Author Topic: Couple of ideas on how to work with Media VP  (Read 1305 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Couple of ideas on how to work with Media VP
Just had a bit of an idea but unsure where to place it so dumping it here for the time being.

Basically whenever a new version of the Media VPs releases Mod.ini files need to be updated for each mod to use them.  I know at one point media vps were all released under on folder name but this lacks flexibility so I just had a though on a few small changes to the Mod.ini format and a launcher option that would provide a much more flexible way to handle things.

First change, in the Mod.ini a true/false flag to use the Media VPs in the first place. this allows mod creators to determine if they want the mod to use the media VPs or not for some reason.

Second an option in the launcher for the user to set a default Media VPs folder to be used when running FS.  this then causes the launcher to read for the mod.ini flag, if set to true/yes then it adds the mod tag for that MVP version.  if the line is absent or set to false then it defaults to current behavior.  this launcher option would probably want to be toggleable for player/mod development/testing preferences
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Couple of ideas on how to work with Media VP
Back when the mediavps went from "mediavps" to "mediavps_3612" I investigated the possibility of the source code dynamically loading the correct mediavp name, from a list of most-current to least-current.  Turns out that it's harder than you would think.  The cfile system is designed to load all available files and then go looking for data, not arbitrarily load VP 1 and not VP 2, let alone distinguish them based on name.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Thats why im unsure where to put this as its more of a wxLauncher feature
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline m!m

I would really like to see a fully working package system with support for specifying dependencies to any other mod (like Blue Planet 2 requires Blue Planet 1 which requires the MediaVPs).
The launcher could then handle downloading and installing the mods and at the same time correctly setup the -mod option.