Author Topic: FSPort 3.4 Discussion!  (Read 33271 times)

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
Re: FSPort 3.4 Discussion!
I see, that does make sense :p
Thanks for the explanation.
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline Genoism

• WIP FS3
any chance we could get the remixes pieces as mp3's in a zip or something :D
After much debate I decided quotes are a waste of time.

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
After having played the last version of FSPort to the point where I am a Commodore (yes, I know Admirals, I'm not as good as you), I can tell you something that was not supposed to normally happen happened.

Small Deadly Space on Medium - somehow Alpha 2 gets incompetent to the point where she only gets 1% HP because she gets hit with a lot of asteroids early on and dies by those Shivan bombers, and the Galatea warping out loses about 10% HP jumping through subspace because it hits a bunch of asteroids on its way out.

Should I replay the mission and post my FS2_Open log, or should I scrap my FSPort career file and start from scratch?

I am loving the new music though. Time to dust off the Red Apollo and try that again.
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
The Ma'at was not in the FSPort-MediaVPs pack because it's also in FS2, so it's upgrade would go in the main MediaVPs. The only ships I know of that were important enough to bypass that formality were the Typhon and the Hades for obvious reasons.
Wasn't FSPort mediavps supposed to become independent from FS2's mediavps?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Wait what.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Should I replay the mission and post my FS2_Open log, or should I scrap my FSPort career file and start from scratch?
Why not just keep playing?

Unless it's a severe problem, indicating a bug, just chalk it up to differences between the FS1 engine and the FSO engine. 

No.  Where did you get this idea?

Offline -Norbert-

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why #scan variants of the Hades, Lucifer and Demon turn faster than their regular counterparts in the techroom?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:00:08 pm by -Norbert- »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
No.  Where did you get this idea?
I believe it was mixael who commented long time ago it would be beneficial if FSPort mediavps stopped depending on FS2 mediavps. Or someone else did. Someone did though.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I've suggest many, many ways that FSPort would benefit from changing it's current structure... That likely was one of them. I've been turned down every time though.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Out of curiosity, does anyone know why #scan variants of the Hades, Lucifer and Demon turn faster than their regular counterparts in the techroom?
They're corvettes.  The #scan variants use the corvette class because it allows you to scan the entire ship rather than individual subsystems.

Offline iVoid

Congrats guys! I had some time to play today, and I only have one question: who worked on the Scorpion and Shaitan? They did a pretty damn good job on the models.
I installed the update and went to the tech room to check out those models but didn't notice any difference at all... Could you please post some screens of those ships for comparison? Maybe there's something wrong with my install.

Offline Arpit

Played it. It was awesome. :nod:

Loved all the new HTL models (Scorpion, Shaitan, Bast) and especially Dan Wentz's music. :D

Just out of curiousity, I would like to ask :

I feel like the new debriefing success music seems to be much like the improved version of demo version. Is this true ? (I might be wrong)

The FS1 credits music still sounds the same. Did it improve ?

Anyways, I experienced no problems until the mission Evangelist.

In the mission Evangelist, the mission crashes within some seconds after startup.
Played it on debug and I get the following error:
Code: [Select]
Assert: team != -1
File: object.cpp
Line: 1864

fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG.exe! SCP_DumpStack + 344 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG.exe! WinAssert + 194 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG.exe! obj_team + 450 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG.exe! num_ships_attacking + 57 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG.exe! guard_object_was_hit + 837 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG.exe! maybe_update_guard_object + 189 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG.exe! ai_ship_hit + 1461 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG.exe! ship_apply_local_damage + 348 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG.exe! ship_weapon_do_hit_stuff + 400 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG.exe! ship_weapon_check_collision + 1877 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG.exe! collide_ship_weapon + 351 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG.exe! obj_collide_pair + 2327 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG.exe! obj_find_overlap_colliders + 417 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG.exe! obj_sort_and_collide + 288 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG.exe! obj_move_all + 1076 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG.exe! game_simulation_frame + 1115 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG.exe! game_frame + 471 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG.exe! game_do_frame + 239 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG.exe! game_do_state + 379 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG.exe! gameseq_process_events + 237 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG.exe! game_main + 782 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG.exe! WinMain + 330 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG.exe! __tmainCRTStartup + 358 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG.exe! WinMainCRTStartup + 15 bytes
kernel32.dll! BaseThreadInitThunk + 18 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 99 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 54 bytes

I have also attached the debug log below.

Congrats guys! I had some time to play today, and I only have one question: who worked on the Scorpion and Shaitan? They did a pretty damn good job on the models.
I installed the update and went to the tech room to check out those models but didn't notice any difference at all... Could you please post some screens of those ships for comparison? Maybe there's something wrong with my install.

Here you go.

