Author Topic: Naboo UVed  (Read 30886 times)

Offline rhettro

I think Thaeris might be referring to the places (most noticeably on the leading edge of the wing) where the shadows look like they are behaving unusually.  The leading edge seems to be a straight line, but the line between what is illuminated and what is in shadow wavers around.

I may need to rebuild the leading edge of the wing with a few more polygons to get it to shade correctly, although I'm not sure if FSO will render it in the same way. Also, there is the reflection of the nose of the engine on the wing that makes it look odd. The strange shading on the back edge of the wing is a result of a baked texture error. I can fix that in the textures themselves.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I don't know if more polygons is the problem. That looks like a triangle-mess due to either non-planar quads (the individual surfaces are not flat, causing the two triangles in the quad to not be in the same plane), or the model is simply just triangulated, and in this case the results are not in your favor. I think either you need software that can manually manipulate the lighting (like Blender or Max), or you need to re-do the edge loop on the leading edge. The latter is probably the better option, but your UV ma will need to be re-done as a result.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline rhettro

Basically done now. I rebuilt the connection between the engine and the wings as well as the front nose to give a more flowing shape. The abrupt transition between wing and engine was causing a shadin g problem, this version is a lot cleaner.  I plan on doing  proper lighting setup for some higher grade renderings. I think I have made some progress since my first version as you can see below.

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
That's an extremely decent render, I look forward to seeing if you can get it looking even better with improved lighting setups. Any chance of a shot comparing your wireframe mesh to the renderedview?
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
  • maveric modeler, the sky is just the begining
congrats rhettro, and yet again your texturing skills deffinately outdo mine, however you still however have a small challenge. adding over 3 decades of wear tear and neglect to make it look not nearly out of the factory as it does now, throw some dirt and damage layers on, I know you can do it

Offline rhettro

Thanks guys,

When I get home tonight I'll do a rendered / wireframe comparison. I spent a couple hours this weekend tweaking the colors the way I wanted them and just threw in some environmental lighting without much thought. I need to watch a few Youtube videos on creating a proper studio lighting setup and then I'll work on the real presentation renders.

Mando,

Thanks for the compliment, but I still have lots to learn. This is the second model I have ever done that had any kind of UV textures on them. My goal was to do the “factory fresh” version because it is the one everyone is familiar with. To be honest, after working on and off this model for the last three years I’m ready for something different. LOL If someone wants to do an aged version of the texture set, they are welcome to it. I may do a variant or two, but it will be in the vain of the whole thing getting painted in that matte off-white that the rebels love so much.  I’d really like to go on to my next model, maybe a Droid Vulture or a *cough*Tie Defender*cough. What model does the community want to see next?

Offline rhettro

Or maybe the Moldy Crow?

I really really like your idea with the TIE Defender.
Or how about the Missile Boat from TIE Fighter or Director Lencer's experimental remotely controlled TIEs from XWA?
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
hmmm I tried at the mouldy crow, getting it to an acceptable look is tricky though. Tie-Defender is easier. hmmmm I had a thought, could I talk to you on the FOTG IRC?

new note, since I dont want to do a new post:
well, mouldy crow would be quite fun, however, like I said, be careful, its tricky to do in an acceptable way, also another option would be the XG-1 starwing, and you have a little help with the slight redesigning required. I was going to do this myself, but I think you may have a better shot at it, so here is some old concept art from StarSlayer's shipyard, its not the complete picture, but I think you could work with it, though the design needs some polishing

wish you the best of luck, you may have a chance at finishing this thing, though others before you have tried and failed
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 06:17:42 pm by mandobardanjusik »

Offline rhettro

Render / Wire comparison for Lord Melvin.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
We had some really good discussion awhile back about a reimagining of the Starwing/Assault Gunboat, and I believe most of the consensus was to turn it into a side-by-side two-seater with strong visual ties to the Lambda shuttle (that pic Mando posted is a pretty decent example).  While work there stalled, I'd still love to see those ideas come to fruition.

Offline rhettro

Some more renderings, I was playing around different ground planes.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Just wondering, since the model and textures are completed, will the FoTG team consider adding the ship to the game (at least in FRED) if the ship has everything finished, including PCS2?

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I, for one, like the N1 and would love to see it in the game.  We may not have a use for it in our initial campaign but I think it would be a fine addition to multiplayer or as a general modding asset.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline rhettro

Considering the models I’m interested in doing, I think they will all go into the expanded content category. Right now I’m committed to helping Mando with the base textures to his Dagger class fighter. After that I’m going to take on three models at a time. My next three will be: The Droid Vulture, Slave-1 and the Tie Defender.  Other ships I’m considering: Missile Boat, Moldy Crow & Raven’s Claw, J-Type Diplomatic Barge and if  Tom Shak doesn't look like he’ll return I’ll take a stab at the Assault Gunboat.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I appreciate your enthusiasm, and the result on this craft has been more impressive than I originally expected.  However, given the time it took to reach this stage (almost 1 year to the day), unless you've fallen into an overabundance of free time I wonder if taking on more than one ship at a time might be stretching yourself a bit thin?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
personaly, I agree with most of those, I honestly had considered a stab at the Slave-1, however since curves generaly hate me, I wish you luck. and again thanks for your help rhettro. also, first in regard to the slave 1, by the battle of hoth a less modified general series of the firespray class had been created, and it just had the lasers, so think about that(the standard series is a partrol fighter, and prisoner transport). Now in relation to my own projects, as of right now, I am going to try and finish my WIPs(R-22, T-wing, possibly the R-41, and if I can get concept art from thaeris one other thing), but other than that, I have no plans, honestly I want to get done what I started and wanted to get into this, however I think I would much rather try and poor new efforts into else where. and again good luck rhettro

oh and chief, the way he put it to me was that he would take advantages of slow periods and problems in the other projects to focus on the other. his plan may be risky, but not impossible

Offline rhettro

unless you've fallen into an overabundance of free time I wonder if taking on more than one ship at a time might be stretching yourself a bit thin?

If anything I have less free time now. But keep in mind that the N1 was my learning model. I was teaching myself Blender, polygonal modeling and UV mapping all at the same time. The difference now is I don’t have to relearn all that; I can focus on the models. The reason I’m going to do them three at a time is to keep me interested. If I get frustrated with one model I can work on the other, plus I think it will be good for the board to watch the progression of several models verses one. That said, it will still probably take me a year to get those first three models done.

I find my work goes in spurts. I'll have long periods of inactivity, then inspiration will strike and I'll be able to work for a few good hours (which usually gets quite a bit done). So if you have the urge to model, don't ignore it. It might not come again for a while. It may also help to have self imposed deadlines too.

Your N-1 looks good. If I might make a suggestion, though. Polygons that are the same smoothing group try to blend together, regardless of the angle between each other. Having a single line between two areas can be okay if the angle between them is low enough, but if your angle exceeds a certain amount, you get these weird shadows forming on your model.

If you look at the leading edge of the wing and connection between the top and the bottom of the fuselage of your N-1, you'll notice these shadows that aren't supposed to be there. That's because you haven't got enough edges defining those areas. In future models (and this one, if you want), try adding a little bit more detail along those areas. I promise, it won't go amiss. Alternatively, you can also change smooth groups (which are defined by the edges rather than the polygons in Blender, I believe)