Author Topic: Big Bang and Evolution Legit  (Read 15617 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Big Bang and Evolution Legit
Third, I must respectfully disagree with your frequently repeated claim that belief in a God hinders science. I love science. The statements "God made the world" and "We should learn everything we can about the world He made", far from being contradictory, are mutually supportive. And the claim that Theists are somehow opposed to medical treatment of all things is outrageous to the point of not requiring refutation. (For the sake of moderation I'll avoid the birth control question you raise.)

Please read what Herra wrote carefully. The examples he cites of people foregoing medical treatment due to faith in God's plan are all documented. People HAVE made these decisions, that you personally wouldn't doesn't make those statements untrue.

Whether or not you agree with Herra's general point, that blind faith creates problems, is up to you. But please do not open a new front in the War on Straw in this thread.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

Gnostic in the sense of not being agnostic, that is, being certain there is a God. I think that's what Herra meant. However, this is confusing because "Gnosticism" has another quite different historical meaning, soooooooo......

Okay, but how is Gnostic in that sense different from Theist?

There is a difference between having faith and knowing. The former implies lack of knowledge, but nevertheless you "trust". The latter implies simple direct knowledge. I have faith that God exists vs I just know God exists.

Both can be theistic. Conversely, both can also be atheistic: I believe God does not exist vs I know for absolute certainty that God does not exist. Gnosticism implies a certain direct link between yourself and the universe, a kind of Gnostic epiphany that doesn't just makes you certain of things, but directly connected with the Truth of the universe. In a way. It gets complicated once the actual Gnostic heretical movement is brought into the conversation...

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Gnostic in the sense of not being agnostic, that is, being certain there is a God. I think that's what Herra meant. However, this is confusing because "Gnosticism" has another quite different historical meaning, soooooooo......

Okay, but how is Gnostic in that sense different from Theist?

There is a difference between having faith and knowing. The former implies lack of knowledge, but nevertheless you "trust". The latter implies simple direct knowledge. I have faith that God exists vs I just know God exists.

Both can be theistic. Conversely, both can also be atheistic: I believe God does not exist vs I know for absolute certainty that God does not exist. Gnosticism implies a certain direct link between yourself and the universe, a kind of Gnostic epiphany that doesn't just makes you certain of things, but directly connected with the Truth of the universe. In a way. It gets complicated once the actual Gnostic heretical movement is brought into the conversation...

I don't completely understand the underlined part, but otherwise, if Gnostic is defined that way, okay, I'm Gnostic.

@The_E: I'd be interested to see the documentation in question. To avoid Straw War, I'll make a more specific point: that no major theistic religion opposes seeking medical care.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
@The_E: I'd be interested to see the documentation in question. To avoid Straw War, I'll make a more specific point: that no major theistic religion opposes seeking medical care.

You're still strawmanning. Herra never claimed that there was a major religion that actively opposed medical care, all he said was that throughout history, people have decided not to seek it because they had complete faith that their God would help them if they were pious enough. Faith healing is a thing. So are prohibitions against specific medical practices (like, for example, blood transfusions).

Offline Luis Dias

Well, if you are a christian, especially if you are a Catholic, you are most probably not a Gnostic per se... or at least you shouldn't be :D. As I said, it's "complicated". Read about Gnosticism, perhaps start in Wikipedia, it has a good primer on it. Catholics reach God through the church, not through any particular sophisticated philosophical "gnosis"... but well, everyone has their own walk of life.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
The problem is that although in reality this just means that God's relevance to real world is infinitesimally small, religions like Christianity craft an imaginary world where God's relevance is supposedly everything. Cleverly, this construct is fashioned in a way that is beyond scientific method and objective reasoning, typically proposing things like continued existence of self after physical death, and more importantly how said afterlife will turn up based on what you believed when you were alive.

But is that a problem?

Ultimately, I don't care what people believe beyond what we can establish using evidence (and so long as their non-evidence-based views, like those on morality, aren't used as a justification to invade my life; witness rationalism and my classical liberal streak collide).  If religious or spiritual views don't actually contradict methodologically-sound established scientific data, then they are factually harmless.  Now, obviously some religions contain some problematic behavioural and moral tenets, but that's not within the purview of science to deal with.

This is why, as I was saying earlier, I don't think science and religion are mutually exclusive by any stretch.  I have a problem with religion when its used as a shield to avoid evidence-based facts - people like Young Earth Creationists, the idea that human "life" (consciousness) begins at conception, the idea that you can treat cancer with prayer, etc.  I see no harm in someone who accepts evidence-based information, yet simultaneously holds spiritual views that don't contradict them (qualified as stated in the paragraph above, of course).

Science can never prove whether or not deities, afterlives, reincarnation, etc exist.  Those constructs are well outside of the realm testable by the scientific method.  So if we truly embrace scientific rationalism, why in blazes do we care what people think about those things?

