Author Topic: Shadows Beta 3.1 (18/09/2012)  (Read 20885 times)

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!
Shadows Beta 3.1 (18/09/2012)
Here is the second public Beta of my new shadow implementation. This should work much better than the old Alpha shadows. Few things: First, new cmdline "-shadow_quality" defaults to 2 for now (0 on commit) which means high quality shadows (4096^2 resolution shadow maps) 1 is low quality for gpu's with less VRAM (2048^2) 0 disables shadows. Then, known issues: When a ship blows up or warps the full ship casts a shadow not just the part that is actually visible, you also wont see 2 ship halves from the blowing up on the shadows. I'm working on that for Beta 2. Known Issue: Build doesnt work on XP. Wait for a kind soul to post the newest Beta XP compatible i dont have VS 2010 anymore.
No external Shaders are included because of the new force internal shaders feature.

Also I fully tested the patch on MacOS X Lion if anyone wants to put up a build of that I would be grateful cause I don't want to reboot again to OSX. So anyway as always report any strange occurrence, bugs and also performance. If you have performance problems try setting -shadow_quality 1 and report you graphics card or post a log.

HERE IT IS: http://www.mediafire.com/?in8n57zu3h03vov

Beta 2 Release:
  • Fixed Glowpoints
  • Fixed Clipping
  • Newest Trunk, this goes even faster!
  • Tweaked the Shadow map split distances should look a little better up close
  • Fixed a little Shader compilation problem on new NVIDIA Drivers

Beta 3 Release:
  • Fixed Performance regression because of stupid gpu drivers

Beta 3.1 Release:
  • Updated to latest Trunk
  • Fixed some models not casting shadows
  • Now with delicious Diaspora compatibility

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kedv0fk2kcqyk6p/Shadows_Beta_3_1.7z
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 11:09:14 am by Valathil »
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
Re: Shadows Beta 1 (05/08/2012)
absolutely great...thanks Valathil!
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Chose a mission at random - ended up playing Monster in the Mist, which wasn't a great choice, but I could see my shadow on the Sath if I flew in third person camera mode. Got all the way through scanning stuff, then it crashed to desktop as the success music started to play. Log attached.

[attachment removed and sold on the black market]
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Valathil

Interesting crash there. I looked at the aicode.cpp segment where the int3() occured and basically this cant happen. So yeah...
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃

... this cant happen. So yeah...
Oh this is lovely when stuff like that happens :). The more unreachable the case should be, the better.

I tested the build on bp2 Darkest hour and noticed something odd: I could see my fighter's glowpoints. Other than that, the shadows seem to be working fine so far.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
It caused some issuses with shaders not compiling on old NV drivers, but on the new ones it goes nicely, so I tink it was NV fault.
Also, FPS chart on MX520 and i5 2410[numbers represent preset]:

It is only a little slower than I used to run it[it is obviously Artemis Station] when WIH was first released.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Online Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Is there a  minimum requirement regarding shader support for this? I've got an old GF9800GTX and see no shadows (but I see glowpoints through the ship by the way).
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
GTX9800 has full OpenGL 3.2 support. Try updating drivers and post log if doesn't help.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Valathil

Oh the glowpoints yeah i totally forgot about that. Will be fixed in beta 2

Also Kobrar44 thanks for the graph. So it seems that as expected the full 2nd geometry pass is whats causing the most performance costs and it doesnt really matter if you have high quality or low quality at least on your card.
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Was going to make OS X builds, since my Xcode3 seemed to start working again.  Well, I could not build the Xcode project successfully, and the errors I got are here.  The Xcode4 project built successfully with Xcode 3.2.6, and 4.2.1, but I upgraded the App-Store maintained Xcode to 4.4 last week and it would not build now, because 4.4 does not include the 10.6 SDK.  Symlinking to the one in my 4.2.1 folder allowed 4.4 to build it fine too.  So I think it's something to do with the more backwards compatibility that the old Xcode project tries to maintain.  I will upload the 4.4 builds I suppose, they should still work on 10.6+.  If anything can be done that would fix the errors with the older project, that would be nice.

Before posting this, I thought to try to compile the Xcode project without the patch, and got some errors still, but less than with the patch.  I guess the ones that are in this output can be ignored as not caused by this patch.

The other question is, if the old Xcode project is getting this broken, do we still care?  That would cut out all PPC and 10.4/10.5 support, whatever we still had.

