Author Topic: Freespace Open hates me  (Read 1440 times)

Freespace Open hates me
Three times now I've tried using the FSO automated installer. Each time it's failed. Over half of the files fail to install. I'm using Windows 10 and running the GOG version of Freespace 2. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. If someone could direct me on how to install manually I'd happily oblige, because I just want to play the game.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Freespace Open hates me
The installer writes a log file. In the folder from which you started it, look for a directory named "logs". There should be a file called fsoinstaller.log there; if you could post it here, that would allow us to figure out what went wrong.

That said, manual install guides can be found in each mods' subforum or release thread.

For FSO, look here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=91623.0
For the MediaVPs: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=86475.0

Those two are the most important ones that you should definitely install.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Uploading the entire logs folder (in zip or 7z format) would be even better.  Each mod generates its own log file, and the mods that failed would record what happened.

Also, keep in mind that according to the mirror monitor, three mods are actually offline.

Well now, this is very strange... I reinstalled FS2 and tried the installation again but with only the basic options (so only graphical enhancements, no mods or addons). It appeared to work, but I can't find the launcher for FSO anywhere in my installation folder, even though everything appeared to install correctly and all the files were in their correct spots... just no executable. I get the feeling I'm doing something completely wrong.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
If by "reinstalling FS2" you deleted the entire game directory at any point, then the FSO Installer still thinks your mods are installed.  Go to your profile directory (usually C:\Users\username) and delete fsoinstaller.properties.

Ok, after doing some troubleshooting, I found out the problem wasn't to do with any failed downloads. For some reason, Windows didn't like scptrackir.dll and kept sending me error messages about it which made the game freak out, plus my resolution was set to something insanely high which produced a seizure effect. Looks like I've got everything sorted for the time being. I appreciate the help, though, folks  :) . One quick question, though. I'm actually new to the Freespace series. Do you folks recommend I play the FSO port of the original Freespace campaign, or just play the original itself?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Probably FSPort for the enhanced graphics (turn on the FSPort MediaVPs). Then move on to the main event, FreeSpace 2!