Author Topic: RELEASE: SHMUPSpace Battle of Deneb Demo 1.2  (Read 28456 times)

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
RELEASE: SHMUPSpace Battle of Deneb Demo 1.2

What is SHMUPSpace?

SHMUPSpace is an arcade style mod for FreeSpace Open engine that follows the lines of more traditional shoot em ups (or shmup) of the late 80s and early 90s. Games like R-Type, Gradius, Thunder Force, and Gleylancer were my key inspirations in designing this mod. Then again, I did put a few nods here and there to Spoon's TDS (Please, please play that as well!) mod. TDS was what gave me the initial drive to make this mod in the first place.

That being said, it's time for something different. ALPHA ONE is always claimed to be the godlike being...now he really is!

Is There a Story to This?

No....well kinda. Even if there is a story there, don't expect it to make any bit of sense, even much less sense than Loliquest Dimensional Eclipse. Just don't expect it to follow FreeSpace continuity any one bit if it makes the game non deterministic (shields and flak guns never existed for anyone! Beams are called flux cannons instead are used only for bosses or really, really major enemies. Flux cannons only fire in a fixed direction).

How Does This Work? (AKA How to Play)
The goal of the game is to fight through each of the missions, blowing up as many bad guys as you can (cruiser class ships and below are valid targets to destroy, though larger ships take more effort than smaller ones) where at the end you may or may not face an end boss of that stage. You're given 3 lives at the start of the mission. If you die, you lose a life. When you restart the mission from either death or from the escape menu you are sent to a predetermined checkpoint (you get NO choice whether you go there or not) and lose all your upgrades in the process. If you die on your last life, you start from the beginning of the mission (at least in the first mission which is of course this release. Later releases will send you back to a selection screen after the first mission).

There are 3 types of upgrades, each of which are found inside a TTC 1 container and can be exposed by blow the cargo container up:

Red - Symbolized not only by being the color red but also have the letter "P" on them. These weapons upgrade the laser your ship has. This upgrade does carry between levels.
Blue - Symbolized by a blue spinning ring with the secondary acquired in the middle, it loads your ship with that secondary weapon pictured. This does not carry between levels.
Green - Green spinning right with a green plus sign in the middle, this restores 25% of your ship's health. Mr One Hitpoint Wonder doesn't get these anymore.

The controls of this mod are as follows (when you initially create your pilot):

Arrow Keys - Move
Z - Fire primary.
X - Fire secondary.
C - Change Primary Bank
V - Change Secondary Bank
Shift V - Change Secondary Fire Mode

If you decide to not use the pilot file, this mod only uses these controls in the control menu which you may just want to rebind:

Left Thrust
Right Thrust
Up Thrust
Down Thrust
Fire Primary Weapon
Fire Secondary Weapon
Cycle Primary Weapon
Cycle Secondary Weapon
Cycle Secondary Fire Mode

PITCHURES

Cause everyone loves pictures!

^ That's what it looks like when you play on Insane difficulty. It gets noticeably easier on lower difficulty levels. (Slightly dated image)

Installation Instructions

1. You'll need to use the BP builds (I've tested it on the BP builds, but it *should* work on the 3.7 builds since I'm not using anything specific to the BP ones) and ALSO RUN THIS MOD IN A 16:9 SCREEN RATIO RESOLUTION. Why do I have to run it in that ratio you may ask. Well, unlike space sims, side scrollers are very dependent on what ratio the screen is as well as the field of view the player is given. This is a major impact on game balance and I'm not going to rebalance the mod for 10 different screen ratios. If you don't know what valid resolutions would be, here's a list of some of the resolutions supported by this mod:

1280 x 720
1600 x 900
1920 x 1080

Also, don't try to be a wise guy and run something other than those three, because the mod will error you out if you try anything else. :p

2. Extract the mod folder in the usual location and run it like you would any other mod.

3. Create a new pilot for this mod. This is essential that you do unlike most other mods because the entire control layout is different.

DOWNLOAD YES

Go get it boy 1.2 baby123!

Honestly I don't know how well this will fare to the world since my testers all ran out on me saying they're no good at this type of game. This release only contains the first mission as a way to get a feel for the reception of this mod.

Update! Version 1.2 Changes:

• Gameplay
    • You are now a one hit point wonder. One hit you're dead. Kaboom. Disappear. Wooooosh. Goodbye. EXCEPTIONS:
      • Splash Damage from missiles
      • Beams
    • As a result of the above, you are also more powerful. Powering up makes more a noticeable difference. Except at unpowered, where the player gets a small damage nerf.
    • Significantly reduced the health of "popcorn" enemies. Lokis and Watchdogs should not be able to be one shotted even at unpowered levels. Alasters two, Hercs three.
    • Buffed damage of the Rockeye to 100 damage and Tempest to 150 damage
    • Lower difficulty levels reduce the firerate of enemies much more greatly (4.0,2.5,2.0,1.5,1.0)
    • Base fire rate of lighter enemy weapons increased slightly
    • Reduced difficulty of Big Core Rev 1.2 fight by increasing base fire rate for both the ion rings and the spread shots
  • Other Changes
    • All 16:9 based screen resolutions are now supported.
    • To let its spirit live on, I'm using the This badass soundtrack instead of what was used for 1.0 and 1.1. Farewell LIVER USUALIS, you had your time. :p
    • You no longer need mr ShmupKing. Controlconfigdefaults.tbl has been implemented will autoassign the proper keys when you create a pilot.

