Author Topic: Serious problem loading model x.pof, y normals capped to zero  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Serious problem loading model x.pof, y normals capped to zero
Is this error message really something fred2_open debug has to show on mission load? Not even fs2_open bothers with these errors. Seems like most modelers don't even know how to eliminate these entirely, so even mediavps is left with some pofs that trigger this error.

I would like to ask if it would be possible to move this error message to debug log, instead of slowing mission loading down due to requiring human action to click away each and every error box.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Serious problem loading model x.pof, y normals capped to zero
It's definitely an issue that should be fixed on the model.  I've never got an answer on why it only happens in FRED.  I've always assumed the error message is just backwards and meant to show up in FS2 and not FRED. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
what's the issue in the model that causes this?  I made a model that shows this error and have no have no idea what it means.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

It's caused by messy geometry. I once had it, because I extruded a multi-poly plane as individual faces... if you know what I mean... If you encounter it, try removing all doubles and checking for non-manifold edges. See also here.