Author Topic: GVF Satet Mk I (Vasudan Fighter/Interceptor 3D build)  (Read 5979 times)

Re: Vasudan Fighter/Interceptor 3D build
Final configuration for the GVF Satet Mk I.

https://p3d.in/muDt1

Ok, question: How do I know I have the 3D model scaled the correct size? I also want to add in the Vasuden cockpit too. I need to get the scale right before I start the UV Mapping for this. Correct?

All the best,
Jadehawk
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Re: GVF Satet Mk I (Vasudan Fighter/Interceptor 3D build)
Nah, you can take care of the size at the very end.
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Raven2001, good to know this. Now...off to UV map..GULP! Never done this before. To Boldly go where Jadehawk never been before...eh, wrong Universe!

All the best,
Jadehawk

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
If I were you, I would UVmost of the ship with Prioject from view function in Blender, on ortographic projection [key 5 on numepad]. Also you can just UV single gunport and missile tube and than copypaste them.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Thanks for that tip Betrayal, UV Mapping in Blender is exactly what my plan was.

All the best,
Jadehawk

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Why does that look like it was made in Spore..?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Why does that look like it was made in Spore..?
Not enough sharp edges... I guess :P
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Sore? Umm you mean Despora? Sorry, It's been awhile and never played that one yet. :) SO dunno what this looks like :)

All the best,
Jadehawk

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

So I have been incorporating a Vasuden Pilot and cockpit into this now. I initially used the one from the GVF Shu Mk II. But is there a better, more detailed cockpit model out there? I tried searching in the Wiki, but no joy.

Much thanks folks!

Jadehawk

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Aldo relased a fighter... GVF Imset? It has a nice vasudan cockpit, but to be honest I don't thing you need somethong more detailes than the one from Shu :P.

Ok, thanks for that! I have pretty much gotten a cockpit done on this one.....however, I think I may have borked the GVF Satet model as I actually cut the cockpit glass off the model. Seems I can't mirror anymore and also, the first time I put a model here: https://p3d.in/nQciO

Notice one window appears to be missing! The side windows I need to tweak as well. You can see some gimsology inside the rear of the cockpit too. No worries as I have multiple copies of this model to back track.

All the best,
Jadehawk

Ok folks, I need some help here. Question: Cockpit glass...does it really need to be a separate part extracted or cut from the model? If so, is the reason for this because so you can make it transparent? If I could, I'd rather not separate it at all.

Much thanks folks!

Jadehawk   

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Usually parts of the model with transparent textures are separated (as in, not welded to the rest of the mesh) to help with draw order issues. But this has been mitigated recently with -trans texture support. See if you have any issues leaving it attached.

You shouldn't need it to be a separate subobject.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! You saved me a bunch of stress pills! :)

Sometimes, less is more :)

All the best,
Jadehawk

Weekend Update:

Was not satisfied with the model in several ways...so, spent time going back and re-doing several things that were bugging me. Here is the end result:

https://p3d.in/ZidOv

All the best,
Jadehawk
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 11:11:31 pm by Jadehawk »