Author Topic: Derelict Issue  (Read 3702 times)

Offline sunnyB

I have been able to play Derelict successfully with ZERO issues until recently.

After finishing the "Onslaught" Mission and once i clicked continue after the Results screen, the game gave me an error.
Attached is the fs2_open log.

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline Yarn

Code: [Select]
Found root pack 'C:\GOG Games\Freespace 2\Derelict\MV_Advanced.vp' with a checksum of 0x4b8b0f5a
Found root pack 'C:\GOG Games\Freespace 2\Derelict\MV_AnimGlows.vp' with a checksum of 0x6a554026
Found root pack 'C:\GOG Games\Freespace 2\Derelict\MV_Assets.3612.vp' with a checksum of 0x59649c21
Found root pack 'C:\GOG Games\Freespace 2\Derelict\MV_Assets.vp' with a checksum of 0x529cc70f
Found root pack 'C:\GOG Games\Freespace 2\Derelict\MV_Effects.3612.vp' with a checksum of 0x9c510aa0
Found root pack 'C:\GOG Games\Freespace 2\Derelict\MV_Effects.vp' with a checksum of 0xb9a9a485
Found root pack 'C:\GOG Games\Freespace 2\Derelict\MV_Music.vp' with a checksum of 0xb3e21469
Found root pack 'C:\GOG Games\Freespace 2\Derelict\MV_RadarIcons.vp' with a checksum of 0x31dd7781
Found root pack 'C:\GOG Games\Freespace 2\Derelict\MV_Root.3612.vp' with a checksum of 0x7c9d7e74
Found root pack 'C:\GOG Games\Freespace 2\Derelict\MV_Root.vp' with a checksum of 0x6ffd5c78
These files belong in the mediavps_3612 folder, not Derelict. If you don't already have a folder called "mediavps_3612" in your FS2 folder, create it and move these files there. Once you've done that, go to the MediaVPs 3.6.12 release thread, get the file called "MediaVPs_3612.zip", and extract it to your mediavps_3612 folder.

After doing that, I suggest getting the newer 2014 MediaVPs. If you don't already have them, you can get them by using the installer. (If you want to install them manually, the release thread is here.)

Code: [Select]
  -mod Derelict,mediavps
The mod.ini file that is currently in your Derelict folder is pointing to an old MediaVP version. Open that mod.ini file, look for the line that starts with "secondarylist" (it might say "secondrylist" instead), and change the "mediavps" part to either mediavps_3612 or mediavps_2014, depending on which version you want to use.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline CT27

Also, if you want to play the newest version of Derelict (Derelict 3.7), you'll need the 2014 mediaVPs.

Offline sunnyB

Well i removed those files that you told me to do and also changed mediavps to mediavps_3612.

Still getting errors.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Well i removed those files that you told me to do and also changed mediavps to mediavps_3612.
Also, if you want to play the newest version of Derelict (Derelict 3.7), you'll need the 2014 mediaVPs.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline sunnyB

What i don't understand is why the game worked completely okay up until the 20+ mission, then it doesn't work.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Does the Artemis D.H. show up before then?

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline sunnyB

Does the Artemis D.H. show up before then?

Only the Artemis i believe from the Pirates earlier in the game

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Redownload the Derelict 3.7.0 campaign to make sure you have the most recent version.  All you should need to download is the core package. 
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=85745.0
In the mediavps 2014 the artemis DH model is artemisDH.pof, but in the 3.6.12 mediavps it is bonus2t-01.pof because there was not an upgraded model.  The upgraded model should have been included for use with the 3.6.12 mediavps.  The problem was the POF file Artemis D.H. which was used for the Hydra was not included in the download.  If you use the Mediavps-2014 it has the pof file which is the upgraded version of the Artemis D.H.  This problem was identified in the release thread.
Use the Mediavps-2014 and a recent nightly build.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 10:16:16 am by Macfie »
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline sunnyB

Redownload the Derelict 3.7.0 campaign to make sure you have the most recent version.  All you should need to download is the core package. 
In the mediavps 2014 the artemis DH model is artemisDH.pof, but in the 3.6.12 mediavps it is bonus2t-01.pof because there was not an upgraded model.  The upgraded model should have been included for use with the 3.6.12 mediavps.  The problem was the POF file Artemis D.H. which was used for the Hydra was not included in the download.  If you use the Mediavps-2014 it has the pof file which is the ugraded version of the Artemis D.H.  This problem was identified in the release thread.
Use the Mediavps-2014 and a recent nightly build.

Stupid question, but will this affect my campaign progress?

Offline Macfie

It shouldn't, all the file names are the same.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline sunnyB

Okay i seriously don't know what i'm doing wrong.

