Author Topic: WOWExec (and thus the FreeSpace 2 installer) doesn't work correctly  (Read 2881 times)

WOWExec (and thus the FreeSpace 2 installer) doesn't work correctly
It seem s that th einstaller on the FS2 Cds is a 16-bit.. not a problem but... It doesn't seem to work. both the FreeSpace 2 and the MechWarrior 2 installer won't start, the processes are running but I see nihil.

Howto solve this problem?

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Re: WOWExec (and thus the FreeSpace 2 installer) doesn't work correctly
run in compatability mode?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Right-click on their executable, go to Properties, under Compatibility, set it to "Windows 98/Me"

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Some firewalls and AV software block 16-bit applications, especially older ones.  Disable any of that type of software prior to running the installer.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline neoterran

16 bit apps also won't work under vista.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Download MS Virtual PC 2007, see if there is a way (I think there is) to have a shared folder between the virtual and real system.  (share the C:\Games folder, or wherever your gonna stick your prog).  Then all you have to do is export the registry entries in your virtual PC to the shared directory, and import them into Vista.  Of course you need a '98 or XP disc (you can also run DOS, '95, Linux, etc... basically, it's a "Virtual PC")

Of course, FreeSpace2 Online Installer and FreeSpace Open Installer (which also installs FS2!) take care of that problem anyways, look for instructions in my siggy.

Some firewalls and AV software block 16-bit applications, especially older ones.  Disable any of that type of software prior to running the installer.

Thats what I needed...
I have windows XP, I do use compatibility mode, I did use the Freespace open Installer (but I prefer to do everything manually... goes faster if you already downloaded the files)

Now I can play MechWarrior 2 again! goodbye freespace community

*goes AWOL*

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter

Thats what I needed...
I have windows XP, I do use compatibility mode, I did use the Freespace open Installer (but I prefer to do everything manually... goes faster if you already downloaded the files)

Now I can play MechWarrior 2 again! goodbye freespace community

*goes AWOL*

Heh.

The problem actually isn't with wowexec, it's with ntvdm - the emulation Windows XP uses to load 16-bit programs.  Some firewalls and AV software prevents ntvdm from actually performing tasks.  Kerio PF is notorious for this.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]