Author Topic: Bug Report Thread.  (Read 45170 times)

I figured it would be nice to have a thread to report bugs from the mod so here it is guys. Anyways so far the mod is great, love the new mechs added in and the campaigns added as well. That being said some things i noticed that probably has alrdy been discussed but here goes, you lose credits with the whole add weight thing if your game crashes, which happens to me alot actually. I dont know if this next bug was talking about in reg MC2 but from time to time my mechs get stuck in a jump command aka continue to boost jump in same place and wont respond. Mechs disappear from purchase screen if game crashes, typically the mech that disappears is the one you are trying to buy but when you start your game up again its not in the purchase screen nor in your current stock. Well thats about all i got for now,ill let others post etc. Regardless fun mod and cant wait for more guys, oh and magic this is mikezim from dropshipcommand.

First of all, well done to the team who've done a so far fantastic effort with this project. You should be very proud of how far you've taken this from the original retail game thus far. Incorperating features from MC1 as well as entirely new ones have created a much more realistic game for players to immerse themselves in.

There are a few bugs i've come across so far of which im sure many if not all have been brought up already.

• Zoom issue - Zooming too quickly or zooming in too far can lead to the game freezing and eventually crashing.

• Jumpjet issue - When commanding a group of mechs to use their jumpjets via waypoints, one of the mechs may enter a jumpjet limbo and simple jump on the spot, normally til fired upon or given an order to attack. (I havent been able to replecate this using only a single mech, it only seems to occur when im commanding a group to jump around).

• Bridge issue - This is mainly a problem playing the exodus campaign. If you destroy an enemy on a bridge, their remains act as a roadblock effectively stopping everything bar flying vehicles or jump capable mechs. (Best place to replecate this is the final mission of Exodus, luring the enemies out of the checkpoint just east of the small city where your allies are/were battling the group of mechs).

• Elite barracks - Mechs can freely walk through these buildings as if they wernt even there. (Encountered this problem during 'Baxters Gambit' mission in Carver 5 campaign.

• Game crash during mission load - seems to happen at random, have also encountered this entering 'mech purchasing, components and once during gameplay.
Error is as follows,
EXCEPTION : Attempt to read from address 0x0E9C5000 in MC2REL! (+0x184155)
Address   : 0x00585155
Location  : MC2REL! (+0x184155)

• AI destroying their own turret generators - At the beginning of a mission (and very rarely during it) enemies will open fire on their own buildings (generators and sometimes turrets). Most easily replicated on Breach : Bandit Headquarters and Mobile Assult : Mt. Cho.

• Mechs vanishing from mission briefing screen - occurs randomly (seems to happen when im clicking too fast for the games liking). Error corrects itself by clicking next to the pilot ready screen then clicking back to the mech screen.

I'll continue to update as I find more, hope you guys continue to keep up the great work. Although im little more than a bug hunter at the moment, i'm looking to teach myself how to use 2D and 3D modeling programs as well as UV mapping. If I get  competant with these, I'd be willing to jon the team providing my work reaches the teams' standards. (I don't wish to take up anyones time in case it turns out I struggle to use the programs, so we'll see where that leads).

The Enemy FF issue has been looked at, and has supposedly been corrected for the next release. Same for the Zooming issue, and a temporary fix has been posted to these forums, though I forget what thread it was.

I did not know about the Barracks or Jumpjet issues, and I just checked them out. I can in fact walk through the Elite Barracks,  but the JJ thing I cant get to repeat terribly often. It only seems to occur when a group of Mechs are jumping near their maximum range, and only happens to the rearmost members of the group, so it may be something like them trying to jump beyond max range. I'll test more later.

I've been lucky so far, and haven't hit any mission or Mechlab crashes, even with extensive customizations,  so cant help you there. Thats also supposed to be fixed soon, though.

EDIT: Lifted from the Release thread.
Solution for zoom in crashes:

Open file system.cfg and change:
f MinPerspective = 10.0   //20.0
and
f MinOrtho = 10.0   //20.0   

back to 20.0.

Thanks for the info about zoom, it seems to have fixed the issue.

Glad to help. Figure any heat I can take off the team just means less time till another release. Besides, its about time someone started a centralized bug report thread. Most of the Alpha bugs have been found, but the info is scattered all over the board, so it can be a pain to find.

Its been a while since Ive had the time to play but I did have some issues with mech loadout.  I generally only keep weapons on the mechs Im using for that mission so I a have very large amount of weapons in my inventory.  Late in a campaign I often have crashes and it appears that it seems to be caused by a limit to the number of unmounted weapons in your inventory(maybe 255 would be my guess).  It happens to me on most campaigns late in the campaign. 

Offline magic

Boundless,

Thank you for playing MCO.

All those bugs are noted and most of them fixed:
- Zoom issue is fixed even for lower values then 20 (its on 15 now),
- Walking through Elite barracks is a bug from MC2 and is noted.
- Jump bug is noted, but it is not critical and has low priority.
- Many bugs fixed in mech and component purchase screens.
- Mechs vanishing from mission briefing screen - fixed.
- Game crushes are mostly result of old memory alloc system in MC2 - changed.
- AI destroying their own turret generators - At the beginning of a mission (and very rarely during it) enemies will open fire on their own buildings (generators and sometimes turrets) - Turret controls, turret generators, watch towers and sensor towers sometimes get destroyed when any unit move to close to them, it is noted.
- About mechs destroyed on the bridge, I plan to fix it by removing all destroyed objects after a period of time after their destruction.