Shaitan

Scorpion

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline iVoid

Thanks a bunch! Yeah, it seems there is nothing wrong with my install, now that I compared to the older models there's definitly a huge difference. Congrats to the team.

• Dan Wentz's remixed FS1 soundtrack ;7
... I admit, I am tempted to set up FSO on my rig because of this. And this alone.

I am highly curious as to why one would not set up FSO on their rig.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Because one doesn't play FSO anymore? There are people like us, who did play FSO plenty enough and have moved on.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
FSO mods are a huge HDD space eater, that's one good enough reason to clean it up when you're not playing it enough.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
First things first, thank you for the release  :yes: !

Is it possible to have an history of the modifications of the files ? I redownloaded "stu_fs1.vp" just now to check if the problem with the "brief 2_5_c" sound file was fixed (and it is), but an history will be pretty useful to have.
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
FSO mods are a huge HDD space eater.
O rly
Try installing TERA, damn thing eats almost 50GB HDD space. And it's just one game. Luckily I spent about an hour in it and uninstalled with haste.

Offline Yarn

I feel like the new debriefing success music seems to be much like the improved version of demo version. Is this true ? (I might be wrong)
If by "improved version of demo version" you mean debrief01 from this pack, then the answer is "yes."

The FS1 credits music still sounds the same. Did it improve ?
Dan apparently never remixed this one. The FSPort MediaVPs music pack does include the version that he gave us, which is slightly different from the one used in the original game.

In the mission Evangelist, the mission crashes within some seconds after startup.
Played it on debug and I get the following error:

I have also attached the debug log below.
That mission appears to work fine for me, so it's most likely something on your end. Let's take a look at your log:

-bloom_intensity 200-ambient_factor 5
That can't be doing anything good. Check your command line and make sure that there is a space between "-bloom_intensity 200" and "-ambient_factor 5".

Found root pack 'C:\Users\Arpit\Saved Games\Freespace 2\fsport\stu_fs1.vp' with a checksum of 0x72221202
This isn't related to your problem, but I highly recommend redownloading this file because your version contains a corrupted file (I think).

Found root pack 'C:\Users\Arpit\Saved Games\Freespace 2\mediavps_3612\fs2_primaries.vp' with a checksum of 0xbfadf6e9
Found root pack 'C:\Users\Arpit\Saved Games\Freespace 2\mediavps_3612\MV_Advanced.vp' with a checksum of 0x4b8b0f5a
Found root pack 'C:\Users\Arpit\Saved Games\Freespace 2\mediavps_3612\MV_AnimGlows.vp' with a checksum of 0x6a554026
Found root pack 'C:\Users\Arpit\Saved Games\Freespace 2\mediavps_3612\MV_Assets.vp' with a checksum of 0x529cc70f
Found root pack 'C:\Users\Arpit\Saved Games\Freespace 2\mediavps_3612\MV_Effects.vp' with a checksum of 0xb9a9a485
Found root pack 'C:\Users\Arpit\Saved Games\Freespace 2\mediavps_3612\MV_RadarIcons.vp' with a checksum of 0x31dd7781
Found root pack 'C:\Users\Arpit\Saved Games\Freespace 2\mediavps_3612\MV_Root.vp' with a checksum of 0x6ffd5c78
Found root pack 'C:\Users\Arpit\Saved Games\Freespace 2\mediavps_3612\Rak_Ultra.vp' with a checksum of 0x0ccbbc15
Found root pack 'C:\Users\Arpit\Saved Games\Freespace 2\mediavps_3612\sathanas_bobbtmann_4096.vp' with a checksum of 0x8e4dc333
Found root pack 'C:\Users\Arpit\Saved Games\Freespace 2\mediavps_3612\SobekMod-FTW.vp' with a checksum of 0xcadfbfeb
You're missing the update files! Go to the MediaVPs release thread and get the update files.

If none of that solves your problem, move or delete all the VP files in your mediavps_3612 folder that don't begin with "MV_".

If that doesn't work, move or delete all "data" folders in your mediavps_3612, fsport, and fsport-mediavps folders.

If the mission still crashes, move your FSO installation to a shorter directory, like "C:\Games\FreeSpace2". Long directories like that are known to cause problems.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline -Norbert-

FSO mods are a huge HDD space eater.
O rly
Try installing TERA, damn thing eats almost 50GB HDD space. And it's just one game. Luckily I spent about an hour in it and uninstalled with haste.
I don't think FSO mods are that big by todays standards.
My FS2 folder, including MediaVPs and !!more than 20 mods!! has ~20 GB.

Here are a few sizes of commercial games for comparison:
The Witcher 2: 18.2 GB
Guild Wars 2: 18.4 GB
StarCraft 2 (plus HotS) 16 GB
Sacred 2 + Addon: 21.2 GB

I think I got way more enjoyment and playtime out of my 20 GB of FSO mods than of any of the similarly sized commercial products.