Things like the FSM are not just means to rationally-critique religion, they are a cautionary example for rationalists as well not to step beyond the bounds of science into philosophy without acknowledging that you're leaving evidence-based understanding behind and resorting to logic and extrapolation.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:57:17 am by MP-Ryan »
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Well, if you are a christian, especially if you are a Catholic, you are most probably not a Gnostic per se... or at least you shouldn't be :D. As I said, it's "complicated". Read about Gnosticism, perhaps start in Wikipedia, it has a good primer on it. Catholics reach God through the church, not through any particular sophisticated philosophical "gnosis"... but well, everyone has their own walk of life.

Arg. For the sake of the discussion I'm just gonna throw out the term "Gnostic". My familiarity with the term is in relation to the Gnostic religious movement, and when I try and use your definition I miss the point :P

@E: If that's the case, then Herra is pretty much argueing against a sort of blind and unreasonable Faith that has nothing to do with me.

EDIT: @MP: I agree with the vast majority of what you just said, but I have to dispute one point: the statement about consciousness and human life. I think you misunderstand the view; the pro-life movement doesn't argue "unborn babies are conscious" but "just because they're not conscious doesn't mean they don't have a right to live." It's not an exclusively religious view either; I'm active in the pro-life movement, and religion is not my reason for it. I simply don't think being unconscious effects a person's moral standing.

I'm leery of going too deep into the issue cause it tends to set off people's tempers.

Oh, and for the record, I think you should pray for a cure if you have cancer. I don't think that that means you shouldn't seek scientific medical care.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 11:42:17 am by InsaneBaron »
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The problem is that although in reality this just means that God's relevance to real world is infinitesimally small, religions like Christianity craft an imaginary world where God's relevance is supposedly everything. Cleverly, this construct is fashioned in a way that is beyond scientific method and objective reasoning, typically proposing things like continued existence of self after physical death, and more importantly how said afterlife will turn up based on what you believed when you were alive.

But is that a problem?

Ultimately, I don't care what people believe beyond what we can establish using evidence (and so long as their non-evidence-based views, like those on morality, aren't used as a justification to invade my life; witness rationalism and my classical liberal streak collide).  If religious or spiritual views don't actually contradict methodologically-sound established scientific data, then they are factually harmless.  Now, obviously some religions contain some problematic behavioural and moral tenets, but that's not within the purview of science to deal with.

This is why, as I was saying earlier, I don't think science and religion are mutually exclusive by any stretch.  I have a problem with religion when its used as a shield to avoid evidence-based facts - people like Young Earth Creationists, the idea that human "life" (consciousness) begins at conception, the idea that you can treat cancer with prayer, etc.  I see no harm in someone who accepts evidence-based information, yet simultaneously holds spiritual views that don't contradict them (qualified as stated in the paragraph above, of course).

Science can never prove whether or not deities, afterlives, reincarnation, etc exist.  Those constructs are well outside of the realm testable by the scientific method.  So if we truly embrace scientific rationalism, why in blazes do we care what people think about those things?

Things like the FSM are not just means to rationally-critique religion, they are a cautionary example for rationalists as well not to step beyond the bounds of science into philosophy without acknowledging that you're leaving evidence-based understanding behind and resorting to logic and extrapolation.

This rather closely aligns with my viewpoint on the subject, with one singular (significant) exception.  As personally objectionable as I find it, and as much as all of us know that something like the Young Earth creation myth is wrong, it is no one's responsibility nor right to attempt to force a change to that viewpoint.  You can argue all day long, and if at the end of the day the person you're trying to convince remains steadfast in that belief then there's simply nothing doing. 

That's not to say you have to suffer it as fact in your own mind, or should have to allow those questionable/objectionable beliefs spread as fact.  It's as much your right to not have to hear about it as it is someone else's right to believe it.  The point of the matter, however, is that belief cannot be forced.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
-snip-

I included YECs as harmful manifestations because they often try to influence public policy to align with their belief sets.  Issues like climate change, science policy, history, biology, and the education on these topics are targets for many YECs, so I don't have as much of a live-and-let-live mindset toward them.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I disagree, in the interest of not immediately painting with a negative brush any YEC that isn't politically active (and doesn't want to particularly push their beliefs on anyone else).  That a particular way of thinking has a vocal minority of close-minded individuals is hardly unique among belief systems, and I think it's a bit unfair to paint the entire group thanks to those supremely unhelpful individuals or smaller groups.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
I disagree, in the interest of not immediately painting with a negative brush any YEC that isn't politically active (and doesn't want to particularly push their beliefs on anyone else).

Maybe depends on what you mean by "particularly", but how can there be any? How can someone believe in YEC, see the opposite belief pushed on innocent children in schools (for example), and then be indifferent towards that and not particularly care whether it's the truth or lies which prevail? If you don't care, then it's not much of a belief.

Applies to most other beliefs too, of course.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Three things. First, the basic questions "Does God exist?" "Is there life after death?" "Where does morality come from?" are, I would argue, extremely important questions to answer. If there is a good God I ought to be worshipping Him and following His commands- and making an effort to figure out where those commands are to be found. If there's life after death I better be getting ready for it.

Before asking the question "does God exist" you should first define what God means in the first place.