PsychLandlord,

Thank you for your help.

shini028,

I think you are correct about 256 limit in component inventory, noted. Thank you.

Second release is packed and ready to go. :P
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 01:10:30 am by magic »

Not sure if it is a bug or intended but none of the original retail mechs appear in 'mech purchase during solo mission play, could possibly be an error on my part. Not sure.

Also a minor graphic issue. The Lupus mech seems to be missing an arm in its display animation (the image in Encyclopedia, 'mech purchasing, etc). Mech is normal in a mission.

Looking forward to the second release.

Are you sure it's not just that said Mechs have been renamed to their model numbers ? (In the case of IS anyway, Clan Mechs still appear as primes I believe.)

Are you sure it's not just that said Mechs have been renamed to their model numbers ? (In the case of IS anyway, Clan Mechs still appear as primes I believe.)

I checked and rechecked in case I was having a blonde moment and only new or modified mechs are on the list, none of the originals are there. (If it'd help I could s/s every screen in 'mech purchase for more substantial evidence if need be).

Only mechs that I found from the original retail that are on the list are,
• Highlander IIC
• TimberWolf
• Rifleman IIC
• Vulture
• Hunchback IIC
• Hollander II
• Cougar
• Wolfhound IIC
• Urbanmech IIC

All of these have been altered, renamed or remodeled in some way from their originals, the rest just dont seem to exist. I've tried roughly 15 different solo missions (at least 3 from each campaign) and its the same for all of them.

Now that I've had time to check, yeah, a good chunk of the retail Mech's don't seem to be available for purchase, even barring the ones that have been renamed or given Clan designations. I must admit, however, that I'm not complaining. The new options more than make up for it. :D

Either way, if it is a bug, the team knows about it now. I'm willing to bet it was a design decision though.

Offline magic

Boundless, you are correct.

Those mechs were deleted from purchase files because in old MC2 mech purchase (unlimited at all), the list box was full with mech variants for every mech. The list is limited to 256.

So I had to remove some (retail) in order to see all my mechs in solo purchase, for testing.

Situation is different now. We have around 150 mechs in game and there is a place for retail mechs.
Only one mech variant will show in purchase.

If you want them, go to data/missions folder and edit purchase.fit, add any mech you want to the end of mechs purchase list.

Timberwolf, cougar and vulture (MW4 model) are also my designs. I didnt like the retail models.
Original models are still there as Madcat, Maddog and cougar1.

Well wasn't sure about it so thought i'd bring it up.

A little off topic but, good call on the new models of the Timberwolf, Vulture and Cougar. They look much better compared to the retail versions.
Also when it comes to mech purchasing would be it easier to just have the prime variant of each mech in there then maybe tweak the customise screen to have the other variants possibly? (ive got no idea how hard that would be to program something like that).

Offline magic

I am building new logistics for mechs, with mechlab like in MW4 (weapon hardpoints for mechs). It will not be the same as mw4.

Purchase creation screen will be added to editor when designer can add mechs with specific variants, weapons and pilots.
For each added mech designer must choose variant and quantity available.

We need someone with c++ coding experience to do that:

- One window

(Left side of the window)
- First row
First field on the left side - combo with list of mech names, right to that field another combo with variant list for selected mech (like on the screen when you dbl click on mech in editor), right to that field another and the last in this row quantity (default value 1). And the last in the row will be button ADD.

- Second row
First field is combo with the list of weapon names, right to that field quantity field (default value 1), button ADD.

- Third row
First field is combo with available pilot names, field quantity (default value 1), button ADD.

(Right side of the window)

One big window or field... A text editor (like notepad) with actual text file mission_name_purchase.fit opened for editing.

By clicking on ADD button for mechs program should write 3 lines in .FIT file:
- mach name
- variant name
- quantity

Example:
Code: [Select]
[Mechs]

[MechPurchase0]
st Chassis = "data\objects\assassin.csv"
st Variant = "Assassin 1"
l Quantity = 1

[MechPurchase1]
st Chassis = "data\objects\firestarter.csv"
st Variant = "Firestarter FS9-H"
l Quantity = 1

(those lines will be required for every mech, if variant name and quantity are missing, the game will display first variant and quantity 1)

By clicking on ADD button for weapons 2 lines should be written in .FIT file:
- Weapon number
- quantity (if no quantity line then default is 1).

Example:
[Components]

l PComponent0 = 7
l PComponent0Quantity = 1
l PComponent1 = 10
l PComponent1Quantity = 1
l PComponent2 = 100
l PComponent2Quantity = 3

By clicking on ADD button for pilots 1 line should be written in .FIT file:
- pilot file name (the same as current purchase)

Example:
[Pilots]

st Pilot0 = "pmp_Chopper"
st Pilot1 = "pmp_Claymore"
st Pilot2 = "pmp_Creep"

We need someone to help with this.
I am the only coder so far and to do list is extremely big.

