Author Topic: Just started using a joystick for FS2, am bad at it  (Read 7661 times)

Offline Narvi

Just started using a joystick for FS2, am bad at it
After well over 15 years of playing FS2 with mouse and keyboard, I finally went and bought a joystick (your basic Extreme 3D Pro) for THE AUTHENTIC EXPERIENCE, and let me tell you, I am complete balls at it now.

Can't hit dingus, all my reflexes are tuned to keyboard so I can't roll or pitch or yaw for love or money, and I'm not used to handling a joystick so my hand hurts five minutes in.

I was going to play ST-R again but since I'm getting wiped in the first mission... maybe not. I am not the great space pilot jockey.

Might be time to go back to basics, start the vanilla campaign on easy like I did as a wee babby, and scale up, me thinks! i mean, it's still kind of fun. It's important to try new things.

So, got any preferences for joystick use? Sensitivity settings? Any amusing stories?

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Re: Just started using a joystick for FS2, am bad at it
I've been using a joystick since I started.  I found with a mouse I couldn't turn fast enough to hit anything.  Before the joystick I couldn't pass the third training mission in the FS1 campaign.  The first joystick I had was a sidewinder pro.  It would only control pitch and yaw and had a trigger.  It was better than a key board but you had to use the keyboard to roll and fire missiles.  The joystick didn't last long before the springs broke and it developed a continuous left turn.  Getting the first joystick where I could roll at the same time I turned made such a huge difference.  I went through a series of joysticks all lasting about 6 months before failing in one direction or another.  I finally bought an Extreme 3D Pro that finally after 11 years has failed so will get another.  I find for me setting the sensitivity and deadband at three dots works best for me.   
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Maybe you need to change sensitivity?

i always said m+kb was perfectly good
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
* AdmiralRalwood fistbumps Phantom Hoover
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Performance-wise sure, but what self-respecting actual pilot would be caught dead flying with a little plastic oval? :p

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Precision aiming is a lot easier with a mouse, but turning is much more fluid with a joystick.
I used to switch between the two depending on what was necessary (usually stuck to joystick, mouse only for "sniping" or nailing that one hard-to-hit erratically swerving 'fury ai' fighter in a 1v1)

Then I discovered converging autoaim as a table option. :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Definitely a good assessment. I've been doing a lot of interface testing lately which requires me to jump in to the game for only a few minutes, so I can;t be bothered to set up the joystick only to have it be in my way when I go back to editing, so I've ended up using the mouse rather often.  The mouse is great for nailing those long range shots, but it is pretty bad when it comes to a turning fight since, no matter the sensitivity, at some point you have to pick up the mouse and reposition it, and going in a straight line is BAD.

I'd say, though, it's the throttle I end up missing more than the joystick.  The mouse still allows for fine turning maneuvers, but doesn't give throttle control, and the keyboard is granular rather than continuous, and with the default bindings I find the throttle keys to be in a bad position.  Also I miss all those buttons at my fingertips without moving my hand (I could set up the Nostromo for FS, but that'd be pointless since I actually PLAY with a HOTAS)
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
* AdmiralRalwood fistbumps Phantom Hoover

* BritishShivans joins in the fistbumping

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I use an Extreme 3D Pro with sensitivity to max and deadzone to min.  I reckon being able to use it effectively is mostly muscle memory, and building up enough strength/control in the appropriate muscles that you can move the stick around evenly and fluidly, especially when trying for precise aiming at small targets. Don't get me wrong, I find the mouse is always better at that, but with enough practise you can get pretty good at it with the joystick as well.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Definitely a good assessment. I've been doing a lot of interface testing lately which requires me to jump in to the game for only a few minutes, so I can;t be bothered to set up the joystick only to have it be in my way when I go back to editing, so I've ended up using the mouse rather often.  The mouse is great for nailing those long range shots, but it is pretty bad when it comes to a turning fight since, no matter the sensitivity, at some point you have to pick up the mouse and reposition it, and going in a straight line is BAD.