Before asking the second question you should define what "life" means. After you've defined what "life" is, you can then define "death" as cessation of life.

I'm assuming in this context you mean specifically whether human consciousness or parts of it continue existing after the nervous system shuts down and dies.

And, respectfully, I think asking "where does morality come from" is sort of begging the question that it must "come" from somewhere, as opposed to simply being a beneficial trait and a result of natural selection working on a population of social animals.

Second, how does taking a reason-based approach make me a Gnostic?

Gnosticism is - in a nutshell - a world view that divides the universe into two parts: The lower world of Demiurge, and the higher world of God. You might call them "material" and "immaterial"; "Mundane" and "Divine"; or "Natural" and "Supernatural", if you will.

In gnosticism, not only is it certain that the supernatural exists, it also states that the material world is of less importance than the spiritual world. Therefore, material world is to be shunned in favour of gaining knowledge and understanding (gnosis)of the spiritual world. Several ancient religions that are classified as Gnostic religions outlined various way of achieving this end, aiming towards "oneness with God".

What exactly does that knowledge contain is less clear and varies between different Gnostic religions.

Your statement that the aforementioned questions of God's existence are the most important questions to answer in your life would seem to qualify you as a gnostic of some level, at least in my assessment.

The fact that you are also a theist has little to do with you being gnostic. Theism is simply a view that at least one God (undefined) exists. But being a theist does not necessarily mean one is also a gnostic. I can conceivably imagine a world view where one believes a god exists, but doesn't necessarily value the spiritual world over material.

I'm a Christian.

That's about as specific as if you said you're a Muslim.

Christianity, in general terms, is a Gnostic religion since most denominations have emphasis on the importance of salvation and all that business with afterlife (although there are differences). But there are so much variations between individual denominations as to how important the material world is in comparison to immaterial (heaven), and particularly relating to the salvation doctrine. The main difference being whether you can get to heaven by faith alone, or by your deeds alone, or if both are required, and whether certain deeds exclude you from positive afterlife even if you have faith... and so forth.

So saying you're a Christian doesn't really tell a whole lot.

Of course there are other theistic religions that are not gnostic in the same sense as Christianity is. It basically means that the physical world and your life in it is considered more important than whatever might come afterwards. Judaism comes pretty close; although it does have a concept of "afterlife", it's pretty different from that of Christianity or Islam.

Third, I must respectfully disagree with your frequently repeated claim that belief in a God hinders science. I love science. The statements "God made the world" and "We should learn everything we can about the world He made", far from being contradictory, are mutually supportive.

Believing in God doesn't necessarily hinder science, there are some theistic scientists who do brilliant work in their fields. However, it can be a hindrance and that's pretty much a statement supported by statistics. If you look at the percentage of theists in academia, the higher you go, the less theists you find. Particularly in certain branches of science that are often in contradiction with traditionally held religious views.

But there's also a difference between religiousness and religion. Being a member of some established religion and following its tenets and dogma is inevitably going to hinder one's ability to make science, because when one encounters something that contradicts the teachings of that religion, it results in a cognitive dissonance of some level. And the way it is resolved is either by ignoring the reality and evidence and sticking with the beliefs, or the opposite - which, I would argue, sort of stops you from being a member in that particular religion afterwards. You might still partake in the social stuff and go through the motions, but is there going to be any conviction in the truth of the established position if your research has shown otherwise?

I would hazard a guess that most of the scientists with theistic or otherwise religious or spiritual world view do not necessarily submit to any particular religion as such, on a personal level.

I guess it could be condensed as follows: Any mention of God (or supernatural in general) in scientific context is fundamentally unscientific, because "God Did It" is a non-falsifiable claim. And certain religions include beliefs that contradict science, which makes them a hindrance to practice of science on a personal level. That's all I'm saying.

And the claim that Theists are somehow opposed to medical treatment of all things is outrageous to the point of not requiring refutation. (For the sake of moderation I'll avoid the birth control question you raise.)

The E already responded to this in a way I don't think I can put any better.

My statement was: "There are theists who are opposed to medical treatment and birth control because of theological reasons."

It was an example of the type of problems that can occur when decisions are made based on religious beliefs, and why I think it can be dangerous.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Three things. First, the basic questions "Does God exist?" "Is there life after death?" "Where does morality come from?" are, I would argue, extremely important questions to answer. If there is a good God I ought to be worshipping Him and following His commands- and making an effort to figure out where those commands are to be found. If there's life after death I better be getting ready for it.

Before asking the question "does God exist" you should first define what God means in the first place.

Before asking the second question you should define what "life" means. After you've defined what "life" is, you can then define "death" as cessation of life.

I'm assuming in this context you mean specifically whether human consciousness or parts of it continue existing after the nervous system shuts down and dies.

And, respectfully, I think asking "where does morality come from" is sort of begging the question that it must "come" from somewhere, as opposed to simply being a beneficial trait and a result of natural selection working on a population of social animals.

