Author Topic: FreeSpace Tactics Kickstarter  (Read 12379 times)

Offline Geezer

• Methuselah
If a man walks in the desert and speaks where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: FreeSpace Tactics Kickstarter
Cease & Desist from Interplay in five... four...
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Luis Dias

So they work on Interplay, they say they are "gauging" this to see interest in the FS Universe?

My Bull**** alarms are somewhat ringing here. Not even one mention regarding the legal accountability of the IP.

They even have a lawyer. If that's all true and their intentions are good, it might make it.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class

Biography

FreeSpace Development Corp is a dedicated group of gamers and game makers. We're fans of the FreeSpace games and our goal is to keep exploring that universe.

During the day, we work for Interplay making computer games. At night and on the weekends, we play and create board games. FDC is a chance for us to combine our two passions.

Our lead designer is Chris Taylor, an experienced board game designer (Nemo's War, Forlorn: Hope, Moonbase Alpha, Imperial Stars II). He can often be found on Boardgamegeek.com, under the username Anarchy.

Our lead artist is Serg. Put stuff about Serg here.

Our other artist is Logan. Logan's favorite board games are Monopoly and Monopoly Express (Just kidding, Logan!).

Even our lawyer, Chris Nelson, is an experienced board gamer.

I didn't think Interplay made computer games anymore?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
_IF_ Interplay supports this I think we should support the hell out of it.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
_IF_ Interplay supports this I think we should support the hell out of it.
Oh, absolutely; but I'm not going to pledge a dime until I know it won't just get shut down.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Luis Dias

That's the best approach.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
On the plus side, I'm glad to see it's based around Terran/Vasudan engagements, since Shivan engagements were pretty much one-sided most of the time.

I'm a bit cold on the miniatures themselves, but the project does say they are prototypes.

Yup, I'll wait and see what Interplay do about this before making any further judgements.

Hi there!  Chris from FreeSpace Development Corp here.  Just wanted to let you guys know that FreeSpace Tactics is officially licensed, so the only risk of it being shut down is if we don't make the funding goal!  I updated the campaign page to address your valid concern.  We should have said that more clearly.  Also, about the minis: the ships on the campaign page are 3-D printed prototypes that we had made just to fool around with during our play testing.  The final game pieces will be higher quality molded plastic and will have more detail.  If you have any other questions, fire away!  I encourage you to ask over at the Kickstarter page so everyone can have the info. 

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Thanks Chris.  One of our other members also just noticed the news item on Interplay's website :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Sololop

I hope this works out. If I wasn't behind on bills, I'd back it. I'd love to have a miniatures board game of FS!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Why is the heavies stretch goal said to be the Medusa and the Seth? The Seth isn't a heavy bomber, shouldn't it be the Amun?
Or is it heavy fighters? In which case it shouldn't be the Medusa but the Hercules.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Hi there!  Chris from FreeSpace Development Corp here.  Just wanted to let you guys know that FreeSpace Tactics is officially licensed, so the only risk of it being shut down is if we don't make the funding goal!  I updated the campaign page to address your valid concern.
Color me genuinely (and pleasantly!) surprised. I just backed!

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
This project is also all over the Interplay website, which is good enough for me. Although I'm still kind of ambiguous about the whole thing... Eh, what the hell, I'll back.

But if you're all such big FS fans, I'm curious as to how you managed to get the Seth and the Osiris the wrong way around? Osiris should be the heavy bomber, Seth should be the Athena equivalent (really, the Hercules equivalent, but you don't seem to have a Herc).

EDIT: Heh, unsurprisingly, super ninjaed on all points. :)
EDIT2: Ambiguous or not, you have my $100. Please do this right. I'd rather no game at all than a bad one.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 05:48:04 pm by Black Wolf »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Hi! This is the Other Chris (designer).

The "Light Bombers" pack with the Athena and Osiris is a confusing name. It's the pack that introduces the two basic, common bombers. The Osiris isn't a light bomber, correct, but it is lighter than the Amun.

The "Heavies" pack is not a bomber pack, but just the two bigger ships.

When organizing the ships and matching them up, I organized them by types based on their game stats. So even though the Osiris is longer than the Amun, the Amun's stats are superior.

I'd welcome any suggestions and feedback. If anyone is in the Orange County, CA area and wants to stop by for a game, let me know.

Thanks!

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Hi FreespaceDevCorp / Chris

That Interplay is cool with you guys going ahead with this is certainly very welcome news and I'm glad you registered, I for one look forward to any future interaction with you guys and updates from the project.

For the record I have placed a small backing on this.

also Posted to Reddit and FB
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Good news! I love board games, especially when they're based on my favorite continuities! :yes:

Is this game going to be expensive? Approximately one month ago, during the most important comic-con in Italy (Lucca Comics 2014), I looked for a decent board game based on sci-fi. I recall a game based on Star Wars, but it was insanely expensive. I hope your game will be way cheaper.

By the way, may I suggest Battlefleet Gothic as a base for capship battles?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline ^Graff

I would love to see a way to put capships in the game, even if it was just the miniatures attacking carboard cutouts.
By the way, may I suggest Battlefleet Gothic as a base for capship battles?
Or A Call to Arms?
I'll be pledging some money after Christmas is over.
Originally posted by Anduril:
Dang, Graff, you good.  :)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
One small detail I have noticed is that you are including shield markers when shields are a Great War technology
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I was really hoping a minatures game would come along in time, esspecially after the success of FFG's X-Wing (huge fan of the game, despite not being exactly a SW-fan); though I will hold my opinion until I've seen the full spectrum of gameplay, I wish the project all the best

(also I want Shivans; I like playing the "villans" on the tabletop)

ps. that shipping outside the US carries an addtional charge is a bummer (esspecially since import fees might also be applicable)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."