Author Topic: Maximum number of fighterbay paths?  (Read 2103 times)

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
Maximum number of fighterbay paths?
Is there a maximum number of 14 fighterbay paths attributable to a ship model? Cus' I'm currently trying to add lots and lots and lots of paths to the Orion model in order to make it launch lots and lots and lots of escape pods and they only use the first 14 paths.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Re: Maximum number of fighterbay paths?
We have more than that in FotG, but arguably it's possible that I've never tested the ones beyond the first 14, or just didn't notice the problem. Another possibility could be that that's the limit per fighterbay, and if you just split it into multiple fighterbays, it'll work.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I remember having to cut a pair of bay paths from the BP's Titan, back when I was on the main team. That was long ago, but it definitely used to be the case (it might have only been noted in the debug log, as this was the sort of issues I was fixing back then). It's probably still the case. Dunno what's the reason for that limit, though (16 I could understand as 2^4, but 14 is odd).

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I remember 12 from the time of 3.6.18 or something like that. Magnus from Shadow Genesis has 12 paths, each four for one hangarbay... But it was 3.6.18 :P. Current limit is probably much higher, for example for Battlestar from Diaspora that has thousands of them.

Hangarbay pathes as far as I know, do not require fighterbay subsystem to be attached to. In case of Faustus for example, there is no fighterbay subsystem but it's still possible to launch fighters from Faustus.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Um... the Diaspora exec is roughly equivalent to something between 3.6.13 & 3.6.16 :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Code: [Select]
#define MAX_SHIP_BAY_PATHS 31
Been that way since 2010; before that, it was 10. This can't easily be bumped above 31 due to using an int as a bitfield, but that should still mean 31 working paths. If only the first 14 paths are working, then that's a bug.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
Please excuse the necropost, I know it's not very welcomed here. But after over a year of modding absence I've returned to the work and this issue is still standing. Freespace still refuses to use more than the first 14 paths. Even when I link them to different fighterbay subsystems, only path01-path14 are being used. Also manipulating the file in the text editor directly doesn't help.

Any further suggestions?