In my case, it was crucial to know whether any kind of "god" (polytheistic, monotheistic, pantheistic) existed. A bare-bones definition of God would be "A powerful supernatural intelligence", although that could be confused with an Angel.

"Life after death", naturally, refers to an afterlife; the possibility that the soul might survive physical death. A vastly important question IMO.

And of course, natural selection was on my list as one possible place where morality may have "come from". I came to the conclusion that it isn't a sufficient explanation. In a rather unsatisfactory attempt to condense a year's worth of intense study into a few sentences, the concept of a morality that came from natural selection and is nothing but a bunch of instincts might explain why I act in certain ways, but it doesn't explain why, regardless of instincts, I shouldn't act a certain way, nor why I have the authority and obligation to tell someone else that, regardless of their instincts, they shouldn't act that way either. Many scientists claim morality is the by-product of evolution, but to their credit few of them treat it that way in everyday life; they treat it as a set of objective laws, applicable to all, that everyone is expected to follow, regardless of what their instincts tell them. Educated or not, virtually everyone seems to perceive morality in that way, including me, and what that makes me suspect is that what we're dealing with is not a set of instincts but a real set of laws like the laws of mathematics, which humans can discern fairly easily. (Of course the matter is far more complicated than just that, but there's my attempt to explain.)

Second, how does taking a reason-based approach make me a Gnostic?

Gnosticism is - in a nutshell - a world view that divides the universe into two parts: The lower world of Demiurge, and the higher world of God. You might call them "material" and "immaterial"; "Mundane" and "Divine"; or "Natural" and "Supernatural", if you will.

In gnosticism, not only is it certain that the supernatural exists, it also states that the material world is of less importance than the spiritual world. Therefore, material world is to be shunned in favour of gaining knowledge and understanding (gnosis)of the spiritual world. Several ancient religions that are classified as Gnostic religions outlined various way of achieving this end, aiming towards "oneness with God".

What exactly does that knowledge contain is less clear and varies between different Gnostic religions.

Your statement that the aforementioned questions of God's existence are the most important questions to answer in your life would seem to qualify you as a gnostic of some level, at least in my assessment.

The fact that you are also a theist has little to do with you being gnostic. Theism is simply a view that at least one God (undefined) exists. But being a theist does not necessarily mean one is also a gnostic. I can conceivably imagine a world view where one believes a god exists, but doesn't necessarily value the spiritual world over material.
As I said before, Gnostic is a broad and confusing term (and I admit that Christian is as well, but it's hard to put my whole belief system into one word). I don't shun the material world at all- in fact I believe I have a God-given duty to help make it a better place- but I'm convinced that the supernatural world does exist, to the point of calling it a certainty. Whether that makes my a Gnostic depends on what definition of Gnostic you use.

I guess it could be condensed as follows: Any mention of God (or supernatural in general) in scientific context is fundamentally unscientific, because "God Did It" is a non-falsifiable claim. And certain religions include beliefs that contradict science, which makes them a hindrance to practice of science on a personal level. That's all I'm saying.
On the first point, we're more or less in agreement. "Does God Exist" is not a scientific question, because science is by definition the study of the natural (not supernatural) world. However, I don't believe that this reduces the validity or value of the question; philosophy is just a valid a field as science, and science can even impact philosophy in a positive manner (Psychology, in particular, is useful for understanding human beings, which in turn is valuable for philosophical analysis).

And the claim that Theists are somehow opposed to medical treatment of all things is outrageous to the point of not requiring refutation. (For the sake of moderation I'll avoid the birth control question you raise.)

The E already responded to this in a way I don't think I can put any better.

My statement was: "There are theists who are opposed to medical treatment and birth control because of theological reasons."

It was an example of the type of problems that can occur when decisions are made based on religious beliefs, and why I think it can be dangerous.

Yes, the confusion there has been cleared. I agree that if a religion's tenets oppose proper medical care, promote lying, et cetera, that's a pretty clear disproof of that specific religion. The ironic part of being religious is that you disagree with 90% of other people who are also religious. A side point: there are common birth control methods that reason alone tells me are wrong because they end a life; if a religion opposes them, that's something of an argument for that religion.

Interestingly, we both agree on a lot of things. Neither of us are in favor of blind faith.

In summary, I'll use a really awesome Martin Mandho line: "Faithful Reason and Reasonable Faith."
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 02:30:33 pm by InsaneBaron »

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
A bare-bones definition of God would be "A powerful supernatural intelligence"

But the whole concept of "supernatural" is a paradox.

If something exists (ie. is a real thing), that makes it part of reality. Reality is natural.

The point of dissonance to me is describing something that exists, yet is not natural. The two seem mutually exclusive to me.

Now, if you mean to refer to something unknown or something we don't understand, that's one thing. That doesn't mean it is "supernatural" at all.

Or, in another perspective: If something exists, it exists. Whether we believe in it or not does not change the fact. Whether we understand something or not, doesn't change the fact. "Natural" and "Supernatural" are just arbitrary labels, so why use them in the first place?

