Author Topic: Alternate Orion?  (Read 5409 times)

Offline Raptor

Due to very recent upgrade of PC, I've done some more work on that alternate Orion I started ages ago, if you recall...

Just to recap, this Orion was intended to be a high-poly version, which did not go mad with the extrustions like Bob's did.  It also was one that was balanced from a centre-of-mass point of view.

Bear in mind that this is still a WIP, hence no texture:
http://img48.imageshack.us/my.php?image=orion056zd.jpg

Still need to sort out the sensor booms, the aft-keel area, the rest of the turrets...
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Offline HotShot

hell yea

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Nice...

I didn't kow Bob's HTL Orion had a "broken" center-of-mass. then again, I never used it (I use my own HTL Orion).
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
It doesn't.  Bob's Orion is as close to a perfect match to the original Orion as you're going to get in terms of volume placement so any "center of mass" issues would stem from the original model.  Now the Orion does have its engines centered behind the primary hull (not the fighterbay) so that may be what's being refered to.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I personally would rather see the efforts being put towards another model that hasn't already gone through 5 iterations. But whatever.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline bfobar

It's a good job, but after bob's crazily overgreebled orion, I will love no other.

Offline Raptor

Yea, the original Orion also had it's engines out of line with the centre of mass...

I'm struggling to think of things to do with this.  On the one hand it still feels a little under detailed, but I don't want to lose that essitally 'solid block of armourness' that the original had (and which Bob's dosn't, IMHO)

A little more work on the keel.

And I have to restrain myself from completely redoing the turret set up!  16 turrets on a 2km warship :wtf: It should have at least 3 dozen...

Ideas, comments, 'people willing to take over' (Someone will need to when it comes time to texture this.  I can samll stuff (like turrets) and model, but large scale full ship texturing... fancy working your magic again GalEmp?) would be welcome.
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Waste of good talent on this #456245645 Orion.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Waste of good post #154315256.

Bob's Orion destroyed the "armored box" feel of the ship, and with it the Orion's image of power and durablity. Yet on this one I honestly don't see a really noticeable difference from the original.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I don't see any difference in this Orion besides the turrets, but good work anyways. :yes:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI

Bob's Orion destroyed the "armored box" feel of the ship, and with it the Orion's image of power and durablity. Yet on this one I honestly don't see a really noticeable difference from the original.

Completely insignificant and subject proof to lunacy I might add.

Offline Raptor

I don't see any difference in this Orion besides the turrets, but good work anyways. :yes:

I don't know if I sould be pleased or insulted about that... no offence intended.  On the one hand it has that 'Armoured' feel of the :v: Orion which is what I was after, but people can't seem to see the work I've put in...

It's true I used the original as my guide, and I matched the first run of the armour plating to it pretty closly...

Time for comparison pics:

I am willing to consider this a 'Varient' Orion, one produced after the Great War when the GTVA began to refit Orions to handle beams and the larger strike crafft (*cough*Ursa*cough*), and therefore needed the extra internal volume...

Offline Descenter

• Gamers Rule, but so do Thoes Who Make Them
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Doesn't seem like alot of differences to me.  Of course I might be looking at it wrong too.
"War is like playing a game of chess.  You move units on a field, and stratiegically try to weaken the opposing force, a sort of... elequent ballet.  Sure you might lose a few units,.... but, at times, it all part of the plan..."

"Most of the human race really don't give a damn.  Well I do, and I try to do something about it by giving a damn."

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
It's the top view that gives the changes away.  To compensate for the volume of the fighterbay, a good portion of the other side of the ship has been pulled out.  Otherwise, it's very similar (to a fault, perhaps) but destroying the massive asymmetry of the Orion is never something I like to see.  The attempt is all well and good, but that major a change makes it not-an-Orion IMHO.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Yeah... shouldn't have moved the longest box to the center. It looks wrong. And I don't even like the orion.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Raptor

Soo... discontinue?

I was already going to need help getting this in game.  If no one wants this...  :sigh:

I'll have a look at crudely texturing it (Ie simple cubic projection + tile maps)

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Nobody wants it. Go do something with meaning. You have the skills for it obviously.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Let me put it this way Raptor: it's too un-Orion-like to be a replacement Orion (besides the fact that Bob's super-greebled one has fairly wide community acceptance) and the FSU mission doesn't include alternate variants.  It's technically very good though it misses some of the beauty of the Orion design IMHO, but it's just not worth your time and talent to make as it's highly unlikely that anyone will use it.