Author Topic: SC Cain Turret FOV  (Read 1781 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
So, I right now I am trying to fix stuff in the Memories of the Great War-campaings that is not exactly broken but doesn't perform to design either...

Today: Fusion Mortar#Shivan

Introduced in Hellgate: Ikeya to make Cains relevant against anything, the Fusion Mortar#Shivan was basically the missile the Fenris has but with a shivan reskin. But unlike the orginal it never did anything because they were hardly ever fired. So for the new update I was hoping I could change that (it is not that it doesn load of damage but looks nice). But right now the it still hardly ever is fired, mostly in situations that are already broadside-to-broadside, which is very suboptimal for the Cain.

And it kinda doesn work... So I am currently stuck at a fork where I don't know if it is a problem with SC Cain's turrets or with weapon (see bleow)...

Code: [Select]
$Name: Fusion Mortar#Shivan
$Model File: s_bomb.pof
$Mass: 0.1
$Velocity: 100.0
$Fire Wait: 1.0
$Damage: 80 
$Blast Force: 0.2
$Inner Radius: 0.0 
$Outer Radius: 0.0 
$Shockwave Speed: 0
$Armor Factor: 1.0
$Shield Factor: 1.0
$Subsystem Factor: 1.0
$Lifetime: 22.0
$Energy Consumed: 0.0
$Cargo Size: 1.0 
$Homing: Yes
+Type: HEAT
+Turn Time: 2.0
+View Cone: 160
+Seeker Strength: 3.0
$Free Flight Time: 1.0
$LaunchSnd: 102
$ImpactSnd: 88 
$FlyBySnd: -1
$Rearm Rate: 1.0
$Flags: ( "Big Ship" "Huge" "no subsystem homing" "no lifeleft penalty" )
$Trail:
    +Start Width: 0.25
    +End Width: 0.75
    +Start Alpha: 1.0
    +End Alpha: 0.0
    +Max Life: 1.5
    +Bitmap: NewMiss1
$Icon: icon_harbinger
$Anim: harbinger
$Impact Explosion: none

(I know the range is a bit short with 2000 but the considering that FS1-era ship-to-ship is very close ranged by default, I wanted not change that design.

This is how it currently looks and works (and only this way):

« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 10:17:16 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Axem

Re: Is this the SC Cain or this weapon?
Are the turrets that launch the fusion mortar set up right? Using Default SBank in the subsystem entry in the ship table and maybe increasing the fov of the turret in the actual POF file. The game might be thinking you just have a really weird primary you're trying to fire.

Offline 0rph3u5

Using Default SBank in the subsystem entry in the ship table

It is changed on a per mission basis not in the tables; The table data is bascially current FS_Port with FS_port_MVPs and MVPs 2014

and maybe increasing the fov of the turret in the actual POF file.

Will have to check that...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline Axem

Hehe right, I forgot that the Cain has missile turrets. Looking at the model file the turrets just have a fov of 120 which is pretty limited for anti-capital missiles. You'll probably need to make a copy of the model file with the fov increased (and copy of the table entry too).

Offline 0rph3u5

Thanks for the info

Will do just that (*sigh* there goes the resolution to not ship with extra-extra bits)

==================

If the objective is predominately to make the Cain relevant in combat, you could always change the SBanks to PBanks, and equip it with a decent weapon, such as an SRed. It already has the parabolic turret shape that some beams like to use.

I ended up making swarm bombs (GTVA and Shivan variants) that are warship-launched, with edited .pof's to give them decent firing arcs. Swarm-bomb-Cains are mildly effective, and depending on how long the bomb's flight time is, you could turn the Cain into a light torpedo artillery ship.
"Obviously the meson bomb is a form of cat-toast-device, with the buttered toast inverted, so that the cat and toast both fly in the direction of gravity much faster than expected. By introducing artificial gravity, a pair of cat-toast perpetual motion accelerator units can be made to collide with one another, and they produce an unimaginably devastating explosion. Both cats are named 'Meson'."

- Wikileaks 2383

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I don't think SRed is an option, seeing as it seems to be a GW-era campaign. Cain shouldn't have beams in that case. Swarm bombs could work, though.

Offline 0rph3u5

Okay, finally got around to do the FOV changes... working out so far but I am going to do a few changes to the weapon as well.

I also transfered the changes to the SD Demon (finally the missile destroyer-variant I've tried to create for ages :D )... we will see how that works out

==================