Argument from supernatural is just an argument from ignorance in disguise. It's better to acknowledge being ignorant about something than to invent something supernatural to fill the gap, or more commonly to believe in someone else's invention that just happens to be popular around where you were born.

But let's go with your definition. Let's say a vastly powerful intelligent being exists, and you don't quite understand it so you're calling it supernatural (which, as outlined above, is not necessarily the best classification). What then?

Why does that qualify as a God? What is it that separates "divine" from "mundane"?

If a vastly powerful intelligent being suddenly appeared in front of you and claimed "I AM GOD", what would it take to convince you that:

a. you could trust your senses and are not having an elaborate hallucination,

b. that you could trust the powerful being to tell you the truth, and

c. that the powerful being isn't just deluded or deceived into thinking it is a god?

There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
First off, as C. S. Lewis explains in "Miracles", we're arguing at cross-purposes because we're using two different definitions of natural. You define Natural as "everything that exists" (or something like that). By that definition, God (if he exists) is natural (which is a weird thought). When I talk about the Natural, I'm referring to our physical, sense-detectable, material world of matter and energy. The "Supernatural" is that which is "above the natural"- the term "spiritual world" is helpful, although that doesn't quite cover it. Whether or not we understand the supernatural is a secondary question- although in my view we can gain a certain degree of understanding.

So if you prefer, we can use the terms "physical" and "spiritual", although they aren't exactly the same thing.

Like I pointed out to Luis, "explaining what I don't understand" and "ideas that were popular where I was born" are irrelevant (religion was pretty unpopular where I was born).

As for what it would take to convince me... well, first off, if a being were to appear to me in the way you describe I'd smell a rat.

a. How do I know the table in front of me isn't an illusion? On a more useful note, at the time I'd consider it a significant possibility. Having had hallucinations in the past myself (stupid fevers :P ), I've found you can't often identify them until a while after you've had them.

b. & c. I'd challenge him to prove it. Now, once again, definitions are important; the polytheistic concept of a lowercase-g "god" (which from a Christian perspective is more like an angel, I'm reluctant to even call such a thing a god) is vastly different from the monotheistic, omnipotent creator "God" (capital G) of Christianity, Islam and Judaism. So I'd ask the thing what kind of god/God it was.

If the thing claimed to be a lowercase-g "god" (more of an "angel"... or "demon"... in my view), I'd engage the whatever-it-was in a debate: "What's your name? Who made you? How many other gods are there?" and look for contradictions. I don't think polytheism holds up to intellectual scrutiny. Given my existing philosophical convictions, my default assumption would be that the thing was lying to me. If the thing refused to engage, well, that's called admitting defeat :P

If the thing claimed to be THE UPPER-CASE G GOD... things would get complicated. Again, I could simply debate and look for contradictions. Alternately, I could simply ask the thing to prove it- THE UPPER-CASE G GOD ought to be able to think of something. Ultimately, it'd be difficult to disprove a claim by such a being, but for that reason I'd be cautious about accepting it's claim. Suffice to say I'd be in a difficult situation.

Now, what about you? How would you respond to such an appearance?

(Love that GIF btw. Puny God! I wouldn't even call Loki and Thor "gods"; just aliens)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
We may be arguing at cross-purposes, but I really am not convinced in any way that the definition of "above the natural" or "spiritual world" are helpful or meaningful in any ways. To me it seems they don't actually describe anything. Which part of the spectrum of existence should be defined as "natural" and which part "above" it? Who gets to make the call?

Coming from a physicist's point of view, almost all cases where the word "energy" is used in context with supernatural, it tends to cause a Montoya reaction for me. It is a common woo word, and should be cautioned against.

Quite simply, "energy" means potential to do something (which can be almost anything) that involves work.

If you say that a supernatural thing exists that has the potential to actually do something (anything) that affects the material world, you are actually saying that the supernatural entity has energy.

That means, from physical point of view, if supernatural things are described as not having energy, they have no potential to affect anything in the world and therefore by all standards do not exist.

In layman's terms: If "natural" world consists of "energy and matter", you sort of need energy and/or matter to affect the natural world.

That means, if supernatural things were to somehow interact with the "natural" world, they need to have some sort of connection to energy and matter, a way to manipulate things. That means "supernatural" part of reality cannot be separate from the "natural" - else they would have no interaction. Or, in simpler terms - supernatural things just consist of unknown type of energy/matter.

If you used a Venn diagram, you would end up with two intersecting circles, one labeled "Natural" and other "Supernatural", and the intersecting part would be the part of "supernatural" things that we would observe, right?

But if you look at it from a holistic perspective, both of them have a common denominator - both supposedly exist. So you might as well get over the fact that you don't understand what the "supernatural" half is, and just call it "unknown".

And, this is important: We can not make any statements regarding the nature of unknown things. That is what baffles me the most with religious conviction. It is a serious logical fault to suggest that something is both supernatural and that there is reliable information of it. Can't have it both ways, in my view.

Also a conceptual difference: "Unknown" is different from "unknowable". As the corollary of Clarke's third law says: Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science. Labeling something to be fundamentally unknowable is not a falsifiable claim; even if it is currently unknown, it may become known at some point in the future.

I can understand concepts like Plato's World of Ideas - a conceptual level of existence, not filled with real things but things of abstract nature, like logic, mathematics, ideals, or abstract representations of real things or properties of reality - but instead of considering it to be a "real" thing I think of it as a construct manufactured by sentient minds. Morality also exists there, but instead of originating from the world of ideas, it is rather a representation of human (and animal) real world behavioural rules that apply in the society one lives in.

To me, it seems plain that religious or "spiritual" concepts also exist in a corner of this World of Ideas. They are an idealized representation of something, and sit right next to (and intermingling with) our cosmological concepts of the world. For some people, religious ideas are part of their cosmology.

How well formulated these religious concepts are tends to vary from person to person. While these abstractions can exist in the same sense that mathematics exists, It does not necessarily mean there is any physically existing counterpart to them.

As for the problem of how to identify a God (or even just god) - it is a curious thing, isn't it? If I'm reading you correctly, you would be highly suspicious of any physical proof of the divinity of any given entity - as would I. Yet, there seems to be no doubt in your mind that a God exists while you have no evidence for it - while I categorically deny God's existence on conceptual level, on the basis that the basic property - divinity - is a faulty definition.

If I were confronted with an entity making a claim of its own divinity, I would approach things with great skepticism and even greater care. I would first attempt to establish what it means by the term "god".

If it insisted that it was a God, as in supernatural creator of the world, most likely I would conclude that either:

a. I was hallucinating,

b. the entity was lying for unknown purposes

c. the entity has deluded itself into thinking it is a god (whatever that concept meant to it).

Note that option C does not exclude the possibility that the entity really created the world we live in.

It just means it doesn't make it a god.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 06:16:02 pm by Herra Tohtori »

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
There's two problems there.

First off, defining energy as "the ability to do things" is like defining nature as "everything"; it's far too broad to be useful in a philosophical context, and the definition assumes your conclusion, leading to some reverse reasoning. In this context, a better definition of Energy would be "the capacity of a physical system to perform work." I'm talking a spiritual God, not a physical being like the Marvel Asgardians. However, I would argue that God (angels as well) have the ability to manipulate the matter and energy of our world, in much the same way that a programmer can manipulate a game world without entering it- God "coded" the world after all. A being that does not have a physical body does not require physical energy to function.

Second, you keep treating the distinction between the natural and supernatural as knowability. I've never claimed that knowability was part of the equation; you're debating something I don't believe anyway.

On the one angle, we can infer a number of things about the Supernatural by looking at the Natural- reasoning from the effect to the cause. Take the human being for example: an incredibly complex design, with a clear purpose to the design, which functions and functions well. Even we humans, for all our remarkable intelligence, can't come up with anything nearly as advanced as ourselves. What that suggests to me is that something extremely intelligent had a hand in our design- if I found a car-like vehicle on a distant planet, I'd conclude something intelligent made it, and you and I are orders of magnitude more complex than a car. Our ability to think in such an advanced manner (like this conversation) also seems to indicate a higher intelligence- after all, computers don't program themselves. If my intelligence, and that of those around me, is the result of swirling atoms put together by random chance, I really don't have any reason to trust that intelligence to give me access to real, objective truth, except maybe with regards to finding food and sex... and therefore, I've got little reason to trust the deep scientific claim that my brain is a bunch of atoms put together by a blind, random-chance process. Art doesn't get formed by waves making shapes on the sand.

On the other angle, if a Supernatural God exists, it's entirely reasonable that God would want to tell us about himself. Looking at history, we can find some very interesting evidence suggesting that he did so. The historical record of Jesus Christ and the early Christian Church simply doesn't make sense if we assume it was all a lie. Why would Christ and his followers be willing to die for a lie they made up? Why couldn't the Jewish religious leaders of the time have shut down the whole movement just be presenting Jesus's dead body? Even if you were to throw out the Bible, the historical records from neutral sources like Josephus simply don't make sense if Chistianity were a lie or a fantasy.

Well there's always the nonconstructive argument against that: what makes Christianity special in that regard? It's hardly the only religion whose followers have been willing to die for it, or that's survived persecution. Why can't I apply your line of reasoning to other religions and conclude that several contradictory gods exist?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
First off, defining energy as "the ability to do things" is like defining nature as "everything"; it's far too broad to be useful in a philosophical context, and the definition assumes your conclusion, leading to some reverse reasoning. In this context, a better definition of Energy would be "the capacity of a physical system to perform work." I'm talking a spiritual God, not a physical being like the Marvel Asgardians. However, I would argue that God (angels as well) have the ability to manipulate the matter and energy of our world, in much the same way that a programmer can manipulate a game world without entering it- God "coded" the world after all. A being that does not have a physical body does not require physical energy to function.

Which makes it impossible to make statements about God using the tools of scientific inquiry. The presence or non-presence of god becomes a neutral term; Equations constructed with God's influence in mind and those constructed without him come out the same way.