Wish I was computer literate and knew some sort of coding..

If you play Defensive Counter : Base Aries mission in the Carver 5 campaign and watch the trees being leveled during the 3rd wave on the far left side you'll see the Zhukov is knocking down trees as if it were the size of a MODL.
I think this might have some part in the AI destroying their own allied base objects. I havent got to it yet but i'm about to check what type of tanks are at Vongs HQ in Breach:Bandit HQ to try and narrow down what type(s) of tank are causing this, if it is indeed the problem.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Hm, sounds like the boundary boxes for the vessel are set to big. I put this on onto our todo-list. Thanks for reporting.
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

There is indeed another Zhukov at Vong's base in Breach:Bandit HQ, so a boundary issue could be the cause.

Another bug I encountered was doing a solo mission to recheck a bug i'll mention after this. I went into a solo mission on the level mentioned above, purchased 3 mechs, went in to try and replecate the bug but couldnt, aborted the mission and went back to doing the campaign. (Was only at Gulag, not sure it thats part of it or not).
But from doing that I was able to access almost all the mechs in the 'mech purchasing tab. I was able to buy any of them I wanted provided I had the C-bills, providing that they wernt the mechs I bought for the solo run and that they simply wernt on the list at all. To check I bought 1 mech from each weight class, used 2 of them during the mission to see if they would cause a crash or something, but the game simply lets you keep the mechs.
(Mad Cat MkIII should be retweaked IMO, its far too powerful a mech for its weight class with greater heat limits and 3 weapon slots more than any other medium mech i've played on. I'd go as far as to say it could easily out perform most heavy mechs).

And finally during Breach:Bandit HQ also I had 3 enemies (1 commando and 2 swarm LRMs) go totally invisible to both sight and radar. The only way you could tell they were there were the weapons being fired at you. This happened around the small town in the west, just north of the other town with the RP building in it. I'm not sure how I triggered this the first time (was in campaign) but so far I havent been able to replecate this yet.
(I went for the fuel tanks first, then for Vong, then the HQ, then back towards the starting point to claim the RP buildings from memory. After that I sent 1 mech north to capture the turrets and thats when I got ambushed by those 3 enemies).

Edit:
Also before I forget again, when playing on an unspecified resolution the mission loading screen is enlarged to the point where roughly only 1/4 of it shows.

And there is no jumpjet flame in the Mad Cat MkIII jump animation.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 12:24:52 am by Boundless »

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
Invisible units have been an on and off thing since retail. You can often temporarily fix it in Campaign by doing a Quick Save and Quick Load, as that seems to sort of 'refresh' everything. Sometimes just LOS/visual detection for a Mech stops working, sometimes it's just the sensor detection, sometimes both, and once it starts happening, it usually gets worse as you go along. It's more obvious when you have isolated 'Mechs, as sometimes the LOS of other Mechs will pick up the slack, and thus you never notice that one Mech can't see units by itself anymore.

Possibly related: The northernmost sensor tower's sensor circle in Reacquisition: Base Gemini frequently disappears as you progress along the mission, though it may continue giving sensor data.

I seem to recall using a Minelayer in the mission where you take out the Liao chemical plant(using it to fill out the scattered minefield; I used to love letting the Catapults kill themselves by dragging them back through the minefield; also, it generally guaranteed they'd be salvageable) would often seem to cause the rest of the units to go invisible to my scout/sensor 'Mech.

I also noticed that pilot voices would often stop playing when I salvaged a lot of 'Mechs in a mission(if it's a memory issue or something similar, it could be related).

I used to suspect it might connected to having too many units visible/active at a time(dead unit hulks, salvaged Mechs and possibly mines), or perhaps leaving the game running for too long. Though I also used to partially blame my old computer, but it's since happened on my current computer.

As a separate mention, a couple of possibly other minor things I noticed specific to the current version: The voice announcing the arrival of the repair truck no longer ever plays, and when a repair truck is depleted, it no longer automatically 'dies', though it still can't do anything except move around.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Thanks guys, I move this forward. The fact that units are dissapearing, could be related to the fact that we changed render distance for performance or it's releated to memory handling, maybe even user specific. How close where you to them Boundless ?

Issue about loading screen noted. GUI will be replaced anyway somewhere in the future. I hate it, that it's still so lowres anyway :)

Mech purchasing is bugged, we know. Sorry for that. That is also connected to new logistics, which needs to be done first. Looks like the correct purchase file is not loaded in certain circumstances.

and when a repair truck is depleted, it no longer automatically 'dies', though it still can't do anything except move around.

Not a bug, it's actually a feature :) It's a first step of a new function  :D

BTW, Boundless. Please do me a personal favour and change your font colour. It makes it a little hard to read tbh :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 04:22:14 am by Starman01 »
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

If I was any closer to the commando and swarms I'd have been standing directly on them. All I could do was wait for them to fire at me and have my pilot retaliate when they did so.

Sorry bout the font colour also, favourite colour. Should've said something earlier and I would've stopped using it sooner.