Author Topic: New heavy frigate  (Read 48183 times)

New updates!!  :)

aft bow

aft fore hangar entrance

aft hangar entrances

right side view

stern

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 08:22:32 am by whitearrow »

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
certainly looks good
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Luis Dias

Beautiful.

That is all.

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
It looks ****ing epic, I'll tell you that right now! Can't wait to see it finished!
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline Luis Dias

Draws the exact right lessons from the ISD.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
 Oh, now you can definetly see the BP influence. ;)

Some legendary shitp right here, folks!

I makes me think of a Karuna mixed with the shape of a Star Destroyer, badassified.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Actually, when I first saw it my first thought was "looks somewhat Cardassan in design influence".
Looks around anxiously to see if Leggate Dumar is listening. :nervous:
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I wonder if he's any relation to Legate Damar...

Draws the exact right lessons from the ISD.
For some reason, it makes me think more of the Kyoto-class, from X3: Albion Prelude.

On the other hand, I've previously described the Kyoto as a cross between an ISD and a Narn cruiser, so...

Either way, awesome ship!
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline An4ximandros

Makes me think of a hybrid between the Systems Alliance and the Turian whateversis ships from Mass Effect, actually.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Wait a minute, this is your first model? That's pretty effing impressive. I'm digging the aggressive lines!

Actually, when I first saw it my first thought was "looks somewhat Cardassan in design influence".

ehm, no, I've never been thinking about cardassian vassels for the design... maybe unconsciously, but it was not intentional...

For some reason, it makes me think more of the Kyoto-class, from X3: Albion Prelude.

On the other hand, I've previously described the Kyoto as a cross between an ISD and a Narn cruiser, so...

Either way, awesome ship!
Thank you! I never played X3 or Mass Effect. FS2 actually is the first space sim I'm playing from the time I quit playing Colony Wars series! Anyway, the models that inspired me most were the Executor from Star Wars (which is one of my favorite ships) and Yamato battleship from Star Blazers.

Wait a minute, this is your first model? That's pretty effing impressive. I'm digging the aggressive lines!

Thank you! Yes, except from ShadowWolf_IH's tutorial's training model, this is my first model. It's also the first time I've been doing 3d graphics...  :)
But I will need to go back to the tutorial when my model is finished, because I've done only the modelling steps. Texture, tables etc are still "strangers" to me! Indeed I'm a bit worried about them...  :nervous:

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
Trust me, they are easy to learn.  I picked turrets up just from the wiki, so they won't be a problem for you.  If this is your first endeavor, and you can get these kinds of results, the rest will be no problem.  The hardest part is deciding to do it.   When you go to UV it the guys in here will become an invaluable help.  The rest is pretty much a cake walk to learn.  As far as the texturing goes, I still go back to the tutorial for Shine and  Normal maps.  No need to worry, I think you'll be just fine.
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Finally, I completed the stern... you can see the main engine exhaust and secondary engines exhausts (those horizontal elements at main engines's sides). I tried to give them a stealthy shape according to the general design of the ship.

So here I am again! Here's a new weapon prototype. It is a pan-tilt gauss cannon, less powerful than the standard one mounted on karuna etc., but has a far superior fire rate. Its purpose is to accurately and rapidly take out GTVA's capital ships' beam emitters in mid-to-close range combat.

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline Darius

wow

This one's turning into a real beauty. I'm particularly enjoying the engines: makes it look like a stealth frigate for commanding black-ops operations.

Offline An4ximandros

This ship is turning out cool as heck; keep going.

PS: What's the current poly count?

the ships is made of 40796 faces - 81764 tris. (The gauss cannon is 1772 faces and 3892 tris.). Right now the ship has only 6 "mag-drivers" (another type of cannon I'm thinking of, you can't already see it in pictures). There is no gauss cannon or point defense guns, but I'm planning to add at least 8-10 gauss and several point defense turrets. Moreover I want to add a ventral tower and provide it with defensive weapons, and an electronic warfare suite. So... the poly count is going to grow a lot.

I read somewhere that some Shivans' ships are working well even if poly count is over 200000. Is it correct?

Offline Luis Dias

Yes, although I do think the Sathanas uses detail boxes cleverly.

If you want to take out some polys I do see some that are probably a waste (like the dense ripples you have in the back thrusters.... which could be executed perfectly with mere normal maps). Otherwise, the model is already pretty faceted I am slightly surprised to see 40k polycount in it.

But don't worry too much about polys. The biggest problem is textures.

EDIT: P3d window moved to the first post.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 04:24:04 am by whitearrow »