Second, you keep treating the distinction between the natural and supernatural as knowability. I've never claimed that knowability was part of the equation; you're debating something I don't believe anyway.

On the one angle, we can infer a number of things about the Supernatural by looking at the Natural- reasoning from the effect to the cause. Take the human being for example: an incredibly complex design, with a clear purpose to the design, which functions and functions well. Even we humans, for all our remarkable intelligence, can't come up with anything nearly as advanced as ourselves. What that suggests to me is that something extremely intelligent had a hand in our design- if I found a car-like vehicle on a distant planet, I'd conclude something intelligent made it, and you and I are orders of magnitude more complex than a car. Our ability to think in such an advanced manner (like this conversation) also seems to indicate a higher intelligence- after all, computers don't program themselves. If my intelligence, and that of those around me, is the result of swirling atoms put together by random chance, I really don't have any reason to trust that intelligence to give me access to real, objective truth, except maybe with regards to finding food and sex... and therefore, I've got little reason to trust the deep scientific claim that my brain is a bunch of atoms put together by a blind, random-chance process. Art doesn't get formed by waves making shapes on the sand.

I feel like this is a bit of a fallacy here. You look at the world around you, at the various gadgets and constructs humanity has made, and you see the results of a will shaping the world. Then you look inward, see complexity, and assume that some unseen will has shaped you. There's a logical leap here (because, as has been proven in lots of experiments, complexity is not a signifier of will; simple organisms, executing the same basic sets of behavioural instructions, can create complexity), one not implicitly warranted by the available evidence.

On the other angle, if a Supernatural God exists, it's entirely reasonable that God would want to tell us about himself. Looking at history, we can find some very interesting evidence suggesting that he did so. The historical record of Jesus Christ and the early Christian Church simply doesn't make sense if we assume it was all a lie. Why would Christ and his followers be willing to die for a lie they made up? Why couldn't the Jewish religious leaders of the time have shut down the whole movement just be presenting Jesus's dead body? Even if you were to throw out the Bible, the historical records from neutral sources like Josephus simply don't make sense if Chistianity were a lie or a fantasy.

Christianity is as real as it gets. Belief is a real thing. But the existance of belief says nothing about the existance of whatever the belief is about.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Oh boy this is going to be a long post...

There's two problems there.

First off, defining energy as "the ability to do things" is like defining nature as "everything"; it's far too broad to be useful in a philosophical context, and the definition assumes your conclusion, leading to some reverse reasoning.

But it works both ways. Energy is pretty strictly defined physical term, but badly understood by the physically illiterate masses (clearly, you are aware of what the term means). This is exactly the reason why "energy" is such a popular woo word, used in contexts such as "spiritual energy" and "energy healing", etc.

Regardless, if you choose to attempt to define supernatural with physical terminology, then I'm going to use physics to expose any possible faults I see with the definition.

In this context, a better definition of Energy would be "the capacity of a physical system to perform work."

I disagree for two reasons.

First, it implies that there are non-physical systems. While you could argue that I'm using circular logic to exclude non-physical (ie. supernatural) things in the first place, I posit that it is merely a matter of perspective. I am not saying that unknown things cannot exist. Just that they cannot be supernatural, if they occur in nature. Which, for us to observe them, or indeed for them to affect the universe in any way, they have to do in the first place.

Secondly, and more importantly, is exactly the reason why I'm objecting to the viability of "supernatural" as a concept in the first place.

Labeling something as "non-physical" does not change the fact that if it causes something to happen in a physical system, it must have some potential to do that physical work. In a case where an unknown process is seemingly dumping energy into a physical system, causing work to be done, that means the unknown process is in fact part of the physical system that you're observing.

This is almost analogous to the cosmological constant, or "dark energy", as it's often called.

It is not supernatural, because we can observe its effects.

The only things you could possibly ever call "supernatural" with a degree of accuracy are things that are fundamentally un-observable, and that essentially means they do not cause any observable changes in our universe. Which, in effect, means they do not exist.

I'm talking a spiritual God, not a physical being like the Marvel Asgardians.

What's the difference?

However, I would argue that God (angels as well) have the ability to manipulate the matter and energy of our world, in much the same way that a programmer can manipulate a game world without entering it- God "coded" the world after all.

Which in no way makes the programmer divine.

If we imagine a scenario where our universe is in fact a nested, simulated world, that just means that whatever computer is running the simulator is obeying the laws of physics in the universe where it is physically present, and whatever entity is programming and managing the simulation is a naturally occurring sentient being living in its home universe.

Probably very different from us - probably the universe itself would be different from ours - but would it make any sense to call that being "divine" or even "supernatural"?

A being that does not have a physical body does not require physical energy to function.

Disagree. See above. All energy is physical because it is a physical term.

Historically, there has been several phenomena thought to be supernatural in origin. Once we acquired better knowledge of them, we began to understand the reasons behind them, and realized they were not supernatural at all.

But the thing didn't change, just our label for it. Hence, it's not a property of things to be supernatural, but just a degree of our knowledge of them.

