Author Topic: High Poly GTD Orion  (Read 118196 times)

Offline -Norbert-

If I'd noticed that, I would have disliked it back then too. Why not take the opportunity to change it now?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
...because it looks cooler that way ?

Am not sure what your point is.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It looked like that since retail, so we shouldn't be changing that. It's one of the noticeable features of the Orion, so it should be carried over to HTL version.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Well, some small artistic liberties can be taken here and there (look at the Sathanas and Ulysses), but not to the extent that TrashMan did with his Colossus... :nervous:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Andro, Trashmans' collie was explicitly modelled after the concept art. It was never supposed to be an HTL of the final Collie we got to see ingame.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline -Norbert-

...because it looks cooler that way ?

Am not sure what your point is.
You are not sure what my point is, when I say "I don't like that it looks like that"?
Then I'll try to clarify it a bit more for you:
I would prefer it, if the front of all three barrels were a 90° angle to the barrel itself (like the middle one alread is), because I think that would both look better and make more sense, since an angled front would most likely alter the projectiles (or whatever you want to call a plasma blob) trajectory.

It's not a big deal and I certainly woudn't be unhappy, if it stays this way (as I said before, I didn't even notice it was this way in retail... so much for it being a "noticable feature" by the way :p ). I just wanted to mention what I think about the sloped barrels and see how other think about the matter.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
I didn't notice it until you pointed it out even after looking at the HTL model, but now that I see it, it does look kinda funny. Like you, I wouldn't mind if it's changed or not.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Also, Goober and I have been revamping the docking animation code,which is rather more awesome now!

This also sounds interesting. Can you elaborate?
Ok well firstly the 'docking' and 'docked' animation triggers now work correctly (turns out they've been broken for years :( ), as well as 'initial' animations for non-turret submodels. Also both docked and docking type triggers work correctly with ships that either start the mission already docked or arrive already docked. Previously they'd take no notice of whether something was docked or not, and when the ship undocked the animations would reverse, but from their _starting_ locations, basically breaking them completely.

The undocking procedure has been modified so that ships will not physically separate until the 'docked' animation types have all been reversed, meaning docking clamps will work correctly and not look retarded when undocking.

The system also now can handle when a ship with 'docking' or 'docked' animations is the dockee ship rather than the docker ship - meaning you can put animated clamps on cargo containers and they will now work correctly. Goob has also put a load of work into ensuring all contingencies are covered for cases where like, a docked ship explodes, meaning the docker ship must reverse the docking and docked animations etc. We're still working on finalising that stuff but it's close. :)

Oh and sound effects now partially work as described in the wiki. Submodels can have a starting, looping and end sound assigned as you can hear in the video, but i'm having a bit of trouble getting the location of the looping sound to update with the ship's overall motion. Pretty sure it's to do with a fault in the function in the sound code. :\

Goob also made a SEXP trigger for animations which i'm sure will be ridiculously useful down the track when we have more animation capable ships around. :D

Why the SEXP? Can't you use script-eval in-mission to trigger a scripted animation? What does the new SEXP offer? Does it address the fact that, by using script-eval you trigger each and every one of the 'scripted' animations in the model?
I haven't actually been able to test this one just yet, but from reading the code it should allow us to trigger ANY type of submodel animation (including scripted ones), and also allow us to specify a specific subtype and a direction, and even specify whether or not to snap to the end position of that animation. I think it can also trigger all animations of a specific type. Quite useful and flexible indeed! :D

So, you could set up a list of possible animation scripts (say...type scripted) for each subobject, each with a different subtype. Then using this sexp with the appropriate subtype you could call any specific animation in any direction. Combining it with the logic system of the SEXPs, you could if you were so driven use this to make a mech walk correctly. :)

Anyway yeah, this is hijacking the thread a bit so I'll leave it there. Once we sort out everything and get it all committed and in an official build I'll write up some guidelines on how to use it all. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
And then FSO was MW5.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
My overall imprssion can be summed up in two words:

**** Yes!!!

(...and I do have to curse as Marty put it all those years ago)

I have a question though:

Will this model feature destroyed subsystems?
If nothing else, the sensor array would be a prime candidate for this.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq

sup
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Looking good. UV IT.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Hades

Still too much work needing to be done on it for that!
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Then what are you doing here answering to our questions instead of doing AWESOME MODELLING.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
because it's Hades, he needs EGO to fuel his creativity.

Seriously though, nicely done Hades, i think you have the general feel nailed in that shot.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Hades

----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I notice on the lower shot you have a recessed beam cannon, will you be doing a FS1 era version with a different modeled turret where the beams are?
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Hades

Of course. Those parts are separated from the main mesh so they can be reuved fairly easily etc.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The ditch wouldn't make the beam cannon any harder to disable, right? I mean, given that it's quite huge...
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Hades

No, it would not. If anything, they'll be easier to disable.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL