Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 614137 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: What are you playing right now?
I played all the Deus Ex Mankind Divided DLC missions. The maps and detail are once again amazing (like the base game). All of them start you off with no stats or weapons, so they lack the sense of building up your character that you get in the main game. A Criminal Past has a gritty atmosphere (reminds me of the Riddick games) and the main villain is an interesting character, but the story feels overly complicated and your whole reason for being there never makes sense. I liked System Rift better overall, with a small but well designed city area, and the VR section at the end is pretty cool and similar to the breach mode.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Just finished a big replay of The Witcher series. I'd sided with the knights previously so this time I decided I'd go through the entire  3 games and make all the choices I didn't make before (Side with the elves, not support either of Crach's children, etc). It left me with some observations about the series.

1) I'd never quite realised how big Witcher 3 is until I sat down to play it all in one go. I've played W3 and Hearts of Stone together but when Blood and Wine came out I just played an old game save. Played together if you decide to complete everything you're looking at well over a hundred hours of gameplay, I've clocked in at close to double that.

2) If you've only played Witcher 2 once you've cheated yourself of at least 10 hours of gameplay. Depending on whether you side with Vernon or not you lock out a massive chunk of gameplay. Witcher I and III do this too but not to anywhere near as great an extent. For things like the choice between Cerys and her brother you can simply go back and play the other choice and see the other outcome. With other stuff it's more intertwined and you'll see some changes hours later but the plot still remains mostly the same. In Witcher II however the game basically splits in two after Chapter 1 and rejoins about an hour before the end.

3) The Witcher III expansions are truly that, not just stand-alone games bolted onto the main game. Characters in the expansion will talk about the events of the main game and the responses you get will alter depending on your progress in the main game. What is even more surprising is that the reverse is true too. There are a few places where the dialogue in the main game alter depending on your choices in the expansions!

4) Gaunter O'Dimm is every-****ing-where and once you've been warned about that, it's really creepy. 
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I got one and two from humble bundle or GOG, about a fortnight back. Both enhanced editions (so I assume with all DLC?) For about £3.20p so I guess I'd better try them out at some point.  Nice to know it was money well spend.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline crizza

I'm currently playing Total War: Warhammer 2
While it is quite engaging, it absolutely sucks if you start a ritual, content you can do it because the game has a feature telling you "at our current strength, that ritual should be a cakewalk.
And then the special armies spawn^^

I just got my Link to the Past item randomizer time down to 2:39 on the in-game clock.  I'm pretty chuffed with that, since I'm quite a casual player.

I'll probably let that stand for a while, since I'm feeling the itch to get back into something more creative, like Minecraft or KSP.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Just finished a big replay of The Witcher series. I'd sided with the knights previously so this time I decided I'd go through the entire  3 games and make all the choices I didn't make before (Side with the elves, not support either of Crach's children, etc). It left me with some observations about the series.

1) I'd never quite realised how big Witcher 3 is until I sat down to play it all in one go. I've played W3 and Hearts of Stone together but when Blood and Wine came out I just played an old game save. Played together if you decide to complete everything you're looking at well over a hundred hours of gameplay, I've clocked in at close to double that.

2) If you've only played Witcher 2 once you've cheated yourself of at least 10 hours of gameplay. Depending on whether you side with Vernon or not you lock out a massive chunk of gameplay. Witcher I and III do this too but not to anywhere near as great an extent. For things like the choice between Cerys and her brother you can simply go back and play the other choice and see the other outcome. With other stuff it's more intertwined and you'll see some changes hours later but the plot still remains mostly the same. In Witcher II however the game basically splits in two after Chapter 1 and rejoins about an hour before the end.

3) The Witcher III expansions are truly that, not just stand-alone games bolted onto the main game. Characters in the expansion will talk about the events of the main game and the responses you get will alter depending on your progress in the main game. What is even more surprising is that the reverse is true too. There are a few places where the dialogue in the main game alter depending on your choices in the expansions!

4) Gaunter O'Dimm is every-****ing-where and once you've been warned about that, it's really creepy.

You, sir, are ahead of me.

I played W1 as a neutral, siding with no one.  W2, I actually played both sides (kept a save at the end of Chapter 1).  It was rewarding.  I'm now ~70ish hours into W3 (GOTY, with all expansions), lvel 14, and the end is nowhere in sight. At my current rate of progress, I'm guessing well over 200-250 hrs of gameplay.  This game is massive, but amazing.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I was playing some Totalwarhammer 2, beat the campaign as high elves, heading toward the end as lizardmen.

But now I'm playing Shadow of Wardor

And then later I'll play Grim Dawn Expansion
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Totalwarhammer.
........2 :confused:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline crizza

PUBG... and I have no idea what I'm doing...

Offline Turambar

Totalwarhammer.

Yeah, it has High Elves, Lizardmen, Skaven, and Dark Elves, and you try to control the magical vortex.  It's a race to complete rituals, so the campaign is a lot faster, with campaigns finishing in 150 turns or so (already have a mod that slows that down a bit, and am taking it slower in my current lizardmen campaign)
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats

Offline crizza

Totalwarhammer.

Yeah, it has High Elves, Lizardmen, Skaven, and Dark Elves, and you try to control the magical vortex.  It's a race to complete rituals, so the campaign is a lot faster, with campaigns finishing in 150 turns or so (already have a mod that slows that down a bit, and am taking it slower in my current lizardmen campaign)
You do know that you don't need to do this?
Everytime a faction completes the last ritual, you have the option of fighting them one last time, winning this battle will kick them out of the rituals :D
Don't know if it applies, but I think you have even unlimited ammo for yor ranged units.

Offline Turambar

You do know that you don't need to do this?

Yeah, I just prefer to avoid abusing mechanics like that if i can.

Offline crizza

Well, you have to fight the other three races non the less.
I'm currently ahead of the other factions, so I let them catch up, while waging war against them *shrug*

Offline Turambar

Well, I've already won once, so I know what the final battle's like, and I've done the final ritual interrupt once, so I know what that's like too.

Now I'm just having fun rampaging dinosaurs all over everyone.

Offline crizza

Lizardmen are so much fun, agreed :D

PUBG... and I have no idea what I'm doing...
... I think that goes without saying for most of us :)

And don't forget to pick up that frying pan !!!

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Grim Dawn. Again.

It's quite a bit more interesting now with Ashes of Malmouth.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Wet Orange Ostrich Toilet

• Worst Modder HLP has ever seen
Freshly installed X-COM: Interceptor. It's a fun game, but it SERIOUSLY needs a limitation on turn times, especially for UFOs. I just spent a good 10 minutes trying to disable a ship without ramming into it.
"I thought the Medal Display thingy was a baking tray!"

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Bought the Last Guardian for PS4 (obs) yesterday and was about to try it but the good lady wife (who is due to expunge my proginy in less than 4 weeks) did that thing where she wants to watch **** tv instead so i'm downloading The Witcher 1 enhanced from GOG (same one i bought on humble bundle) to see what all the fuss is.........
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
expunge

I, uh, don't think that means what you think it means
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.