Because of this, if there's something we can acquire knowledge of - even if it's currently unknown - it would make little sense to call it supernatural now. The trend seems to be that at some point we'll know enough about it that no one thinks it's supernatural any more.

That is also why the things that have retained their "supernatural" label tend to be of the unknowable variety. Claims that you can neither prove or disprove.

On the one angle, we can infer a number of things about the Supernatural by looking at the Natural- reasoning from the effect to the cause.

Natural reasoning (if you refer to "common sense") is fundamentally unreliable and suspect. Formal logic is not.

We know from physical experiments that our universe is seemingly highly illogical - by which we mean counter-intuitive to us - on a fundamental level. What does that say about our ability to infer anything about what is natural and what is supernatural?

Take the human being for example: an incredibly complex design

About the same complexity as any other vertebrate mammal. Minor differences aside.

with a clear purpose to the design

I wasn't aware...

which functions and functions well.

Not so much functions well as "functions well enough that there haven't been sufficient selective pressure to eliminate the less functional features".

I personally wouldn't call it clever design to build a bridge, then add barely sufficient reinforcements to get it to stand vertically on one end, and use that as a base structure of a skyscraper. That's basically what human spine is like from engineering standpoint.

Even we humans, for all our remarkable intelligence, can't come up with anything nearly as advanced as ourselves.

Fundamentally can't, or simply haven't? There's a difference (which is similar to unknown and unknowable).

It also raises the question of how one would define "advanced". I mean, an i7 processor is fairly well advanced compared to my ability to perform calculations, yet I definitely agree that in creativity, problem-solving, and being aware of itself, it ranks about the same as a bacterium, which is none at all. But one could make a hypothesis that this is just down to software...

What that suggests to me is that something extremely intelligent had a hand in our design- if I found a car-like vehicle on a distant planet, I'd conclude something intelligent made it, and you and I are orders of magnitude more complex than a car. Our ability to think in such an advanced manner (like this conversation) also seems to indicate a higher intelligence- after all, computers don't program themselves. If my intelligence, and that of those around me, is the result of swirling atoms put together by random chance, I really don't have any reason to trust that intelligence to give me access to real, objective truth, except maybe with regards to finding food and sex... and therefore, I've got little reason to trust the deep scientific claim that my brain is a bunch of atoms put together by a blind, random-chance process. Art doesn't get formed by waves making shapes on the sand.

These are incredibly worn out (straw man) arguments for intelligent design and I truly expected something different. I won't go into detail here on refuting them, since the topic of intelligent design really doesn't belong to this discussion I believe.

However, to understand why an inanimate object is different from a living organism that produces offspring, whose traits are affected by mutations, and the environment weeds out the least suitable specimens, I suggest watching this excellent video, and paying attention to the details.

Computers don't program themselves, but you don't need anyone to program DNA. That's what evolution is all about.

On the other angle, if a Supernatural God exists, it's entirely reasonable that God would want to tell us about himself. Looking at history, we can find some very interesting evidence suggesting that he did so.

Which is made less interesting by the fact that these records are largely in contradiction with each other and seem to be highly dependant on the culture they were associated with.

The historical record of Jesus Christ and the early Christian Church simply doesn't make sense if we assume it was all a lie. Why would Christ and his followers be willing to die for a lie they made up?

Belief in something does not make it true.
Even if you're willing to die for it.

People throughout history have been willing to die for their beliefs, wide and varied. Some of the beliefs have been true, some false. Some beliefs have been beneficial, some malicious. That proves absolutely nothing at all about the validity of the beliefs themselves.

This just seems like a complete Non Sequitur to me.

Why couldn't the Jewish religious leaders of the time have shut down the whole movement just be presenting Jesus's dead body? Even if you were to throw out the Bible, the historical records from neutral sources like Josephus simply don't make sense if Chistianity were a lie or a fantasy.

Even if the Jewish religious leaders were in charge (which they weren't, the Romans were) of matters like that, the whole thing was initially a very small Jewish fringe group or cult and remained so for significant time. Members of it were mostly being Jewish and doing Jewish things just as everyone else. They did some non-standard things like ritually consume their dead leader's body and blood, and spread some strange tales of a new way to salvation (which, by being far easier than other alternatives was undoubtedly quite tempting).

But you have to remember that the time period from Jesus' alleged death and the actual writing of the Gospels (and the rest of New Testament books) is somewhat unknown (even longer until they were canonized, while other records were discarded, but that's sort of another story). By the time the early Christian Church had gained enough momentum to be a serious threat to regional stability, I'm fairly sure any physical evidence to counter the claims made by the new church would have deteriorated beyond anything that could have convinced the people of the time. Forensic science was not the same back then, and people didn't really know just how much you could enhance a digital photograph of Jesus' tomb to prove that Jesus' body really was still in there.

Even if they had been presented with evidence to the contrary of their beliefs, it is highly likely they would have simply ignored the evidence and continued believing regardless. That's how religions tend to work, especially if you're a convert.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 10:54:22 am by Herra Tohtori »