Author Topic: The Aesaar-Hades Terran Fighter Extravaganza  (Read 20759 times)

Re: The Aesaar-Hades Terran Fighter Extravaganza
The rest of his FS2 concepts are here, too.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It's too blocky. Herc II was always rather curvy and smooth. This looks like an alternate version. I suppose it would be nice to have regardless, but as a different ship, not as a normal Herc II.

Black Wolf had it exactly right when he called it a Herc 1.5: Starslayer even explicitly said he was trying to reimagine FS2 fighters in the style of FS1. I don't really think that's a good direction for FSU to go.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Okay, I can see this thread going straight into bad feedback territory.

A few things you should consider before posting stuff like "It's too blocky!" "It's not like the Herc 2!":

1. This model is not intended to be a replacement for the Herc 2 as it is in the MediaVPs. While it would be nice to have a replacement for that model and its textures, this probably won't be it.
2. It is based on concept art that explicitly deviated from the original :V: designs

As such, evaluate this model on the basis of how well it translates the concept art, and other general modelling stuff. Don't get your panties in a twist over how well this does as a 1:1 replacement for the old Herc 2.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Ah. If that's the case, it's great. Much better than the :v: design, in fact. :) It actually looks like it could have something in common with the original Herc.
Oh, and shouldn't this thread be in modding? If it's not intended to go into Mediavps, I don't see why it'd be in FSUP board. Moving this to modding would probably make it easier to avoid confusion and the following negative feedback.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Ah. If that's the case, it's great. Much better than the :v: design, in fact. :) It actually looks like it could have something in common with the original Herc.
Oh, and shouldn't this thread be in modding? If it's not intended to go into Mediavps, I don't see why it'd be in FSUP board. Moving this to modding would probably make it easier to avoid confusion and the following negative feedback.
Well, we put it here because we'll both personally be using it as the Herc 2 model and we are putting it out there for potential FSU use. I mean, it deviates about as much as some of the current models in the MVPs at the moment (Cain comes to mind).
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
Aye, what dragon said. I originally thought this was an awesome remake/reimagination of the Herc II, then I saw that this was in FSU so came to the same conclusion as most everyone else here.
If it does not have to meet FSU requirements then yeah, it's a beautiful idea of how the Herc II could look. It's angular, it's mean, it's detailed, it actually has an interesting shape, and I look forward to seeing where this, and the other promised models, end(s) up.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, we put it here because we'll both personally be using it as the Herc 2 model and we are putting it out there for potential FSU use. I mean, it deviates about as much as some of the current models in the MVPs at the moment (Cain comes to mind).
An FSU representative stated he's not interested in using it and nobody cares what you do to your own FSO installs. If it stays here, criticism will resume once this thread gets to 3rd page. It's a neat model, but doesn't really have much to do with FSU.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
An FSU representative stated he's not interested in using it and nobody cares what you do to your own FSO installs. If it stays here, criticism will resume once this thread gets to 3rd page. It's a neat model, but doesn't really have much to do with FSU.
For one, the FSU isn't decided by the word of one, single member and he didn't say that, he either said it might not go in or that it wouldn't be a replacement for the Herc 2 as we know it (basically, awknowledging that it's not the exact same as the Herc 2's design but it's still a strong enough model to go in).

However, with that in mind, complaining about it not being as curvy as the original design when that's a fundamental design choice we went into this with isn't going to do any good and it's not constructive, which I think was the main point of The_E's post.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Skarab

Just out of curiosity, why base these ships on Starslayer's concept art?  Don't misunderstand, this isn't a complaint or a challenge.  I'm curious because most models done here rely heavily on retail, whereas this seems to rely more on non-volition concept art.  For the record, I'm quite open to more dramatic changes in design than some folks here.  For example, during the debate over a hex vs round opening on the new arcadia, I would have been completely fine with completely round with no hex at all.  So what is it about Starslayer's concept art that persuaded you to take this direction instead of relying more heavily on retail or even a redesign of the current htl model? 

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Ah, okay, I understand now. In this case, disregard everything I said in my previous post. As a piece of concept art translation, it's a fine WiP and obviously going good places.

That said, I think it probably should have been put in FS Modding, if only to prevent misunderstandings like that - at the very least a little disclaimer in the first page to emphasize that it's not meant to be a direct Herc 2 replacement, and maybe to put into context Starslayer's designs as deliberately FS1esque evolutionary designs. As it stands, in this sub-forum, I t think it's  entirely reasonable for people to assume it's meant to be a direct Herc 2 replacement, and so to question the degree of curviness is legitimate in that context.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That is fair. I've moved the thread accordingly.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Aesaar

Just out of curiosity, why base these ships on Starslayer's concept art?  Don't misunderstand, this isn't a complaint or a challenge.  I'm curious because most models done here rely heavily on retail, whereas this seems to rely more on non-volition concept art.  For the record, I'm quite open to more dramatic changes in design than some folks here.  For example, during the debate over a hex vs round opening on the new arcadia, I would have been completely fine with completely round with no hex at all.  So what is it about Starslayer's concept art that persuaded you to take this direction instead of relying more heavily on retail or even a redesign of the current htl model?
The fact that both of us absolutely loathe the retail Herc2's appearance, and so have no interest whatsoever in making a faithful HTL of it.

This isn't true of the Perseus and Erinyes, but we think StarSlayer's work is interesting enough to model.  There are plenty of other people who would be willing to make faithful HTLs of those.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I was never fan of retail Herc 2, as it was as Hades said "a potato" with a fin, engines and cockpit. Alrough this one does not follow original lines, I really like this redesign as it resembles first Hercules much more than retail Herc II. I will find the Trinity again in the cockpit of this beauty with great pleasure :yes:
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Oh hey look at that!  Pretty snazzy :D

I'm lucky I randomly opened this thread.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
I'm totally up for a mini-mod that swaps the model(s?) for yours. I like this rendition more than :v:'s. :yes:
PS: Nice Hyperion too ;)

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Don't listen to the haters. Can I have this in my FSU?
I am a revolutionary.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Critique isn't hate.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Me want the reimagined Deimos class NOW !! :)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I'll make a few suggestions, as mentioned thickening up the central fuselage while trimming down the width of the engine pods might be worth checking out.  I might also make the fronts of the pods a slightly more rounded rather than come to a flat face.  I think that will help with the center fuselage to bulky pods issue and bring it more in line with the original Herc II.  The only other thing that I'll mention is the guns and access panels on the original design were meant to be pretty low profile/stealthy.  Having visible muzzles and extruded panels makes it look a little robust and aggressive but I liked the idea of having them all integral like a modern aircraft.  That said the last item is more a stylistic choice for you folks to figure out.

Anyway just a few ideas to kick around, so far its a great start and I look forward to seeing things develop.  :yes:

I'll be glad to provide any further input if you wish.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”