Author Topic: Freespace in VR  (Read 4499 times)

Hi,

My first post in this august forum...long time pending...Am essentially a noob..albeit an outrageously ambitious noob :)

My query...

What could be more thrilling..more amazing..more incredible than being immersed playing FS in VR mode..
Is it possible? I thought of mirroring my pc on mobile and using gear and trying...but will it work and be actually 360 dogs display? sorry if my Q is v naive..just desperate to spawn in space!!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
VR in FSO is quite a bit more involved than that. The basic problem is that we currently do not have anyone on the team with the time and hardware required to even start developing this (because if we do, we would have to concentrate on one VR interface only, and the Gear VR is not one of them). The other problem is that, in our estimation, we have to do a lot more work on the engine in order to get it to a performance level that would allow for a comfortable VR experience.

So, sorry, but for the moment, there is no good way to play FS in VR, and we do not have any plans to implement it in the near future.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Thanks for the prompt reply man!

Has anyone been able to create a second view? I basically just need the game to render twice on the same screen, e.g If someone can modify the renderer to render at 960x1080 twice. Laid out like so:  [960x1080][960x1080]. (We'll also need to be able to modify the two projection matrices individually to set FOV and the camera angle) I'm pretty sure I can then hook into the TrackIR support and get full VR working at least on the Sony Headset.
wrong answer you see hiding in that asteroid belt are 6 dralthi fighters, a Kilrathi gangbang. -Devereaux

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Has anyone been able to create a second view? I basically just need the game to render twice on the same screen, e.g If someone can modify the renderer to render at 960x1080 twice. Laid out like so:  [960x1080][960x1080]. (We'll also need to be able to modify the two projection matrices individually to set FOV and the camera angle) I'm pretty sure I can then hook into the TrackIR support and get full VR working at least on the Sony Headset.

FSO is currently not set up to do this. If you hack it in, you will quickly find that our render pipeline is not fast enough to deliver acceptable framerates, or even acceptably consistent framerates, for a comfortable VR experience. There is a lot of groundwork to be done before it is, and that naturally takes priority over a VR implementation (Because, let's face it: A general improvement to the render engine to deliver higher framerates more consistently is useful to everyone using the engine, VR support by itself only benefits those with VR headsets).

What sort of renderer improvements are you guys trying to implement? is it stuff like VBO/Modern GL support to get geometry running as fast as it can? or is it something like a Vulkan rewrite? The playstation VR hardware has a framerate doubler which can boost 60FPS to 120FPS so if your renderer is able to do 60FPS it'll do VR fine.
wrong answer you see hiding in that asteroid belt are 6 dralthi fighters, a Kilrathi gangbang. -Devereaux

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What sort of renderer improvements are you guys trying to implement? is it stuff like VBO/Modern GL support to get geometry running as fast as it can? or is it something like a Vulkan rewrite? The playstation VR hardware has a framerate doubler which can boost 60FPS to 120FPS so if your renderer is able to do 60FPS it'll do VR fine.

It's a whole bunch of things. Support for current OpenGL best practices is our current goal; Vulkan is something that we may do at some point, but it's not a priority for now.

The engine is currently struggling to maintain consistent framerates on scenes that, just according to the overall polygon count and texture detail, should not be an issue for modern PCs.

Offline X3rox

Hi,

you can give Trinus VR a try if you have a Smartphone and a VR Google like a google Cardboard.

http://trinusvr.com/

This used to work with Quake 3 Arena which is also an OpenGL Game.

You don't have a real 3D effect as long as you don't use it with Tridef 3D but at least you have a Split view and some good working headtraking.

EDIT: I just tried it and it with Trinus VR and my Galaxy S6 Phone. It is working really well. The Frame rate is quite good and headtracking with the Phone sensors is working as well.  I tried it with the Star Wars Mod and this was quite immersive:-D
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 08:28:11 am by X3rox »

Hi,

you can give Trinus VR a try if you have a Smartphone and a VR Google like a google Cardboard.

http://trinusvr.com/

This used to work with Quake 3 Arena which is also an OpenGL Game.

You don't have a real 3D effect as long as you don't use it with Tridef 3D but at least you have a Split view and some good working headtraking.

EDIT: I just tried it and it with Trinus VR and my Galaxy S6 Phone. It is working really well. The Frame rate is quite good and headtracking with the Phone sensors is working as well.  I tried it with the Star Wars Mod and this was quite immersive:-D
Thanks for sharing.  I'm unlikely to use this for FreeSpace, but it might work well for some other games that support 3d better.  I have google cardboard lying around somewhere, I'll have to give it a try.

Offline Mpez

X3rox - can you share your trinusvr settings? I'm struggling to get track ir working when using trinusvr, curious to find out how you've set it up for FS