a bug with my integration with 7-zip.  (This bug is now fixed, assuming you're using the latest version.)

One other possibility is that 7-zip JBinding is not well supported on ArchLinux.  Since this library was not written in Java, it has to be recompiled for every platform.

Would implementing multiple connections to the same server (split the file into segments and download them at the same time ala download accelerators) be hard?

Because, then if one segment fails, it can be resumed without failing the whole file, and if all segments fail, it's probably definitely a problem on the server side.

IMHO.  I've been using download accelerators since... 1997? In my personal experience, that tech (multiple resumeable download streams for the same file) increase the reliability and speed of a download in 95% of cases.

Of course, if it's a headache, probably not worth the effort (although I imagine you could port one of multiple open-source Java Download Manager engines into the Installer?)

Last time I used the Installer I had to re-run it to complete all downloads, which, if I'd have used a browser + download manager I can almost guarantee I would have been able to download everything without issue.

Anyways, it's just a thought, and the Installer is a big plus regardless of all this, so feel free to ignore.  :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hm, couldn't the installer retry a failed download even if there's only one mirror? The CRC errors are weird because I seldom have issues with corrupted downloads.
Hmm.  I thought the Installer did retry certain downloads, but you're right, it looks like it only tries once per file, unless there's a mirror.

Anyway, it makes reinstalling FSO so much easier.  :yes: Thanks for your hard work.
You're welcome. :)

I've made a small change to the mirror monitor. The time of the last update is now relative (i.e. "Last updated: 38s ago"). You'll also get a warning if the data is older than an hour.
Ah, cool. :yes:

Do you need / want mirrors? Isn't lunardigitalproductions.com a mirror?
More mirrors are always appreciated.  Yes, lunardigitalproductions.com is a mirror, but only for certain mods.  Not all mods are mirrored to all sites.  The MediaVPs, both 3.6.12 and 2014 editions, are only available from fsmods.net.

Would implementing multiple connections to the same server (split the file into segments and download them at the same time ala download accelerators) be hard?

Yes.  Especially in zip files.

It's a solved problem, but it would be a lot of effort to implement.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
The MediaVPs, both 3.6.12 and 2014 editions, are only available from fsmods.net.
You're correct about the 3.6.12 edition but the release post for the MVPs 2014 contains links to lunardigitalproductions.com (which is why I asked).

More mirrors are always appreciated.
Done. MediaVPs 2014 and MediaVPs 3.6.12.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You're correct about the 3.6.12 edition but the release post for the MVPs 2014 contains links to lunardigitalproductions.com (which is why I asked).
Ah.  Well, see the next point...

Done. MediaVPs 2014 and MediaVPs 3.6.12.
Thanks, but it is the mod author who is responsible for maintaining his own list of mirrors.  Since I don't have access to the MediaVP FSMods FTP (which is where the relevant text files are stored), I can't edit the files to add the mirrors.