To do for 1.3:
  • Remove Big Core Rev 1.2. It's cool and all, but I need to make room for a very very special corvette that has some surrendering to do *hinthintwinkwink*.
  • Rework Stage 1 entirely. It really doesn't work out all that well since ALPHA ONE is a one hitpoint wonder, this could become way too hard for a first level. While I did do some rebalancing, I feel that I just want to redo the level anyway to add some more new features regarding levels
  • Add a scoring system
  • Finalize what I want for the levels
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:33:33 am by AndrewofDoom »
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
Re: RELEASE: SHMUPSpace Battle of Deneb Demo
OMG

what's the extra pilot file for?
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
For the ship controls.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
its too hard you most make update
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Amusing typo in the very first briefing screen: I think 'stored key parts of the planet' should be 'stormed'.

Couldn't pick up the first health power-up the first time I reached it, but I could the second time.

Controls went a little wonky at times, and collisions could have some odd effects, but overall I'd say it's an amazing accomplishment.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:38:05 pm by Alan Bolte »
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

its too hard you most make update

Shmup newb.  :p

IMHO:
Difficulty is fine (average shmup, I'd say). If you're going for a Gradius type feel you've gotten it down (LOL at boss).

Aesthetically it looks incredible, utilizing all of the main engine's graphics I see. My only complaint in the graphics area is that weapons fire is not very visible. I know you're just going off of Freespace's default weapons graphics, but in shmups it is very important to be able to clearly see shots, both your own and your enemies'. Minor complaint there. The background nebulae also sometimes obscured things, but that may be my own graphics settings so I'm not sure whether to blame myself on that one. :D

Criticisms: Collisions. Everytime you collide with something, it sends the ship rocketing uncontrollably forward, often into more collisions, and more damage. This makes colliding with anything pretty much instant death. Which was fine in R-Type/Gradius/etc since the ship was a one hit wonder anyway, but here where you have a health meter it seems overly punishing, especially with how close you have to get to some ships to shoot their turrets.

Also, what's with that 1 single Tempest in our inventory at the beginning? A later pick-up gives us 80 of the things! :)   I'll just assume that's a bug for now.

All in all, though, I thought it was very fun, and I am dying to see more of this. My only major complaint is the wonky collision physics.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
My only major complaint is the wonky collision physics.

Believe me I wanted a way to work around that issue. It's due to how the script works (every frame the player is given an additive velocity equal to the scroll speed). I originally used a less wonky style of just moving the player along with the speed with a simple change in position. But that ended up allowing the player to go through any ship by just not moving.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Aha that was so awesome! A totally new take on freespace gameplay and it WORKS! It works quite well. Everyone play it! play it now!

Spoiler:
[harsh]
You know what I am going to say Andrew. Why all the text at the beginning? There's not much to the plot so why all the freakin text explaining nothing?! Everything is skippable (I did not skip!) and you do skip I don't think it takes away from the game. Fleet x is moving to... fleet y is engaging at... blah blah AAAH!
[/harsh]
I'm surprised you can't manually change default control schemes with some kind of modding table or something. Be nice if you could.
Death happened shortly after "destroy the core". I was playing on easy. I'll let bosch win that one lol.
cool use of the powerups and really great atmosphere. There was a lot of action in the background and the foreground flying through the NTF fleet. Felt like a true schmup. Who needs the third dimension?
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This is outstanding, AndrewofDoom.  An absolutely incredible piece of work!  Well done!  The atmosphere, gameplay, opponents, and general goofiness capture the feeling of a classic "shmup" perfectly.  Very awesome, and probably the best deserving mod of a highlight so far this year. :D

There are still some rough edges to be shaken out -- ability to pick up power-ups, sometimes not being on the same plane as the cargo, recovery if you happen to get snagged and dragged off-screen by the corner of a ship, etc. -- but those can be worked on.  This is already a must-download as it is.

I must say, though, that either I spent too little time in the arcades when I was little or you made this way too hard.  I mean WAAAAAYYY too freaking hard, to the point of hilarity.  I kept on dying after only a few minutes of gameplay, on both Medium and Very Easy.  That's not a show-stopper, though, because the invulnerability cheat comes to the rescue.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
see look goober agrees with me its too hard you most make an update

also collision it is not working by mission 1 you most make an update

In more seriousness, you say "my testers all ran out on me saying they're no good at this type of game." But every time I bring up an issue I'm brushed off by statements which basically read to me like "YOU ****ING SUCK AT THIS GAME" or "Can't be changed. DEAL WITH IT SUCKER" (Literally, most of the responses I had were along the lines of "AVOID THE SHIPS AND YOU WON'T COLLIDE". WELL THANKS, I'm not trying to run into ships...) That's not very encouraging. For one, I brought up the collision/sliding issue the very first time I tested it, and every time you just write it off. It's like you're allergic to thinking, and then even when I come up with suggestions for workarounds you just whine about how they're not perfect and/or ignore them. IMO the collision thing really ruins an otherwise brilliant concept, especially since ships that are vaporizing and are basically totally invisible still collide and cause that sliding thing (which, AFAIK, does not happen in Gradius). I admit that I might very well be atrocious at these sorts of games, but it should be no surprise why I said **** it and went off to go play Hoshizora no Memoria instead - I figured my testing wouldn't affect anything anyway. Testers aren't there to go "OHMAHGOD UR SO AWSUM CAN I SUK UR BALLS", they're there to point out potential flaws.

[/end rant]

Yes, I'm just ever so slightly annoyed that everything I said just got blatantly ignored, and then called out on for not actually testing. I thought you would have learned...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:57:55 am by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I kept on dying after only a few minutes of gameplay, on both Medium and Very Easy.  That's not a show-stopper, though, because the invulnerability cheat comes to the rescue.
Talk for you. Not everyone can use cheats.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
You guys couldn't handle very easy? Man, I thought I was crap at shmups.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'll try this! R-Type 3 start/force selection screen music looks to suit the screen shot shown :)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken