Author Topic: Delenda Est (spoiler!)  (Read 40510 times)

Re: Delenda Est (spoiler!)
I opened up Delenda Est in FRED and added a pair of events that track the amount of damage the Altan Orde and Katana have done to each other and send messages whenever one damages the other. I made no other changes to the mission aside from adding the messages and variables necessary for the events to work.

Playing through on Very Easy, the Altan Orde did eight damage to the Katana spread out over about 45 seconds, and the Katana did eight damage to the Altan Orde all in one go. I didn't see any obvious weapon fire between the two frigates in either case, and neither were destroyed until they were beamed by the Imperieuse (the Carthage got the kill for both). If GB would like, I can post the modified mission file here so that people who have the frigates blowing each other up can playtest with it and find out when the bulk of the damage is occurring.

On a semi-related note, Karunas having debris now is wonderful and really builds the atmosphere of Delenda Est--at the end of the mission, you can see the Imperieuse coming out of the Jovian ships' debris field as it bears down on the Yangtze. Unfortunately, in my playthrough today the Insuperable got plowed by a chunk of Altan Orde before it could get off that wonderful line about telling the Imperieuse it was surrendering.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
I guess the Karuna captains just couldn't take it anymore and snapped. "You know what Genady? I have had it with your ****! I'll desperta your ferro!"
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Pompos: can you link an attachment so I can dl that please?

And I think it's actually a plot by the Fedayeen who are playing both sides because they are actually the GTI in disguise which is why they don't even exist. ;)

EDIT: Just played the Blade Itself there, the Altan Orde died really quickly. I tried ignoring the bombers and going straight for the Ania on my 2nd playthrough, but again AO bought the farm. Is it possible armour events aren't triggering?

I'm getting the impression these two frigates were built on the cheap. Buy one get one free deal, Tesco Shipbuilding Corp.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 06:02:01 pm by Buckshee Rounds »

Offline qwadtep

Come to think of it, I noticed the Altan Orde going down really quickly the last time I played TBI, too. I kind of assumed it was intended since the AO being at 7-14% doesn't really matter since nothing but the first corvette attacks it anyway, but the armor being bugged makes sense.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Sweet lord almighty.  :(

I wish I could be more use. Could a kind, talented soul please diff The Blade Itself on a current build vs. 3.6.12 (or any earlier version of 3.6.14), then possibly build a test mission firing armor events to repro?

Pompos: can you link an attachment so I can dl that please?
Sure. The messages you're looking for are regular messages, not training messages (I didn't want them to interfere with the beam overload alerts). They've got alarm.ogg.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline qwadtep

A test mission firing of an MBlue does 33% to a Karuna at Heavy Armor 150 and 23% on default.  Result is the same on both RC2 and RC5.

Replaying TBI on Very Easy, Altan Orde rescued at 23% on RC2. Similar figure on RC5, but the Altan Orde continued to drop to 10% due to Simak Station spazzing out and colliding with it at 400m/s around it, which ceased once both corvettes were destroyed.

Which I -think- used to happen in 3.6.12, but I don't have the older version of BP to check.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Hey, assuming the BP2 update rolled out recently contains all the new HUD tables, we could port The Blade Itself over to our new capship command interface. Worth doing eventually.

BTW, is Simak Station SUPPOSED to spaz out when you get anywhere remotely close to it? Once I made the mistake of getting within two clicks, and then it randomly decided to start flying around randomly, (At some ridiculous speed, like someone was moving it like an icon on a desktop...  :shaking:) and walloped me down half to death... :confused:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
BTW, is Simak Station SUPPOSED to spaz out when you get anywhere remotely close to it? Once I made the mistake of getting within two clicks, and then it randomly decided to start flying around randomly, (At some ridiculous speed, like someone was moving it like an icon on a desktop...  :shaking:) and walloped me down half to death... :confused:

No, the station is supposed to be immobile, with the immobile flag set. Did that get ****ed up too?

I mean, it wasn't even moving around like a ship; it was literally jumping around. I can try video capping it, if I can reproduce it

EDIT: Okay, I reproduced it in a rather trippy video. Unfortunately, its also like 131 MB in size. Should I upload it here, somewhere else, or what?

And in case you want more detailed info for now, this is what I did:

I enabled cheats (the exact same thing happened to me the other day without them, so I figured they wouldn't change anything and I'm feeling too lazy to actually do the mission right now), turning on invincibility for myself, Simak, and the Altan Orde. I then proceeded to ram Simak station, (again, didn't do this before; I only got fairly close, but the same thing happened...) And the station literally stuck to me, rotating along my front as I turned (as far as I could tell.) Then, I managed to shake it off, only to have it orbiting around my wake. :confused:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 12:05:48 am by EternalRuin »

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Are you sure Simiak wasn't just getting stuck on your Rotator? There's a vid somewhere on youtube of exactly that happening, it's been around since 3612 at least.

I'll play the modified DE after work.

Offline crizza

Are we now comparing TBI to DE or what?
I mean, two completly different missions, which are most likely not scripted and fredded the same way...this is...odd...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Are we now comparing TBI to DE or what?
I mean, two completly different missions, which are most likely not scripted and fredded the same way...this is...odd...

No. We are trying to figure out of there's a bug in both missions related to armor events.

Unless I'm missing something, that can't be the issue in Delenda Est. There isn't an armor event for the Katana.

Edit: ...until after the corvettes pull out, and that event just sets it to Heavy 100, which is the Karuna default.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 10:11:28 am by LordPomposity »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Unless I'm missing something, that can't be the issue in Delenda Est. There isn't an armor event for the Katana.

Edit: ...until after the corvettes pull out, and that event just sets it to Heavy 100, which is the Karuna default.

There used to be an armor event but I believe it was patched out at one point. (it set them to armor 150  :nervous:)

Offline qwadtep

I enabled cheats (the exact same thing happened to me the other day without them, so I figured they wouldn't change anything and I'm feeling too lazy to actually do the mission right now), turning on invincibility for myself, Simak, and the Altan Orde. I then proceeded to ram Simak station, (again, didn't do this before; I only got fairly close, but the same thing happened...) And the station literally stuck to me, rotating along my front as I turned (as far as I could tell.) Then, I managed to shake it off, only to have it orbiting around my wake. :confused:
This is the same thing I've witnessed, but orbiting the Altan Orde. Obviously a collision-related bug, but probably not the same one as in Delenda Est, unless for some reason the Karunas are somehow registering as being much larger than they actually are and thwaking each other with their rotators.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Okay, played the modified DE single mission on Hard. Disarmed all corvette beams before Katana and Altan Orde jumped in, watched the engagement. Took out Carthage slashers and both fusion mortars. Katana did 14 damage to AO and AO did 4 damage to Katana. At this moment AO's hull was at 1%, Katana at around 11-12% and the Deinara was still alive at 15%, Legionary was gone.

I don't know what is causing so much damage, it just doesn't seem possible given all the anti-cap weapons were virtually gone in this playthrough. I did notice the Kyoto hitting AO a few times, but that doesn't account for Katana's damage either.

This is the same thing I've witnessed, but orbiting the Altan Orde. Obviously a collision-related bug, but probably not the same one as in Delenda Est, unless for some reason the Karunas are somehow registering as being much larger than they actually are and thwaking each other with their rotators.

Possible I guess, it's an original idea I'll say! If this was the case though surely this would have happened to Churchill and Indus in Post Meridian?

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
For the love of God, please record the "station getting stuck and spinning around you" on video. It sounds hilarious.

For the love of God, please record the "station getting stuck and spinning around you" on video. It sounds hilarious.
I think there already is one if you dig through the BP forum.