-I went to download all 9 downloads individually from this link for the Mediavps_2014
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=86475.0

-Threw those into my Freespace 2 root folder and created a mediavps_2014 just as you would have it for the mediavps_3612 files

-Went to this link to download the Core Package for Derelict as well as removed the Patch files that it says to do if i had the older version of Derelict

-Got the latest nightly build as well

Still running into the:

"Can't open model file <artemisdh.pof>"

Offline Yarn

When you extracted the MediaVP files, did they end up in the FS2 root folder (very wrong) or a folder called "mediavps_2014" (correct)?

Do you still have the "MV_" files in your Derelict folder? (You shouldn't.)

Did you open the mod.ini file in your Derelict folder and make sure that the "secondarylist" line points to "mediavps_2014" rather than "mediavps" or "mediavps_3612"?
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
-I went to download all 9 downloads individually from this link for the Mediavps_2014

-Threw those into my Freespace 2 root folder and created a mediavps_2014 just as you would have it for the mediavps_3612 files

You need to extract and copy all the files for mediavps_2014 into the mediavps_2014 folder, not into the Freespace2 root folder.  If that doesn't help, please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline sunnyB

When you extracted the MediaVP files, did they end up in the FS2 root folder (very wrong) or a folder called "mediavps_2014" (correct)?

Do you still have the "MV_" files in your Derelict folder? (You shouldn't.)

Did you open the mod.ini file in your Derelict folder and make sure that the "secondarylist" line points to "mediavps_2014" rather than "mediavps" or "mediavps_3612"?

-I Extracted the files into a folder called "mediavps_2014". The same process i did for the mediavps_3612.
-There are no MV_ files in my Derelict folder.
-mod.ini file has "secondarylist" pointing to "mediavps_2014" and not the other two.

You need to extract and copy all the files for mediavps_2014 into the mediavps_2014 folder, not into the Freespace2 root folder.  If that doesn't help, please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
The log file you posted isn't having an issue with artemisdh.pof. The end of the log is a warning (not an error) about a detail level mismatch in a table, which can be ignored and continued past by hitting "no" on the window that pops up. However, since that warning should only pop up after artemisdh.pof was successfully loaded, you should be able to just switch back to a release build and play normally.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline Yarn

I'd like to add that warnings appear only in debug builds.

This particular warning indicates a mismatch between the GTFf Saphah's table entry and model, so consider contacting the author to have it fixed. (If you do, then also ask him/her to include a proper mod.ini that points to mediavps_2014.)
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline sunnyB

1) Grabbed Core Package from:

2) Extracted files into Derelict folder that is in Freespace 2 Root folder

2) Grabbed Voice Acting Package from link above as well

3) Extracted those into Derelict folder that is in Freespace 2 Root Folder

4) I have the mediavps_2014 from: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=86475.0
extracted in a folder called "mediavps_2014" which lies in my Freespace 2 root folder

5) mod.ini points to mediavps_2014

6) using wxLauncher

7) Using FS2 Open Executable:      "FS2 Open 3.7.1 (Build 10432)

8) Launch game.
I currently just finished the "Onslaught" Mission
I get the error:

Malloc Failed!

ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 152 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_1-20140212_r10432.exe! <no symbol>
ntdll.dll! RtlImageNtHeader + 1814 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlImageNtHeader + 782 bytes
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
MMDevAPI.DLL! Ordinal2 + 37487 bytes
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
USP10.dll! ScriptPositionSingleGlyph + 26060 bytes
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>

9) Attached is the fs2open log after running debug mode for the 10432 build.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The log file you posted isn't having an issue with artemisdh.pof. The end of the log is a warning (not an error) about a detail level mismatch in a table, which can be ignored and continued past by hitting "no" on the window that pops up. However, since that warning should only pop up after artemisdh.pof was successfully loaded, you should be able to just switch back to a release build and play normally.

I tried clickin "no" after the pop-up pop upped and let the game try and load the rest of its stuff.
When the load screen has all the Circles and Ovals lit up on the in-between loading screens, i had to exit out the game since it crashed.

I then switched back to the non-debug build but still got the error as i did in Step 8) from above.

Can someone please take the time and walk me through getting this too work

Offline Macfie

You are using a very old nightly build.  I would recommend using a recent nightly build
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=173.0
or the most recent release candidate for 3.7.2
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=87764.0

Offline sunnyB

You are using a very old nightly build.  I would recommend using a recent nightly build
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=173.0
or the most recent release candidate for 3.7.2
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=87764.0

tried using the 3.7.2 build.
attached is the log error from debug.