Author Topic: Fury AI on FSport.. What an experience!  (Read 2538 times)

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
Fury AI on FSport.. What an experience!
I just decided to try it because of some words here and there I've read. I managed to find a non-broken link, so I installed it, and I fire the first mission (on insane).

Protect the Orff, the usual "I've heard your new to the Galatea", the first few fighters..

And then the big wave of 5 Anubis, and while I was too busy fighting, the Orff died.

Whaaaaaaat the hell :O

It's the first time I ever see the Orff gets killed in this mission. Oh, and my wingman died too. Even on Insane, I've never seen this happen (unless you choose to do absolutely nothing during the mission, and wait for like 5 minutes). This is glorious, because it really made me go out of the "come on you know this mission, you've been there a thousand times, you can do this eye-closed even on insane", and it really kept me on my toes.

Oh, and did I mention the second mission where I barely escaped at 1% integrity ? :p

Big thanks to Fury for releasing this, even though I'm a bit late to the party  :yes:
No wonder the fights in Blue Planet are so amazing !
(i'm still afraid of The Hammer and the Anvil.. That's one of the toughest mission in Insane, I will most likely suffer a lot with Fury AI. Wish me good luck!)

Maybe one small little thing though if you were to release a more up-to-date version - this AI doesn't behave well with MX-50 missiles, they just dumbfire them until the bank is empty, so they will basically waste all their banks on a single vessel

Offline eicca

Re: Fury AI on FSport.. What an experience!
What is this AI, and how do I find it and use it?

I just entered "freespace fury ai" on Google and found it in under 2 minutes...

Offline eicca

I did the same but didn't really come up with anything that said what it did or how to use it.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
I guess that you need to get the table files and place them into <mod>/data/tables, and then unpack all the missions you want to use the AI with (from proper .vp archive via any vp extractor), open them in FRED, go to Editors -> Mission Specs -> AI Profile and select something... appropiate. Then place the modified mission files into <mod>/data/missions (you can also replace the old mission files in the archive with them). Then just play!
At least I think that it should work like that.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Actually, that's not how the FuryAI pack does it and it's not how anyone should do it unless they've got a lot of time on their hands.
Retail and MediaVPs missions use retail AI classes so all you have to do is overwrite those retail AI classes with appropriate FuryAI classes.

Editing the AI Profiles doesn't do that much, the retail AI Profiles are pretty merciless on insane aside from the weird 20% weapon energy recharge boost. It's the individual AI classes that are dumb and slow and you can overwrite AI Profiles settings with flag overrides on a per-class basis anyway.

And if you really wanted to, you can overwrite the FS2_Retail AI profile so there's absolutely no need to change individual missions to a different profile.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 06:14:19 am by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline eicca

...How does one do that?

Easiest solution: Download the fury AI mod if you can find it, select the retail subfolder as your active mod.

Less easy but not hard solution:
Open up the ai.tbl from Blue Planet. It's in bpc-core.vp/data/tables. Copy the bp specific AI classes to a new ai.tbl file, rename them from BP-xxx to just xxx. You only need Lieutenant, Captain, Major, Colonel, and General.
Then stick this new ai.tbl into the /data/tables folder of whatever mod you want to play, it'll work as long as it uses retail AI classes as these new classes will overwrite the retail ones. You don't have to worry about breaking anything, the original ai.tbl file is still safely within the .vps so if anything doesn't work or you want to remove the new AI just remove your new table from the data/tables folder.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline eicca

Can that method be used to add the more aggressive beam combat from Freespace Blue to the retail stuff/others? I looooooved playing High Noon when the Sathanas resorted to aux beams once the forward cannons were destroyed. So much more epic.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Can that method be used to add the more aggressive beam combat from Freespace Blue to the retail stuff/others? I looooooved playing High Noon when the Sathanas resorted to aux beams once the forward cannons were destroyed. So much more epic.
No, because FreeSpace Blue does that via FREDing. If you want to play FreeSpace Blue... just play FreeSpace Blue.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Freespace Blue also uses retail AI for balancing reasons. There are lots of maras with default loadouts which include trebs, which retail AI can't use. Letting them spam trebs at everyone breaks the balance of the game a bit.

But if you want to, you can use the same solutions I posted previously to enable FuryAI in FSBlue.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 02:47:47 am by FrikgFeek »