Author Topic: Steam vs GOG?  (Read 1549 times)

I've been checking out old space sims and was interested in this and Freelancer/Starlancer. Wing Commander and Descent might be going back a bit too far for my personal tastes. Moving on, I saw the Steam version is currently on sale however I checked out the discussions in the community hub upon seeing the mixed reviews. However discussion of the game seems erratic so I figured I'd ask about it here given that both users and the pcgamingwiki have referenced hard-light.net

I just wanted to know if the Steam version has ever been updated/fixed or not, and whether or not the GOG installer has similar problems to the Steam version. I'm leaning towards just buying the GOG version given their track record and also to support DRM free PC gaming with my wallet. However, I just want to know if the installation process of the GOG versions is any easier/less of a headache.

Thanks in advance

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
GOG is the easier one to get going. Getting the steam version to work, while not exactly hard by any stretch of the imagination, requires you to run a little script that they ship with the game.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Vrets

Buy from GOG if you want to own the game.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I do my best to buy from GOG whenever possible for the same titles in order to support consumer-friendly practices.  I regret not using them more actually.
I like to stare at the sun.