Author Topic: Happy New Year from the SCP (3.6.9 Official Release)  (Read 213113 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Happy New Year from the SCP (3.6.9 Official Release)
Vista supports a minimum of OpenGL 1.4.  If it reports a version lower than that this it's a problem with your graphics card drivers, not with Vista.  Older versions of Windows did have OpenGL 1.1 only, but that was always supplanted by the ICDs that video card makers created and included with their drivers.  This 1.1 version of OpenGL was software accelerated only, but in Vista the default OpenGL version is actually a wrapper around DX10.  It's not as full featured as OpenGL itself, but it should work a lot better for people that don't have a good video card, and it's even hardware accelerated through DX10.

Most people will just be using an ICD though, a full version of OpenGL provided by their video cards.  Newer stuff from Intel, AMD/ATI cards, and obviously NVIDIA cards, will be providing an ICD in their drivers so that you can have proper, full OpenGL support.

It's not a great situation overall, but it's considerably better than things used to be.  Microsoft may have actually managed to do something a little strange and uncharacteristic here, "a good thing". :)

That was what I had guessed caused the interpretation above.  So there's really nothing new from the current standard, except that the included OpenGL will actually be better than the one included with XP.  That's actually a plus people.  Nothing stops you from just installing your graphics drivers to get your OpenGL 2.0 support, like you've always done.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Okay, I have a very bizarre FRED problem.

The cursor does not show up, at all, within the FRED program itself. Not just the window, but the program. You have to click on some other object like the taskbar before getting a cursor. (Fortunately my taskbar is relatively full most of the time so I can notice the highlighting and figure out it's down there.)

However, this is the kicker: it appears to be related to a particular set of tables I am using. I cannot for the life of me understand how this is happening, but since these are the tables for a campaign I'm working on, it's a rather serious problem.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Kuras

• space
thanks to all SCP team for hard work
driffing somewhere in space....

"Unable to get proper pixel format for OpenGL W32!"
So, it's either that you don't have proper video card drivers installed, you have the drivers installed but they suck ass, or you need to lower the resolution specified in the Launcher to see if it will work better with a lower setting.

I tried all your suggested combinations.  Still doesn't work on OpenGL.  I checked ATI's website, and the 64bit Catalyst driver for Vista is only BETA.  Moreover, I also read that OpenGL is weird on Windows Vista.  If anyone else got SCP 3.6.9 working on Vista 64bit w/ OpenGL, please let me know!

- Rampage

Beta isnt always bad dude. Try it out and see how it is. :)

I've been a Windows user since ... well, DOS, and finally made the switch to a Linux desktop over the holidays (I use my desktop for play and work, so it was a long-term shift for me). Unfortunately, it seems my craving for a round of good gaming was ill-timed, as I've been looking for something to fit the bill for days; Seems like the only games I own and would enjoy playing again aren't even remotely supported by Cedega, so that was a wash. I've always been a fan of space sim/shooters since Wing Commander, though, and FreeSpace 2 was definitely the pinnacle of the genre for me.

I tried playing Vendetta Online for the first time today, but with my limited time (having a baby does horrible things to what used to be your hobby time, I've discovered) I don't think a membership would be a good investment as I'd probably get to play for 30 minutes twice a month or something. So far today the longest stretch I've had (mostly) uninterrupted was for about 40 minutes, and my joystick hand was in agony after working the hat continuously for a few tiring minutes of strafing during combat training.

I miss good old FreeSpace 2; besides, I've never been much for online gaming except the occasional co-op play; sell me a plethora of solo campaigns and I'm a happy camper. Give me an old game made new again -- for free -- by the hard work of its fans, and I'm happier still.

Thanks go out to all the developers, designers, et al. that worked on this and previous FreeSpace Open releases. I eagerly await the impending release of the promised Linux amd64 version.

Offline Jopi

• In the army now, TJ 163
Well, the OpenAL download server seems to be down. What a surprise, whenever I want to play FreeSpace, it'll always be at least a week-long fight to death with all kinds of technical problems, bugs, crashes, mysterious failures etc. Does anyone know an alternative location where I can download OpenAL?

You're not the only one who ran into this problem. Fortunately, I have a download for you. Unfortunately, it's not from what I would describe as a "trusted source" -- You're downloading and installing this at your own risk, don't blame me if it's a virus/trojan.

http://www.filemirrors.com/search.src?type=begins&file=oalinst.rar&action=Find

That being said, I have scanned it myself and installed it, and it has worked fine for me -- I played the game for a couple hours yesterday evening (on Windows, obviously) and had a blast.

Offline Decado

So is 3.6.9 the most stable version of the SCP?  At this point I just intend to play the original FP2 campaign again, as it has been a long time.  I have other games to play if there are still a lot of bugs, though.

3.6.9 works great!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
So is 3.6.9 the most stable version of the SCP?  At this point I just intend to play the original FP2 campaign again, as it has been a long time.  I have other games to play if there are still a lot of bugs, though.

Once you get it installed properly you shouldn't run into any major bugs with the main campaign (hopefully). We spent nearly a year bug fixing before this release.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline bkd86

I don't know if this is the correct place for this, but I used the installer to get all the recent files, and I can't get it to work. It crashes after the SCP screen.

Error: TurretAngleFix-shp.tbm(line 6:
Error: Required token = [#End], [$Subsystem:] or [$Name], found [$animation=triggered].

File:J:\src\cvs\fs2_open_3_6_9.final\code\Parse\PARSELO.CPP
Line: 659
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------

Any ideas what I can do to fix this?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
I don't know if this is the correct place for this, but I used the installer to get all the recent files, and I can't get it to work. It crashes after the SCP screen.

Error: Required token = [#End], [$Subsystem:] or [$Name], found [$animation=triggered].

[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:

Any ideas what I can do to fix this?

can you post a picture of your freespace2\mediavps folder, so that I can see the names and sizes of the files in it?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline bkd86

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Two things to try:

1. Re-download mv_core.vp.
2. run a debug build and post the contents of fs.log.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline bkd86

1. Done still has the same problems.
2. Done. Here is what popped up.

Call stack:
    required_string_3()    parse_ship()    parse_shiptbl()    parse_modular_table()    ship_init()    game_init()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816fd7()

Offline bkd86

Sorry for the double post, but it wouldn't let me break into the debugger, kept giving me a MS error.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
2. Done.

No, you're not.

2. run a debug build and post the contents of fs.log.

Offline bkd86

Sorry forgot to post the log, was the last thing I was doing before going to bed.

fs2_open_3_6_9_debug caused a Breakpoint in module fs2_open_3_6_9_debug.exe at 001b:00589c07.
Exception handler called in FreeSpace 2 Main Thread.
Error occurred at 1/24/2007 23:12:02.
C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_3_6_9_debug.exe, run by Brian Dale.
2 processor(s), type 586.
2047 MBytes physical memory.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 02:25:43 am by karajorma »

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Hmmm... Read this and this time post the last lines the other log (fs2_open.log) file.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light