Author Topic: Disable All FSO Effects  (Read 1903 times)

Disable All FSO Effects
I know this might sound weird, but is there any way to disable all the additional graphics features that FSO provides? Basically I am asking if it is possible to run Freespace Open in such a way that the ingame graphics look exactly like vanilla FS2 but with a higher display resolution.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 08:22:07 pm by SamVision »

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Re: Disable All FSO Effects
Yes, you can.

Enable everything that setting have to do with "Disable" (except disable emiissive light) and disable all the other options :).
Maybe the "Default FS2 (All Features off)" Flag set you can select under the Lightning Option is working, but i am not sure about it.

Also play with the "(No Mod)" option, so without MVPs.

Even i have to admit, that the deactivation of all effects was much easier in older version... there you had only to deselect options to deactivate them, so it was easier to explain :D.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 08:36:40 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline m!m

Actually, it is not really possible to achieve the retail FS2 look anymore. Even if you disable all the new features then the rendering engine is still fundamentally different to how retail FS2 worked and looked.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Even i have to admit, that the deactivation of all effects was much easier in older version... there you had only to deselect options to deactivate them, so it was easier to explain :D.

You don't need to disable all the extra map stuff. If the game doesn't provide glowmaps, for example, glowmaps aren't used. Thus, disabling the MediaVPs and playing with retail data only is the best way to recreate the Retail look (although, as m!m noted, you can't ever fully recreate the look).

Also, novachen: The old way of doing this, where every special feature had to be enabled manually, was terrible. Explaining to people that, in order to get the best graphics, they had to download and activate this mod, then add these half dozen flags is bad design. Now, all you need to do is download the exe, install the launcher, install the MVPs and start the game.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Thank you all, I got it to a point where I can be satisfied. The launcher alone wasn't enough to achieve what I wanted. I had to enter these flags as well: "-ogl_spec 0 -spec_tube 0 -spec_static 0 -spec_point 0 -spec_exp 0".

That ... makes a lot of sense, well done.