Author Topic: FS2open works fine running FS2.exe but not running wxLauncher.exe  (Read 2181 times)

Offline rickrsr

• 2-∞ - User does not compute
FS2open works fine running FS2.exe but not running wxLauncher.exe
When I run FS2open using "C:\rick\FreeSpace2open\FreeSpace2install\FS2.exe", I believe that things are working fine because the game starts up in 1920x1080 resolution and gameplay proceeds smoothly.
(When I first installed the original FS2,  running FS2.exe started the game in low resolution).

But, when I try to run from the launcher, i.e. "C:\Program Files (x86)\wxLauncher\bin\wxlauncher.exe", after I click on "play", I get fatal errors "Unable to get proper pixel format for OpenGL W32!" and "Unable to initialize display device!".

I am running on Windows 8, FS2open version 3.70, which I built from the FS2 I downloaded from GOG.com,
using the documention from "www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Installing_FreeSpace_2_Open".

So I'm not stopped from starting to learn about the game, but I would appreciate any help at getting the "play" from wxLauncher to work.

Offline Yarn

Re: FS2open works fine running FS2.exe but not running wxLauncher.exe
When I run FS2open using "C:\rick\FreeSpace2open\FreeSpace2install\FS2.exe", I believe that things are working fine because the game starts up in 1920x1080 resolution and gameplay proceeds smoothly.
Retail FreeSpace 2 (which is what you're referring to there) runs only in 640x480 and 1024x768; it's definitely not running in 1920x1080.

But, when I try to run from the launcher, i.e. "C:\Program Files (x86)\wxLauncher\bin\wxlauncher.exe", after I click on "play", I get fatal errors "Unable to get proper pixel format for OpenGL W32!" and "Unable to initialize display device!".

I am running on Windows 8, FS2open version 3.70, which I built from the FS2 I downloaded from GOG.com,
using the documention from "www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Installing_FreeSpace_2_Open".

So I'm not stopped from starting to learn about the game, but I would appreciate any help at getting the "play" from wxLauncher to work.
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178