Edit:  After fixing the trunk issues with a suggestion from The_E, I have a pastebin of issues that are only present after applying the patch now, when the Xcode project with Xcode 3.2.6 on Lion.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 01:14:56 pm by chief1983 »
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Valathil

I dont know how much support there was for those old version but clearly the errors that have to do with the patch have to do with the ogl extensions im using. These old mac versions just dont have the support for those things anyway.
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well, in the meantime, here are some nice new Xcode 4.4 builds:

FS2_Open Shadows Beta 1 r9094
md5: eae63d773efe0046a08f458f0e74c678
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Echelon9

Was going to make OS X builds, since my Xcode3 seemed to start working again.  Well, I could not build the Xcode project successfully, and the errors I got are here.  The Xcode4 project built successfully with Xcode 3.2.6, and 4.2.1, but I upgraded the App-Store maintained Xcode to 4.4 last week and it would not build now, because 4.4 does not include the 10.6 SDK.  Symlinking to the one in my 4.2.1 folder allowed 4.4 to build it fine too.  So I think it's something to do with the more backwards compatibility that the old Xcode project tries to maintain.  I will upload the 4.4 builds I suppose, they should still work on 10.6+.  If anything can be done that would fix the errors with the older project, that would be nice.

Before posting this, I thought to try to compile the Xcode project without the patch, and got some errors still, but less than with the patch.  I guess the ones that are in this output can be ignored as not caused by this patch.

The other question is, if the old Xcode project is getting this broken, do we still care?  That would cut out all PPC and 10.4/10.5 support, whatever we still had.

Edit:  After fixing the trunk issues with a suggestion from The_E, I have a pastebin of issues that are only present after applying the patch now, when the Xcode project with Xcode 3.2.6 on Lion.

Xcode 4.4 drops support for the OS X 10.6 SDK. I'd suggest changing the Base SDK setting to either 10.7 or Latest.

Frankly, we should look to whether a continuation of supporting the latest OSX (i.e. 10.8) and the version prior to that (OSX 10.7) makes the best sense.

When I raised this last in the cross-platform forum there wasn't much vocal insistency on ongoing support for a PPC or earlier OS X version.

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Impossible Int3! Awesome, I'll see if I can reproduce it later.

I did notice that shadows aren't real obvious in this version. I sometimes see my own fighter's shadow on something, or a piece of debris showing against the Iceni's hull when it breaks out of its asteroid base, or the rotating prow of the Anuket casting a shadow on the main hull, but it doesn't quite compare to some of the videos from the Alpha where a Herc's fins would cast a shadow across its hull. Is that sort of thing possible using this method? Or does it require too many resources to be practical in general?

EDIT: Unable to reproduce after 2 attempts.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:22:01 pm by Alan Bolte »
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Shadows are working for me on mac (10.6) with the build chief posted, though they certainly devoured my puny video card :)

Only glow maps showed up in the techroom, but everything looks fine in the ship lab.

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Another crash issue, maybe the same: On Vassago's Dirge, on the very first mission when the shivan ship fires its beams.

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I found an oopsie.

Also, shadows inside the cockpit flicker and don't display properly. Instead of a geometry's shadow being displayed the entire cockpit just flickers.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Here's another one, from Slaying Ravana, flying the Boanerges bomber. The two light sources are those glowpoint thingies on the front of the model I think:

edit: lvlshot'd -Chief
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 10:09:50 am by chief1983 »

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
lvlshot tags, god damnit. And it's already been mentioned in this thread.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Well, in the meantime, here are some nice new Xcode 4.4 builds:
*snip*

Xcode 4.4 drops support for the OS X 10.6 SDK. I'd suggest changing the Base SDK setting to either 10.7 or Latest.

Shadows are working for me on mac (10.6) with the build chief posted, though they certainly devoured my puny video card :)
:confused: Contradictory statements.

Frankly, we should look to whether a continuation of supporting the latest OSX (i.e. 10.8) and the version prior to that (OSX 10.7) makes the best sense.
I for one am all for dropping 10.4 and 10.5, but 10.6, I dunno, partly because that's what I'm using at the moment. :D I'd have to reformat my HD to upgrade to 10.7, since I'm using a custom partition table and the Lion installer tinkers with partitions.

EDIT: On rereading, I realize this conversation is pretty off-topic. Maybe it should get split and moved to Cross-Platform Development?