Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 422735 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.6.0 (combined launcher/installer)
Yeah.. I would prefer we stay away from doing that. I've been working on an updated MediaVPs. My time is just limited. I'm shooting for January.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Crashdown117

• You can't take the sky from me
    • Steam
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.7.1 (combined launcher/installer)
Okay, so I got this awesome new launcher/installer, my freshly reinstalled retail FS2 and a couple of mods downloaded via the "Explore" tab (which btw worked really fast even with my ****ty Internet). Only one little problem: My old profile doesn't show up in the pilot selection screen (and yes, I restored my old player data the very second after I had finished reinstalling, it's right where it always has been). I already tried copying everything missing to the new directory, Knossos created within my FS2 folder, but that didn't do the trick either. Does Knossos somehow affect where the game goes looking for player files or am I missing something else here?
"Flying is easy, landing is hard" - Delta-07

Offline m!m

The pilot file location changed when FSO 3.8 was released. wxLauncher automatically copies all the relevant files but since Knossos only support 3.8 it doesn't do that (at least as far as I know). If you want to continue using your old pilot files then the easiest solution would be to install wxLauncher and launch FSO once. That will copy all the pilot files to the correct folders.

Offline Crashdown117

• You can't take the sky from me
    • Steam
Found the new diretory by searching, but thanks anyway!
"Flying is easy, landing is hard" - Delta-07

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Don't some mods require older versions of FSO to work properly (at least, until FSCRP gets ahold of them)?  In which case, perhaps something should be done with this?  This sounds like something that was already discussed, I must have missed that.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Knossos requires FSO 3.8 or newer to work. So any mods that absolutely require < 3.8 are not compatible with Knossos. However, this should be a very small number, if any.

Offline CT27

https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=94068.msg1857856#msg1857856

mjn, on this post picture, "The Aeos Affair" is listed as version 1.0.0, but the version I have downloaded (in the past, not from Knossos) says it was version 2.0.  Does Knossos have an earlier version of the campaign or is this a special version for Knossos?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Knossos mod versions != non-Knossos mod versions in general. At least not when we're mass uploading every mod ever.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Can the modder overwrite version numbers?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Can the modder overwrite version numbers?
The version number is specified by the modder, if that's what you're asking.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You can't change the version number of uploaded mods. Modders can upload new versions of the same mod, which will become the default download/install for users. The old version will always be available.

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
Hello !

I have a problem on the "settings" tab : I select my joystick (T-16000M), then click "save", but Knossos don't remember my choice (evey time I return to the "settings" tab, "no joystick" is selected again).

Any advice ?

Anyway, excellent work on this  :yes:
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
This might be related to a different bug where the saving worked but FSO used a different joystick. I'll release 0.7.2 soon and if that doesn't fix your issue I'll look into this further!

Got another question: Will there be a graphic preset feature similar to wxlauncher in the future?

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
That depends on whether enough people want something like that and how hard it'd be to implement. 0.7.1 introduced the ability for users to set mod-specific flags 0.7.2 or 0.8.0 will add global flags. Since the lightning presets from wxLauncher are just flags, those could be implemented afterwards using the same mechanism.

However, I can't say anything more specific until those are done. The biggest problem so far is that Knossos doesn't handle flags the same way wxLauncher does. wxLauncher just saves the flags in profiles which the user can save and load. Apart from that there was just a single global list of active flags. Knossos saves flags for every installed mod. By default, the flags supplied by the modder are used and can be changed by the user.
The upcoming global flags won't straight up replace these defaults but rather act as a filter by removing or adding specific flags from the modder default.

The idea is that modders supply sensible defaults and unexperienced users can just install a mod without having to worry about flags. More experienced users can still modify those flags.
Another thing I just remembered; we can't reuse the graphic presets from wxLauncher since 3.8.0 has a different rendering engine and needs new graphic presets.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Having trouble downloading the mac version.  My internet connection is not great, and it says that it will take five hours to finish the 69 MB download. But we can watch netflix here without a problem. :confused:  After a while it tends to fail before it gets to a MB...

Edit: Tried it again, it worked in five minutes....  :wtf: :blah: ;7
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 05:33:48 pm by Cyborg17 »

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
For a german speaking installation manual that will also include Knossos i have to delete it and reinstall it again for Screenshots. But in that process i found out, that i am not able to install one of my own Modification anymore  :banghead:

Knossos is always complaining "I'm sorry, but you won't be able to install "FreiRaum: Stille Bedrohung: Wiedergeboren"  because "FSO" is missing."

But i have also reinstalled FSO of course. I am using the last stable and nightly build and all other modifications are installable and working. But i can not even install that one, to change any settings in the Development tab. I fear, that i have accidentally selected a Nightly build for the default settings back then...and now Knossos has trouble because it want this particular version or something. But i get this message even after i have installed all available nightly versions in the FSO Details.

EDIT:
INFO:Thread-3:tasks.init2: Nothing to do for this InstallTask!
WARNING:Thread-10:progress.add_task: Added an empty task of type "LoadLocalModsTask". Ignoring it!
ERROR:MainThread:windows.show_packages: Well, I won't be installing that...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\knossos\knossos\windows.py", line 385, in show_packages
  File "C:\knossos\knossos\repo.py", line 384, in process_pkg_selection
knossos.repo.PackageNotFound: No version of mod "FSO" found for these constraints: >=3.8.1-20171124,>=3.8.0-2,==3.8.0-2

Well, i even tried to install only the 24th November build and to uninstall every other one... without effect.  :confused:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 05:10:46 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
@Cyborg17: No idea what's going on there. The downloads are hosted on Amazon S3 (thanks to GitHub) so it really shouldn't be causing these problems.

@Novachen: Those constraints are impossible to fulfill (no version can match both ==3.8.0-2 and >=3.8.1-20171124). This might be caused by a bug in earlier Knossos versions. I need to go through the DB and fix all mods affected by this. Unfortunately, I can't take care of that right now but I'll do it tomorrow.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Should be fixed now.

There doesn't seem to be a way to repair the download for a mod, short of uninstalling it and trying again. Okay, that's fine, but if mod A depends on mod B and only B's download fails, it seems like both have to be uninstalled... which is fairly suboptimal when A is BPC, like just happened to me.