Author Topic: Favourite fighter?  (Read 18430 times)

Homing missiles are still useful for zone control or buying time though.

Trebs are just... broken stupid godmissiles even if you never fire them at fighters(it's honestly a waste unless you're in a missileboat). That is... until someone decides to change armor.tbl and make turrets harder to snipe with trebs  :(
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
A brute force fix would be to change the subsystem damage multiplier to bring the Treb in line/lower than the Harpoon.

Offline CT27

My favorite fighter is the Erinyes.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Vesuvius, from INF and relatives. It always felt like the medium fighter that was lacking from the FS2 Terran lineup; an Apollo for the new age.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 01:18:27 pm by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

I once edited the fs2 main campaign to enable playing it with Dragon. That ship's the most fun you can have flying... at least until something ignores your shields and you loose a half of your hull and subsystems.

As for the normal choices, I really miss the Valkyire and the fact it had no real replacement in fs2. Perseus is a brilliant fighter but it always felt kind of bland, too "very good!" at everything I guess. Erinyes on the other hand may have other problems but blandness is not one of them, I love it.
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
GTF Erinyes-11
GTF Perseus-8
GTF Ares-3
GVF Serapis-2
GTF Hercules-2
GTF Pegasus-1
GTF Loki-1
GTF Valkrye-1
GTF Ulysses-1
GVF Thoth-1
GVF Seth-1

2 more for the Erinyes.
Another for the Perseus.

Vesuvius, from INF and relatives. It always felt like the medium fighter that was lacking from the FS2 Terran lineup; an Apollo for the new age.
I believe you'll be one of the Final Destination players then...Vesuvius is used a lot in there.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 03:23:28 pm by wardog300k »
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay

Offline FIZ

Gonna go FS1 and bring up the Valkryie and no Athena love?  Meh, I guess not technically a fighter.

I always liked wingmen in Taurets with ample secondaries.  I kinda liked it to when I could get it, good primary spread, didn't feel as heavy as an Aries.  Had a helluva bite in The Procyon Insurgency with Vulcan cannons, I remember that fondly.  I had to look up if it could load Maxims though... damn.  I think I remember feeling like the only reason Maxims weren't compatible on this and the Perseus was balance.  (Seriously, on a Serapis but not either of those?)

But when it boils down to Erinyes vs. Perseus:

Younger me would have said Erinyes.  But having been on the receiving side of both ships in mods (My Brother, My Enemy... My god!) and cranking the difficulty, I'd have to say Perseus. 

She's gotten me home safe more than enough times for me to vote for her in fan poll.  Just a good all around ship.

I like to think the Maxim compatibility of the Serapis was an 'oh ****' moment on the part of the manufacturers as it became steadily clear that they were in fact selling a device for killing friendly pilots in close engagements.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

The Perseus might be a bit boring(Very good) in everything, not absolutely spectacular in anything either, but that just makes it feel very... Terran. It just gets the job done, no flair, but no questions asked either.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline FIZ

Yeah, perhaps preferred fighter for most engagements is more appropriate, but as to no flair... well... :D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 04:10:28 pm by FIZ »

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
PVF/GVF Seth

too bad the Tauret's primary compability is crap
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Retail: Perseus - It's the Erinyes killer

Mods: Kentauroi - Love those reverse afterburners in a dogfight!

Erinyes - I don't use speed as well in dogfights as I should.

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
Juuust so ya'll know the Erinyes doesn't really have the dps of 8 guns when you consider how linked primaries work, because you have to consider that weapons fire considerably (around half the rate of fire) slower when you link your primaries.
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Linked primaries fire at 2/3 of the speed of a single bank. If both banks have the same number of gunpoints the linked DPS is 1/3 more than that of a single bank.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline CT27

I've started trying the Insane difficulty level. It's amazing the difference in opinion one is forced to develop in regards to slow, heavy fighters like the Herc. The scales have fallen from my eyes.

Ten years ago, playing Fs1 on my potato computer, I loved the Hercules--it was my beloved potato fighter. It was a fighter built to compensate for my terrible computer and horrendous lack of skill. My computer was so terrible, and the difficulty level so low, that I could destroy the fastest enemy fighters with Hornets. "lag-based" pursuit curve, indeed. My glorious potato herc could shrug off an infinite amount of abuse and destroy any enemy as I hurtled myself jerkily into the void of space at 5 frames per second.

Now, today, on my LORD DEATH apocalypse computer with difficulty cranked to insane, the old Herc has become nothing more than a medieval death trap; it is become a cruel mockery of my comforting, youthful memories; it has become a symbol of the passing of time, of unwanted change. Today, in the Herc I cannot avoid enemy fire. My shields are useless. The once-venerable hornet missile is useful only for killing freighters. Although the fall of the potato reflects my positive growth as a person (who can afford actual computers with fancy features like "memory" and "a graphics card"), I nonetheless shed a tear for my false memory of the glorious potato fighter.

**** you, Hercules. Worthless piece of ****.

What do you like nowadays?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The Perseus is probably the best all-around ship in FS2, but per the thread that inspired this one, I just can't say no to my beloved Valkyrie.  Those afterburner banks last for days, which means you can jet across an entire battlefield without even thinking about it.  Of course you're likely to get blown to shreds once something starts shooting at you, but eh, can't win 'em all.  FS2 was sorely lacking a true dedicated interceptor. :(

Offline Vrets

I'm flying with a mouse n' keyboard setup, so I like the insanely maneuverable fighters that I once loathed.

Easiest fighters to fly are the Ulysses and Serapis.

I agree that the Perseus is the best all-rounder, but it is still not quite agile enough to be comfortably flown with only a mouse.

Gotta love the Eyrines.  Having a quad bank of maxims in addition to your main dogfight guns is great.  Bye-Bye cruisers.

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage

I'm flying with a mouse n' keyboard setup, so I like the insanely maneuverable fighters that I once loathed.

Easiest fighters to fly are the Ulysses and Serapis.

I agree that the Perseus is the best all-rounder, but it is still not quite agile enough to be comfortably flown with only a mouse.

When we talk about which fighters we like, this is the real deciding factor in terms of what you can do with such a fighter... as in what kind of control setup are you using. For example, I have a modded X52 setup, so I find things like dodging missiles and evasive manouvers relatively easy, but aiming can be a bit sluggish. Using a mouse and keyboard I imagine that you would find aiming easier and more precise but when it comes to being evasive.. a bit trickier.

As a result, I don't like anything stupid manouverable as aiming becomes stupid hard and too fast for the lead indicator... but at the same time, I don't want anything sluggish when it turns or rolls as the crosshairs can't keep up with the lead indicator. It then becomes tough as to whether I would chose a Perseus or an Erinyes, but I think I would still be leaning towards the Erinyes, just because of the multi-role versatility of being able to take down a cruiser from range with quad Maxims and the power delivered in dogfights from quad kaysers.
I do not feel... I think!