I'd say, though, it's the throttle I end up missing more than the joystick.  The mouse still allows for fine turning maneuvers, but doesn't give throttle control, and the keyboard is granular rather than continuous, and with the default bindings I find the throttle keys to be in a bad position.  Also I miss all those buttons at my fingertips without moving my hand (I could set up the Nostromo for FS, but that'd be pointless since I actually PLAY with a HOTAS)

Can you bind the mouse wheel?
After well over 15 years of playing FS2 with mouse and keyboard, I finally went and bought a joystick (your basic Extreme 3D Pro) for THE AUTHENTIC EXPERIENCE, and let me tell you, I am complete balls at it now.

Can't hit dingus, all my reflexes are tuned to keyboard so I can't roll or pitch or yaw for love or money, and I'm not used to handling a joystick so my hand hurts five minutes in.

I was going to play ST-R again but since I'm getting wiped in the first mission... maybe not. I am not the great space pilot jockey.

Might be time to go back to basics, start the vanilla campaign on easy like I did as a wee babby, and scale up, me thinks! i mean, it's still kind of fun. It's important to try new things.

So, got any preferences for joystick use? Sensitivity settings? Any amusing stories?

Joystick response curves (test builds).

Offline BirdofPrey

Can you bind the mouse wheel?
Probably.  Think I have it set as weapon switch at the moment.  I haven't really done any rebinding for the mouse since I only use it when I am jumping into the game for 5-10 minutes to test that things are working; I use a joystick for actual play sessions.

Joystick response curves (test builds).
That work with a Saitek X52 Pro?
I ask because, from what I hear, the X52 has a non-linear response curve programmed in already.
A response curve that isn't the best.  I still find the finest maneuvers a bit dodgy at times, still (one of these days, maybe I'll do the magnet mod)
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm, see here (bit of discussion):

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/148471/saitek-x52-x52-pro-request-and-discussion

Supposedly this mod helps.

Oh, and you should look at this if you want to do the mod, it's an updated video from the one posted in that thread:

Offline BirdofPrey

aaaand, now it's TOO sensitive in the middle.

Oh nevermind.  Somehow the profiler software bugged out and forgot where I set my sensitivity levels
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 11:33:08 am by BirdofPrey »

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
i agree with Phantom Hoover :rolleyes:
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
aaaand, now it's TOO sensitive in the middle.

Oh nevermind.  Somehow the profiler software bugged out and forgot where I set my sensitivity levels

Post back after some flying and let us know if this makes it easier for you.  :nod:

Offline BirdofPrey

I wouldn't know since the Saitek software can't seem to save that detail.  Of course it's a total pain in the ass with every game I even NEED to set everything in the crappy profiling software.
The problem I am having setting sensitivity IN game is it basically just lowers the min and max values from the joystick, so you don't turn as fast when the stick is fully over, and what good is something like a Ulysseys if you can't actually get it to turn.

God I miss my sidewinder.  It was always tight and accurate.  I hope stuff like Elite and Star Citizen makes flight sims come back into vouge, so companies start selling more/better joysticks without the absurd prices. All we have now is either crappy, super expensive or no twist (with my desk pedals is too much trouble, but companies seem to like modeling joysticks on a real plane sometimes even for just one game rather than for end-user usability across various things)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Twist axis is the ****.  The rudder rocker on my x45 is... adequate, but damn do I miss my cyborg 3d gold.  I once made a guy in multi kill himself trying to follow me as I flew a uly through one of the Ganymede dogfight maps.  I also remember racking up 20-30 kills per mission back in the day.  Can't come anywhere close to that any more.  I constantly overshoot in dogfights, I used to be dead on all the time.  Not sure that is the result of the joystick, skill atrophy, or this mysterious change in joystick behavior under windows 7 (vs. XP) that I have seen people post about before, but don't understand at all.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Last time I used a twist axis in a realistic flightsim, I nearly broke my wrist. Pedals FTW. :) They're a pricey addition, I admit, but nothing beats those (at least CH ones) for both immersion and precision, though.

Offline BirdofPrey

I do admit the tension required to twist my Saitek makes it hard to hit most of the top buttons.   Makes it hard to use dumbfire missiles against fighters.   The leftmost button is my countermeasures and I don't think I want to change it.

Still pedals don't work well for my desk situation.

On an immersion side note,  at the moment spacecraft use twist sticks rather than pedals, but they aren't fighters.